Help! Plateau/weight loss stoppage

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just happened to look at your diary and you are already over in your sodium. When I log bacon, it comes up as 80 calories a piece, yours comes up at 40 calories a piece. That's a big difference right there.....

Really depends on type of bacon. I have some that is 70 calories per serving, some that is 90 calories per serving, etc.

Thanks Jemhh, Just goes to show that there are a lot of inaccurate entries in MFP.....and that we need to be more careful in logging.

Here is the USDA data on pork bacon that is pan-fried:

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2693?manu=&fgcd=&ds=
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I just happened to look at your diary and you are already over in your sodium. When I log bacon, it comes up as 80 calories a piece, yours comes up at 40 calories a piece. That's a big difference right there.....

Really depends on type of bacon. I have some that is 70 calories per serving, some that is 90 calories per serving, etc.

Thanks Jemhh, Just goes to show that there are a lot of inaccurate entries in MFP.....and that we need to be more careful in logging.

Here is the USDA data on pork bacon that is pan-fried:

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2693?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

THANKS, I have that bookmarked now so hopefully I can look up other items too!!!:)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

That said, it's possible that you lost a lot of water weight with your first whoosh (which is normal), and your body is now adjusting to the change in diet and you could actually still be losing fat without it showing on the scale.

It's also important to realize that weight loss isn't linear. Here is a good thread to read through: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

Just stay the course and be patient. You'll do fine.

I think OP should focus on the sentiment that weight loss is not linear, and as someone mentioned below, his journey is going to be a long one, so having some patience and not wanting to give up after 3 weeks is going to be extremely important for him.

This was the first thing in my mind, too. That first month was huge, and often people lose in an initial whoosh and then it stabilizes in the next few weeks. It doesn't mean you aren't actively losing- it's always about the averages.

I haven't seen anyone else comment on the 1500 calories. I know when we are heavier, we can support a larger deficit, but you are aiming for the lowest calorie allowance recommended for a man. Why? I'm guessing the 2000 MFP gave you is for a 2 lb/week loss, so why not go with that? I understand you aren't feeling deprived now- many don't when they are new and enjoying the flush of new weight loss- but the goal here actually is to eat as *much* as we can and still get the results. Plus, it's good to be able to adjust our calories downward as we lose weight to keep things moving... right now you have no where else to go. Just something to consider, and as others have mentioned, accuracy in logging is important. You have more room for error now being larger, but that won't always be the case. Wish you the best! :)
  • try2again
    Options
    denato1 wrote: »
    I want to lose soo bad lately and staying so strict is great and all but if i dont see a weight change soon, I know i will fall off the bandwagon

This illustrates my point. You are feeling like you are being very strict with yourself and on the verge of quitting if you don't see results. Your calorie allowance should not leave you feeling badly deprived and in danger of losing control. Because sadly, that is often what happens. Slower, sustainable weight loss is better than taking off a quick 40 or 50 lbs and giving up. We have to be able to do this for a long time...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Not so much inaccuracies as differences in products, not to mention some are raw (much higher calories) and others are cooked. I know all the raw bacon I find around where I live has the nutrition information for raw bacon which would be far different than cooked if you drain off the fat. Usually we purchase pre-cooked bacon now, so it makes the numbers more accurate. The pre-cooked bacon we use is 80 calories per two slices (18g) and that 18g is pretty close most times for the two slices. So 40 for one, assuming it is weighed since it is pretty calorie dense, is not way off.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    1. You may not be accurately measuring your foods.
    2. You may actually need to eat more. I started out a good 50 lbs heavier than you are. When I ate crazy low calories the losses stalled and/or slowed. Figure out what your BMR is based on your height and weight. You may want to consider the TDEE method.
    3. You may need to switch things up. Get some variety in there. You don't need to "stay so strict."
    4. How is your water intake? Water or tea that is, not coffee, sodas etc.
    5. Sodium does make you retain water.
    6. Are you getting enough SLEEP?
    7. Are you stressed out? This can also lead to a slowdown in weight loss.
    8. Have you spoken to a doctor? How's your blood work? What does a doctor or nutritionist recommend for you?

Try not to get discouraged. You did not gain your weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. I know it's cliche but the process really is a marathon, not a sprint. You are not alone, there are plenty of people (myself included) here who have been where you are and have pushed through.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    OP, are you doing any exercise at all or just practicing CICO? Also, what's your height? I'd love to compare your macros/calorie goals you have set in your diary to the recommendations of the site I use.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    OP, are you doing any exercise at all or just practicing CICO? Also, what's your height? I'd love to compare your macros/calorie goals you have set in your diary to the recommendations of the site I use.

OP mentioned he walks 40 minutes per day.
  • try2again
    Options

I missed this. If you are only eating 1500 a day and exercising on top of it, you are netting even less (again, depending of the accuracy of your logging). Not good. :(
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

I missed that as well. Are you using anything to calculate calories burned for that walk? Is it a leisurely walk or fitness (walking fast) walk?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I think you have had some good advice here and I agree that the initial 26 pounds might have been alot of water. You have likely lost fat since then but it isn't showing up as your body resettles with the new program. I often have a week or two with no loss then a good drop afterwards. 26 pounds is a huge loss! Congratulations! You should be proud. Don't give up. The slower you lose the more likely you will maintain. Give yourself a few treats now and then and learn to fit them into your calorie limit. This makes dieting bearable and before you know it you don't want to go back to the old way of eating. Don't forget to measure because alot of the time when the scale doesn't move the tape measure does. You can usually feel it in your clothes. Good luck.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When I read the OP, the one thing that I wasn't clear on was how often you are weighing yourself. Has it been three weeks between weighing yourself? If yes, then high sodium the day before weighing, plus the exercise (particularly if you are sore, as mentioned) could be masking the losses you have had in those three weeks. It could very well be a fluctuation hiding your progress. It could also be a scale issue. How old are the batteries? Have you moved it recently? Is it on a solid surface? Do you weigh under the same conditions each time? Later in the day, you tend to weigh more because you've eaten, plus clothing weight.

You should still be losing, even at 2000 cal. Recheck your logs too, look for inaccurate database entries. The user created entries are frequently incorrect, which can cause an issue.
  • mnfarmgal
    mnfarmgal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are satisfied at the 1500 calories.. but feel bad you can't have a beer.. you did say you are a brewer right?? why not use the extra calories to have a beer in the evening??
  • denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I time and distance my walk so its a 3mph walk(2mile in 40min). I am 6ft 1 inch tall, I walk our new dog to get the exercise/make no excuses.
    I want to get a fitness tracker but $ is tight this time of year.
    I work maintenance for a school district here so i Assume 50% of my day is sitting. I use the sedentary setting on mfp.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    @denato1 Do you have to sit for that period of time or is standing an option? It burns more calories than sitting - it's not a lot, but can add up.
  • denato1
    Options
    i weigh in every morning before i get dressed. I try and average my weight for the week as my actual weight. The scale still has not read below 300.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note about the fitness tracker. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money so last year I bought the Garmin Vivofit 2. I have been very happy with it. If Santa can see a way to purchase it is about half the price of the Fitbit. I hear it is more accurate too.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    denato1 wrote: »
    I time and distance my walk so its a 3mph walk(2mile in 40min). I am 6ft 1 inch tall, I walk our new dog to get the exercise/make no excuses.
    I want to get a fitness tracker but $ is tight this time of year.
    I work maintenance for a school district here so i Assume 50% of my day is sitting. I use the sedentary setting on mfp.

I'm 6' and 280 lbs. A 3 mph walk on a treadmill for me at 0 incline for 35 mins gave me 265 calories burned (Polar strap reading).

According to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup it would be 243

What are you counting for calories burned from it?
  • denato1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    220-240cal for the walk. some hills, probably 3 100ft elevation changes. each over 1/8 mile of hill
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Someone should double check behind me, but I went back maybe a week in your diary and your logging seems sloppy OP.

You consistently log 3 XL eggs as 240 calories, but that's not accounting for any oil or anything you are cooking the eggs in. Also, I'd double check that entry anyways because I think that sounds low unless you are actually eating 2 XL eggs and logging it as 3 to account for any oil etc.

It doesn't seem like you are weighing your slices of cheese either. You are just going by what the package says a slice is. You need to weigh a slice of cheese. It could easily be more grams than a serving should be.

You log turkey a lot and it seems inaccurate as well. You always log it as 100 calories. Either you aren't weighing it or you are going off the package with it too or you are guesstimating.

There were a couple of meats that it seemed you weighed, but the calorie counts looked off for. I'd double check all the meat entries in the USDA database and you aren't accounting for any cooking oils there either.

And in your coffee are you measuring the half and half you put in it? You always log it the same as well and it looks a tad low.

These were just things I caught over the last week or so I went back and looked. Also, your sodium is a bit high on some days which may mean you are retaining water.