I'm embarrassed to run...

Options
12346»

Replies

• becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was in the 260s, and I get where you're coming from. You just have to get out there though, if it's something you want to do. I've also swam and lifted weights to help lose weight. Eating habits are going to be your best bet at losing the weight though, and I'm sure as you lose you will feel more confident!
  • limzzz
    limzzz Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As someone who is 270, I understand how you feel. What may help is first walking where you plan on running first and see who's there. Then day after day pace your speed faster until you are up to running. People will see you making an effort and if they make fun of you who cares? YOU are making a great choice by being active. Everytime I see a "bigger" person running/walking/bycicling I always encourage them by telling out the window "you can do it".(they probably think I'm crazy)
  • angeleyes010974
    angeleyes010974 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been doing tons of research on being morbidly obese and wanting to run and seeing how it is possibly and can be done just from reading this inspiring thread! I have always wanted to start running. I too had the C25K app before in the past. Never finished the 8 week course but I did lose some weight though but sadly gained it all back. But I am back on here again, getting my weight back down because I have been sick from my high blood sugar and blood pressure and I am literally sick of taking medication and wanted to make that change and started eating right and hitting the gym at least 5 days per week and I am back to feeling better. I treated myself Friday to a new pair of Nike running shoes! I am ready to take off and start running! #slowprogressisstillprogress
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out I was terrified of what others would think. I got over it and now I’m pretty fit and really enjoy working out.

We all start somewhere.

• Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I was also over weight and I personally was super self conscious. I decided to run in my neighborhood at night. The neighborhood is well lit so it was safe, but because it was dark out I felt less self conscious. It was also an added bonus for me that it’s usually cooler at night
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies so sorry if this is a duplication.

I started running at about 235lbs (I'm still not exactly skinny) and was terribly self-conscious until I realized two things.

1) We're all but invisible to non-runners, in over a decade of running the closest thing I got to mockery was a good natured "Run, Forrest, run....." -and-

2) The running community tends to very inclusive and welcoming of new runners. I'm pretty sure that there's a Running Room in Peterborough and they have free group runs for runners of all abilities and goal distances, right from learn to run programs to competitive marathoners and everything in between. Check it out......

I got running almost accidentally (I wanted to get in better shape for old timers soccer) and discovered that I actually really enjoyed running.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    just go do you. I give props to anyone that's out running...period.
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There is a Facebook group that is called Slow Runners. I love the support on that group. I want you to RUN if you feel like you are interested. Life only get better if you attempt new things, gather a support system, find positive people, and find your interests
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid runner and I see a lot of overweight people running all the time. That just shows your motivation and trying to do something about it. Good for you and good luck to you in your weight loss.
  • Runner1393
    Runner1393 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started running at 249lbs! Who cares what anyone says or thinks. Losers make fun of people trying to better themselves!
    I’m 160lbs now, so enduring the initial embarrassment paid off. ;) you’ll be fine. Start slow, find your pace, listen to some good music, and just tune everything else out. Xoxox
  • kkjones25
    kkjones25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You totally got this. I don't know where you live, but Fall is a nice time of year to run because the weather is getting cooler. Stick with it and like others have said, find a group you feel comfortable with and lean on them for motivation.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I know it's easier said than done, but I say just go out there and get your run on. Who cares what others say. People can be cruel, but you are out there trying to better yourself...no one should be criticizing that. You could be a motivation for someone and not even know it...they might see you running and think, "I should get out there and run too. If he can do it so can I." Just put some music on and get in your zone and tune everyone else out. You have a goal...go out there and achieve it.

I see this is an older post...I'm curious how the OP is doing? Did you start running?
  • woodybush
    woodybush Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I know it's easier said than done, but I say just go out there and get your run on. Who cares what others say. People can be cruel, but you are out there trying to better yourself...no one should be criticizing that. You could be a motivation for someone and not even know it...they might see you running and think, "I should get out there and run too. If he can do it so can I." Just put some music on and get in your zone and tune everyone else out. You have a goal...go out there and achieve it.

I see this is an older post...I'm curious how the OP is doing? Did you start running?

Looks like they haven't been online since December 2016. We may never know....