Help! Plateau/weight loss stoppage

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - It sounds like you are making things harder on yourself than they need to be. Plug your stats into MFP and do exactly as is says (based on 1 pound or 2 pounds a week). By going lower, you will be hungry and frustrated and yes, probably will quit if/when you don't see results. Eat what it says, eat back exercise calories. No need to white knuckle it every day, just have a bit of patience and trust.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You should be weighing everything, even the prepackaged stuff (labels are, by law, allowed to be off by 20%). So for example, your protein bar yesterday at 290 calories, could be 350 calories. While 60 calories may not seem like much, they do add up throughout the day. I was very surprised what I found when I started weighing everything.
  • denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What would u log for an egg? i always have them use pam to make my eggs(i can see them do it) I get 2 slim slices of swiss usually and 4 thin slices of turkey. They turkey breast is usually less then 1.5 oz. I had them weigh it once. I do not have them weigh everything every day. but i almost always get the same thing. I measured out my half and half 1x in the disposible cup i have at work and use the ridge in it to always pour the same amount.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    denato1 wrote: »
    What would u log for an egg? i always have them use pam to make my eggs(i can see them do it) I get 2 slim slices of swiss usually and 4 thin slices of turkey. They turkey breast is usually less then 1.5 oz. I had them weigh it once. I do not have them weigh everything every day. but i almost always get the same thing. I measured out my half and half 1x in the disposible cup i have at work and use the ridge in it to always pour the same amount.

Personally, your logging doesn't sound out of line to me. (At this point anyway. When you near goal, every single calorie can count.) I really don't think there's a problem to be solved here... just need some patience in regards to the scale. I bet you'll have a big whoosh again this week.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    when I started, I didn't loose anything for about 3 weeks then lost, then rapidly lost a few pounds within 2 weeks, then nothing for 3 more & it goes like that for me
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

You log the egg with its weight. I generally use the large egg option and type in the grams it is (I crack the egg into a little dish that is tared on the scale). Eggs within a carton can vary 10g from the lightest to heaviest egg. Since you're not preparing it, though, a large egg is around 55ish grams, but can be up to 65g. Choose the heavier weights always.

Log the Pam. It isn't 0 calories. The longer you spray, the more calories accumulate. Count the seconds they spray if you can see them do it. There may be entries in seconds for pam. Not sure.

Keep weighing the turkey breast. It will not be the same all the time. If i doubt, go for a higher weight in your diary.

As for the half-half, measure with a tablespoon... half-half can be around 20 cals per tablespoon.
  • try2again
    Options
    I would be more concerned about meals at home (I'm thinking casseroles & other multi-ingredient dishes) where you have to calculate the portion sizes & calories- lots of room for error there. Learn to use the recipe builder (if you haven't already), check for accurate entries, and then weigh the finished dishes and divide by serving size. (I have all of my pans & cooking dishes pre-weighed so I can subtract out the weight).
  • denato1
    Options
    I always weigh and calculate calories going into the dish. Then weigh final product and divide cal per oz. Home is my least worry these days. Just sucks cooking 2 times because kids want something more flavorful
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    If you are certain you are doing everything right, then patience is the key. It's frustrating at times.
  • try2again
    Options
    I always weigh and calculate calories going into the dish. Then weigh final product and divide cal per oz. Home is my least worry these days. Just sucks cooking 2 times because kids want something more flavorful

Please don't make 2 separate meals! *You* eat something more flavorful! 2000 calories is plenty to work with. My husband has a calorie allowance that is twice as high as mine. When we have pizza, I have 2 slices & fill it out with a salad, where he can eat a whole pizza. If I fix a casserole that might be higher in calories, I have a reasonable portion & round out with fresh veggies & fruit. This doesn't have to be so hard! :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490676/when-youre-the-only-one-dieting#latest
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you are certain you are doing everything right, then patience is the key. It's frustrating at times.

I second this.

But OP, as an experiment, I would switch things up. It seems you tend to eat a lot of the same foods. Eating the same exact breakfast, having a protein bar for lunch, etc. Try having oatmeal for breakfast that you've prepared at home and maybe a sandwich or soup or combination for lunch.

Also, from your logs, it looks like you aren't drinking nearly enough water unless you are forgetting to log it which would contribute to water retention.
  • denato1
    Options
    Water i forget to log, I usually consume approximately 60-100 oz of water. I know water is my weak point but i cannot drink all day long with my job, so i drink 16oz in the morning, 16 oz at lunch, and i try to fill my 32 oz growler atleast 2x in the evenings
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Did you re-do the guided setup in MFP with your current weight? That will give you less calories than before.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

YOu log the egg with its weight. I generally use the large egg option and type in the grams it is (I crack the egg into a little dish that is tared on the scale). Eggs within a carton can vary 10g from the lightest to heaviest egg. Most of the time, a large egg is around 55ish grams, but can be up to 65g.

Log the Pam. It isn't 0 calories. The longer you spray, the more calories accumulate. Count the seconds they spray if you can see them do it. There may be entries in seconds for pam. Not sure.

Keep weighing the turkey breast. It will not be the same all the time. If i doubt, go for a higher weight in your diary.

As for the half-half, measure with a tablespoon... half-half can be around 20 cals per tablespoon.

This is apparently a take-out sandwich from subway or something.

A 300+ lb man does not have to weigh his eggs to lose weight. I doubt anyone does, unless they eat 10 a day.

Eggs, mustard and herbs are things I've never weighed, I just always use the large USDA entry for eggs. Everything else gets weighed though.

* I also drink round 3L of water everyday, but iv'e never logged it.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

YOu log the egg with its weight. I generally use the large egg option and type in the grams it is (I crack the egg into a little dish that is tared on the scale). Eggs within a carton can vary 10g from the lightest to heaviest egg. Most of the time, a large egg is around 55ish grams, but can be up to 65g.

A 300+ lb man does not have to weigh his eggs to lose weight. I doubt anyone does, unless they eat 10 a day.

Eggs, mustard and herbs are things I've never weighed, I just always use the large USDA entry for eggs. Everything else gets weighed though.

You're obviously doing it wrong :tongue:
  • denato1
    Options
    Mfp says I should eat 1980 cal. I don't even want to ran 1000 at this point. Everyone has been so helpful but I cannot seem to break this #. I just clothes off weighed my self and still nothing. I have tried extra water, I'll cut salt back again tomorrow(back to turkey) and try cutting to 2 eggs so that I am eating less. I am truly stumped. I honestly feel sick over this today.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

You're obviously doing it wrong :tongue:

Ha I hardly ever get anything right :lol:

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I hate plateaus also. The whole idea of cutting back and not seeing progress can be demoralizing. Try not to let it get you down. You will likely see the weight drop again soon. Hang in there!