Just tried my fist quest bar

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,147 Member
    Options
    Funny, I mostly like the chocolate / brownie ones and find the others (lemon, raspberry, cookie dough, etc) pretty nasty tasting with a bothersome texture. Luckily I can buy them in singles to try them, and then only buy boxes of the ones I like. I also get a great discount since my gym membership gets me a reciprocal discount at some of the local shops that sell them, so they are very reasonably priced.

Have to agree the Baked FitCrunch Bar was pretty amazing (and ate only half of a large bar at a time). However, the FitElite bars also by Robert Irvine are so nasty - much worse than Quest bars, IMO.

If nothing else both of these findings confirmed for me to not disregard an entire brand because I don't like one of the items...sometimes you have to try them all (different flavors, different types) before you find what you like. And other times, yep, you won't find one that you do like. People raved about the Oh yea One bars in another thread, but I didn't like any of them.

I agree though that for the most part, even quality protein bars are less than stellar in the taste department. I eat the handful of quest bars that I do like mainly for the protein and the fiber.

But we all have different taste buds, so what's good to me is going to be yucky to others and vice versa. I have friends that love cilantro in their salsa, but to me it tastes like dish soap...so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt (for added flavoring).
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Every time I have had a Quest bar, my head starts throbbing for several minutes afterwards. I'm thinking it's the fake sweetener or something. Anyone else experience this??
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who didn't notice a difference between the old and the new formula? They still taste the same to me.

I've heard this from people who ate them a few times a week or less frequently. How much did you eat them? I noticed those who ate a lot of them really could tell the difference (I am talking one or more a day LOL).

I've been eating them for years, but yeah only a few a week. They're incredibly expensive here ($45 per box), so i treat them like gold bars lol and only have one when I'm really craving it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who didn't notice a difference between the old and the new formula? They still taste the same to me.

I've heard this from people who ate them a few times a week or less frequently. How much did you eat them? I noticed those who ate a lot of them really could tell the difference (I am talking one or more a day LOL).

I've been eating them for years, but yeah only a few a week. They're incredibly expensive here ($45 per box), so i treat them like gold bars lol and only have one when I'm really craving it.

Screw that noise.

Luckily MyProtein finally made their IMO (the "fiber" used in the old Quest bars) bars available in the US. I picked up like 5 boxes of 12 for $82. They should arrive early next week, and given the price point, I may have a new go-to, so long as they don't suck.

Also, I found No Cow bars to be pretty decent, especially the dark chocolate ones. Just glad the vegans finally figured out that soy makes a *kitten* bar, and discovered that rice and pea proteins can be combined to give a proper amino complex.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Screw that noise.

Luckily MyProtein finally made their IMO (the "fiber" used in the old Quest bars) bars available in the US. I picked up like 5 boxes of 12 for $82. They should arrive early next week, and given the price point, I may have a new go-to, so long as they don't suck.

Also, I found No Cow bars to be pretty decent, especially the dark chocolate ones. Just glad the vegans finally figured out that soy makes a *kitten* bar, and discovered that rice and pea proteins can be combined to give a proper amino complex.

I just checked the Aussie Myprotein website and their bars range from $28 to $35 a box, so a slightly better deal than Quest. @Gallowmere1984 let me know what you think of them.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Screw that noise.

can't wait to hear how you liked them. I hope they are as good as old formula quest.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited December 2016
    Options

Screw that noise.

can't wait to hear how you liked them. I hope they are as good as old formula quest.

Hopefully, but we shall see. Thr current US selection is still limited to five flavors at the moment, so I got a box of each.

Currently available: almond vanilla, chocolate, apple cinnamon, cookies and cream, and caramel peanut.

I am hopeful, but I also realize that IMO alone, a good bar does not make. There have been plenty of really bad bars made by people trying to tap into Quest's success over the years. We shall see on Tuesday, assuming that my order arrives on schedule.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I placed an order with Myprotein last week. I stupidly assumed that they had a warehouse in Australia.. When i received the tracking number was when i realised it was coming direct from the UK. I guess I'll receive it some time next year, and that's if customs lets it through, which MP assured me they would oi! Even with the shipping included, it was still cheaper than buying similar products here.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, in general, are not worth it for me. If I'm spending 200 calories on a snack I can do better taste and price wise than a protein bar. I'd rather go for a Twix or a Toblerone. Yes it has protein, but I'm not as strict about my protein intake as some, so there is that.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So, my bars from MyProtein arrived several days early. I managed to make room for two in my cals and macros today. Honestly, they are better than the old Quest bars, in my opinion.

1: Extremely chewy (to the point where it actually slows eating), so that's a plus over the chalky bleh of the new Quest formula.

2: The chocolate bar actually tastes like chocolate, and not chemical warfare.

3: They are slightly heavier than Quest bars (65g vs. 60g).

4: They didn't use any sugar alcohols, which is a plus for those who are sensitive to them.

5: The nutrion labels are far more precise, I am guessing because of UK standards. For example, the chocolate bar is 192 kcals, and the apple cinnamon is 198. Macros are about the same as Quest bars, but some bars are lower fat than others. All are between 19.7 and 21g of protein.

6: As with everything MP does, the pricing is beyond competitive. As I said, I got 60 bars for $84 US, and my shipping was free, due to the size of the order. $1.40 per bar is insane for any bar, let alone one I am enjoying this much.

Overall, this is the first time in years I've been excited for a new entry in the protein bar market.

Thanks for the review I will be ordering these. I am in desperate need of a new protein bar none of the others I have tried are cutting it. Let me know which flavor is best.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    So, my bars from MyProtein arrived several days early. I managed to make room for two in my cals and macros today. Honestly, they are better than the old Quest bars, in my opinion.

1: Extremely chewy (to the point where it actually slows eating), so that's a plus over the chalky bleh of the new Quest formula.

4: They didn't use any sugar alcohols, which is a plus for those who are sensitive to them.

5: The nutrion labels are far more precise, I am guessing because of UK standards. For example, the chocolate bar is 192 kcals, and the apple cinnamon is 198. Macros are about the same as Quest bars, but some bars are lower fat than others. All are between 19.7 and 21g of protein.

6: As with everything MP does, the pricing is beyond competitive. As I said, I got 60 bars for $84 US, and my shipping was free, due to the size of the order. $1.40 per bar is insane for any bar, let alone one I am enjoying this much.

Overall, this is the first time in years I've been excited for a new entry in the protein bar market.

Thanks for the review I will be ordering these. I am in desperate need of a new protein bar none of the others I have tried are cutting it. Let me know which flavor is best.

So far, I've managed to make three of them fit into my calories and macros for the day. I am tempted to put in an extra couple of miles to get in the other two though.

So far, my preference order is:
    1) chocolate - I am honestly amazed that someone managed to make a chocolate protein bar that isn't just not terrible, but it actually one of the best bars I've ever had.
    2) cookies and cream: completely different from what one might be used to with Quest. The cookie bits are much smaller, and more add a texture and flavor profile, rather than being overbearing wads of chalk like Quest's cnc.
    3) apple cinnamon: still very good, but less chewy than the first two. The fine chunks of apple include skin, which was a pleasant surprise for me. I hate it when bars just have the meat of the apple in them, as the skin is my favorite part.

If I manage to get to the almond vanilla and caramel peanut later today, I'll drop in another update. If not for the fact that I have a pound of 95/5 ground beef that I have to cook and eat tonight, I'd be willing to drop that to get the other two in. Yeah, that good so far, that I am willing to pass on a pound of meat to be able to eat them, which is unheard of for me.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

So far, I've managed to make three of them fit into my calories and macros for the day. I am tempted to put in an extra couple of miles to get in the other two though.

So far, my preference order is:
    1) chocolate - I am honestly amazed that someone managed to make a chocolate protein bar that isn't just not terrible, but it actually one of the best bars I've ever had.
    2) cookies and cream: completely different from what one might be used to with Quest. The cookie bits are much smaller, and more add a texture and flavor profile, rather than being overbearing wads of chalk like Quest's cnc.
    3) apple cinnamon: still very good, but less chewy than the first two. The fine chunks of apple include skin, which was a pleasant surprise for me. I hate it when bars just have the meat of the apple in them, as the skin is my favorite part.

If I manage to get to the almond vanilla and caramel peanut later today, I'll drop in another update. If not for the fact that I have a pound of 95/5 ground beef that I have to cook and eat tonight, I'd be willing to drop that to get the other two in. Yeah, that good so far, that I am willing to pass on a pound of meat to be able to eat them, which is unheard of for me.

Omg
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @Gallowmere wtf are they called? There's like 20 different options on their website! The closest i can find to the macros you posted are my bar zero.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    @Gallowmere wtf are they called? There's like 20 different options on their website! The closest i can find to the macros you posted are my bar zero.

Yeap, those are the ones.
  • mariameats
    mariameats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find all the flavors disgusting and chemical-y tasting
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    T @Gallowmere1984 thanks for the rec got an email with 30% off code so I'm ordering tonight
  • Christine_72
    Options
    mariameats wrote: »
    I find all the flavors disgusting and chemical-y tasting

I've noticed that chemically aftertaste with the cheesecake or dessert type flavours and to a lesser extent, the cookies and cream one. But i dont get it with double choc chunk, brownie and cookie dough flavours.
  • Boom_Slime
    Boom_Slime Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't like the texture, but some prefer them heated up in the microwave although I've not tried it. Quest bars aren't worth it, there's way too many calories and they just make me crave more food.