Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells: Gimmicky or good deal?

2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I have a Powerblock Kettlebell and it's great. Looking the Bowflex vs Powerblock it seems to be as @antdelsa says, the Bowflex seem too big.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited December 2016
    Bought a pair of Gold's Gym adjustable dumbells (50# each) w/stand for just $100 off of Craigslist.

Almost never use them because my lifting routines are all compound barbell workouts.

Just bought them "just in case" I might use them and doesn't matter if I do or not because they were so cheap and don't take up too much room (like a bunch of loose dumb bells would) .

$500 for the Bowflex plus the stand (which you need) is too much. Often see Bowflex and other adustable dumb bells on Craigslist. If you gotta have it, I suggest you look there instead.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Thanks for the replies folks. Yeah, I'm balking at spending that much, so ebay and craigslist it is. Cheers :)
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have a Powerblock Kettlebell and it's great. Looking the Bowflex vs Powerblock it seems to be as @antdelsa says, the Bowflex seem too big.

Yeah just the length of them was super impractical, hard to do certain movements and get a full ROM. They're really long, but if you can find a great deal then hey go for it i used them for the time i had them but ultimately like i said i prefer standard dumbells
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    antdelsa wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yeah just the length of them was super impractical, hard to do certain movements and get a full ROM. They're really long, but if you can find a great deal then hey go for it i used them for the time i had them but ultimately like i said i prefer standard dumbells

Yes they are a hair unwieldy ...I keep mine in the garage for those times when can't get to gym
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    The same set is listed in Amazon right now for $259.00.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I like mine a lot. Yeah...they were expensive (I took a pass on buying the stand) but it was worth it for me because I have to workout at home a lot, and I don't have space to store tons of dumbells. I'm small and short so they did take a little getting used to because of the size. Surprised that the guys find them so awkward. I haven't had any issues with breakage either.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I like mine a lot. Yeah...they were expensive (I took a pass on buying the stand) but it was worth it for me because I have to workout at home a lot, and I don't have space to store tons of dumbells. I'm small and short so they did take a little getting used to because of the size. Surprised that the guys find them so awkward. I haven't had any issues with breakage either.

Me too. There's not a lift I can't do with them. Perhaps I'm just used to them as I've been using them for so long. <shrugs>

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    I have a set of those. They are OK. They seem to be build pretty well, but you do have to be somewhat careful with them - you don't want to drop them. Also, they are bulky, so some exercises I find to be awkward because of the length of them. The 552's are not hardly heavy enough for me either.

I think if I had it to do over, there are better options out there like the powerblock or the ironmaster quick-locks.

If you get a great deal in the bowflex on craigslist or something, go for them, but otherwise, I'd get something else. Really, you can't beat just a plain old set of standard dumbbells, but if space is an issue, the adjustable ones are OK.