Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells: Gimmicky or good deal?

Options
I'm thinking about grabbing a set. Anyone have them? Thoughts?

http://www.bowflex.com/selecttech/552/100131.html?adID=DOSG2DSL11&psearch=1&gclid=CITx18-5g9ECFd61wAodzfMB_Q

Thanks in advance for replies folks.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They're just adjustable dumbbells...they seem a little pricey compared to others I've seen...probably because of the name.

I have a set of adjustable dumbbells and they work fine...I don't use them all that often, but they work fine.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    They're realllllly expensive for what you're getting.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Thanks @cwolfman13 and @GottaBurnEmAll

I wasn't sure if the adjustable was cheap and prone to break or not, near as I can tell it's the real deal, but I'll definitely shop for a better deal. Thanks folks :)
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Save your money and join a gym!!
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Save your money and join a gym!!
    Heh - I could do Planet Fitness for over a year for the cost of these things lol. Convenience has me working out at home though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

I wasn't sure if the adjustable was cheap and prone to break or not, near as I can tell it's the real deal, but I'll definitely shop for a better deal. Thanks folks :)

I have a set of adjustable dumbbells, and they were the same weight, but a lot cheaper than that!
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I have a set of adjustable dumbbells, and they were the same weight, but a lot cheaper than that!

I want to say mine were $150 or something...it's been awhile though.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

That's good to know. Thing is, most sporting goods stores here only sell the Bowflex, or this one other that looks like a block, I can't remember the name. I'll have to hit Walmart or Target after the silly season is over to see what they have.

I'm glad I asked though - as expensive as some equipment is, I just accepted that it was going to hurt the wallet.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

That's good to know. Thing is, most sporting goods stores here only sell the Bowflex, or this one other that looks like a block, I can't remember the name. I'll have to hit Walmart or Target after the silly season is over to see what they have.

I'm glad I asked though - as expensive as some equipment is, I just accepted that it was going to hurt the wallet.

Take a look on amazon...
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Take a look on amazon...
    Will do, thanks.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I got the PowerBlock adjustable. Same weight range but, also, same/similar price range. I like them. You get a lot of weight range out of the two dumbbells. Had them for over a year. I really don't think they are going to break anytime soon ;-)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've owned a pair of the Bowflex adjustables (5 - 52.5 lbs.) for about 5 years. I used them almost daily for the first year before joining a gym, and they've gotten occasional use since. They're well made and have held up fine. Obviously since they have moving parts they won't hold up to being thrown around or abused like a cast dumbbell would, but as long as you don't go all Incredible Hulk with them, they're fine.

There are some things I'd rather spend the extra money on for quality - and heavy objects that I'm going to be lifting and holding over my head/face fall into that category. :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I got the PowerBlock adjustable. Same weight range but, also, same/similar price range. I like them. You get a lot of weight range out of the two dumbbells. Had them for over a year. I really don't think they are going to break anytime soon ;-)
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I've owned a pair of the Bowflex adjustables (5 - 52.5 lbs.) for about 5 years. I used them almost daily for the first year before joining a gym, and they've gotten occasional use since. They're well made and have held up fine. Obviously since they have moving parts they won't hold up to being thrown around or abused like a cast dumbbell would, but as long as you don't go all Incredible Hulk with them, they're fine.

There are some things I'd rather spend the extra money on for quality - and heavy objects that I'm going to be lifting and holding over my head/face fall into that category. :)

Thanks guys - and that bold, that is one excellent point lol.

I appreciate the feedback folks. Browsing Amazon now for dealz :)
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I did some pretty extensive research when I shopped a few years ago. I highly recommend Powerblock Urethanes. IMO they are the best hands down.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I did some pretty extensive research when I shopped a few years ago. I highly recommend Powerblock Urethanes. IMO they are the best hands down.
    Those are sweet for sure. There's a store here that has those and the selecttechs side by side. If I go the more expensive route I'll have to check them out, thanks.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've had a set since 2007. They're excellent and I have had ZERO issues with them. As long as you don't drop them, they'll hold up just fine.

That said, if they ever break I'll be replacing them with Ironmasters:

http://www.ironmaster.com/categories/dumbbells-kettlebells
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I've had a set since 2007. They're excellent and I have had ZERO issues with them. As long as you don't drop them, they'll hold up just fine.

That said, if they ever break I'll be replacing them with Ironmasters:

http://www.ironmaster.com/categories/dumbbells-kettlebells

Oh I like the looks of the ironmasters - that's the only locking system I've seen that has full bars available too.

Thanks! The more decent options the better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i have had my set for about eight years now and no issues. since joining the gym, I do not use them as much but they come in handy when I can't get to the gym and want to do something ...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, in my experience they were cheaply made, waaaaaay too big and not practical, plates get stuck and a plate fell out and i had to fight with bowflex to replace it... ended up selling mine and just bought real dumbells for my house ... there are some adjustables out there I've seen and a few I've used that are good, i wouldn't buy the bowflex ones though thats just my opinion