What are your favourite low-calorie sources of protein?

Options
Titoki1
Titoki1 Posts: 39 Member
edited December 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've been on MFP for a month and it's mostly been a HUGE wakeup call rather than a weight loss success, but I am starting to get the hang of it. My logging has shown me I'm way under my protein requirements and also my iron goal - that explains my low iron count recently. I've definitely been struggling to stay in my 1200 calorie goal, so what are your favourite lower-calorie sources of protein? And any hints on bumping iron? Thanks!

*Edit: I just did a protein calculator that told me my goal was 140g per day. And I can't even make 60! Yikes...

Replies

• Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My favorite low calorie protein sources are haddock, cod, tuna, and chicken breast. Basically, any lean protein source should be low in calories per serving.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The main thing to keep in mind is that there will always be 4 calories per 1 gram of protein and then the calories that make up the rest of the item.
    Such as fat calories, carb calories - etc.
    Typically a widely recognised high protein, relatively low calorie 'meat' is Turkey breast, followed closely by chicken.

There are other options is neat isn't your thing - peas for instance have a nice dose of protein and have the benefit of being a low calorie addition to most meals!

Another favourite of mine - spinach, though not 'high' in protein as such - it contains enough considering the low calrories in spinach.

There are an endless number of options - also, fish is another good one! Several widely available fish are high in protein and relatively low in calories, with the added bonus of increasing your Creatine, the natural way!

All the best and great to hear your lifestyle is going fantastic thus far!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Canned or fresh tuna, egg whites, chicken breast, cod, shrimp, turkey, 0% Greek Yogurt, whey protein are all pretty lower cal and good sources of protein
  • Titoki1
    Options
    The main thing to keep in mind is that there will always be 4 calories per 1 gram of protein and then the calories that make up the rest of the item.
    Such as fat calories, carb calories - etc.
    Typically a widely recognised high protein, relatively low calorie 'meat' is Turkey breast, followed closely by chicken.

There are other options is neat isn't your thing - peas for instance have a nice dose of protein and have the benefit of being a low calorie addition to most meals!

Another favourite of mine - spinach, though not 'high' in protein as such - it contains enough considering the low calrories in spinach.

There are an endless number of options - also, fish is another good one! Several widely available fish are high in protein and relatively low in calories, with the added bonus of increasing your Creatine, the natural way!

All the best and great to hear your lifestyle is going fantastic thus far!

Thanks! Turkey breast isn't readily available in my country .. sad... I had completely forgotten about the 4cal-1gram thing.

Peas! Yes that's great thank you!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. Generally you can get in a fair amount of protein for low calories making a protein smoothie for breakfast.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My favorite low calorie protein sources are haddock, cod, tuna, and chicken breast. Basically, any lean protein source should be low in calories per serving.

This. Fish is by far my favorite low cal protein source.

With regard to protein powders, I just started adding a vegan protein powder to my green smoothies. The one I use (Living Protein by LivingFuel) has 21 grams of protein per serving and is much easier on my stomach than whey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,724 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread, you'll be glad you did:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

Also, I'm wondering about that 140g goal, which seems like quite a lot, unless you're quite tall. I hope you're calculating your protein target based on a healthy goal weight, or based on lean body mass.

Many people try to get more than the RDA for protein - I do - but at my way of figuring (which isn't crazy low - well above RDA) 140g would be reasonable for someone whose healthy goal weight was 175 pounds or more - fairly high for a woman, unless someone reasonably tall.

Even the bodybuilders around here don't often seem to recommend more than about 1g per pound of goal weight, or per pound of lean body mass (the part of a your weight that isn't comprised of fat). I shoot for 0.8g per pound of goal weight, which is well above RDA. (We may need more than RDA when losing weight, when very active, when weight training, or as we age.)

Was the calculator on a bodybuilding site? Did it use your current weight rather than your goal weight?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Canned fish! Sardines, oysters, and herring in olive oil are my favorite, and flavored salmon packets.

Plains chicken is my second favorite, stir fried in olive oil.

Eggs are my third favorite, you guessed it, scrambled in olive oil
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein makes these incredibly delicious chocolate protein bars that are as soft and chewy as a Brownie. So delicious and only 180 calories with 21g of protein. I also drink half and Odwalla protein drink in my coffee concentrate in the morning. Half of one is 16g of protein and like 135 calories. Then, there are eggs, lean chicken, and grass fed beef. Love those. Just tried the Quest protein chips. 130 calories a bag and 22g protein. They take some getting used to. They are made from psyllium fiber instead of potatoes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Today it was 4 slabs of baby back ribs and a 5 pound prime rib roast, slow cooked in my smoker. Well, I didn't eat all that today (and some was shared with family/friends), but I'll be making a dent in it here and there over the next week or so!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My favorite low calorie protein options are grilled chicken breast, nonfat plain Greek Yogurt, and egg whites. MRM makes a protein powder that is 90 calories per serving.

I'm going to second the previous poster in saying that 140g of protein seems really high. That would be really tricky to do within 1200 calories. Start with 1 gram per kilogram of your body weight. If you weight train, you may want to add more. I'm 5'9, 153lb and I eat 138g of protein a day which is 2g per kilogram.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Tuna, mahi mahi, shrimp, lobster, chicken breast, no fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sardines, mussels, turkey, lean picnic ham, protein powder,
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    1 scoop Isopure Whey Isolate mixed with a cup of coffee and 4oz chocolate milk.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Halo top ice cream lol
  • Titoki1
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

Also, I'm wondering about that 140g goal, which seems like quite a lot, unless you're quite tall. I hope you're calculating your protein target based on a healthy goal weight, or based on lean body mass.

Many people try to get more than the RDA for protein - I do - but at my way of figuring (which isn't crazy low - well above RDA) 140g would be reasonable for someone whose healthy goal weight was 175 pounds or more - fairly high for a woman, unless someone reasonably tall.

Even the bodybuilders around here don't often seem to recommend more than about 1g per pound of goal weight, or per pound of lean body mass (the part of a your weight that isn't comprised of fat). I shoot for 0.8g per pound of goal weight, which is well above RDA. (We may need more than RDA when losing weight, when very active, when weight training, or as we age.)

Was the calculator on a bodybuilding site? Did it use your current weight rather than your goal weight?

Thanks for the great link. Yes it was a bodybuilding site .. not on me right now ... in which i inputted current weight, height, goal weight, activity level. I'm only 5'5.. Glad to hear it sounds like too much!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,724 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks for the great link. Yes it was a bodybuilding site .. not on me right now ... in which i inputted current weight, height, goal weight, activity level. I'm only 5'5.. Glad to hear it sounds like too much!

FWIW, at 5'5", in maintenance in low 120s (and active, and age 61) I'm going for 100g daily as a minimum, and usually exceeding, it while eating vegetarian. On tighter calories while losing, I usually tried for at least 80g. Just my opinion, though, not Revealed Truth. I think 100g on deficit calories could be workable for an omnivore, but it's only a theory. ;)
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Lean cuts of read meat are high in iron (and also protein), but if you don't want to go that route, I'd suggest investing in a good multivitamin that has iron in it. I use Centrum, and the label says there's 100% of recommended daily amount of iron