What's Your Christmas Dinner?

Options

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    2 Lasagnas, one meat and one veggie, spiral ham, mashed taters, meatballs/sausages, lots of different veggies a couple of casseroles and 10 or 12 desserts with gallons of coffee.

That's the first round, seriously. Looking at 25 or so adults and God alone knows how many kids.

Oh, can't forget the appetizers - shrimps with different dips, cheeses, lots of Lebanese foods and treats...

Yeah...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ham, latkes, chocolate hazelnut Yule log (made by me), apple pie (made my the host). Not sure what else...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    We don't celebrate Christmas, but we do a huge Yule feast every year that we invite friends and family to (even those of a different faith).

This year we had roast pork as the main dish. Last year we were able to have a huge roast pig, but didn't really have access to a roasting pit this year so we compromised. We make huge fruit cakes and spiced cakes.

We had a lot of fun this year although our celebration was smaller than usual.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Roast goose and potatoes, corn, salad and gluhwein. With the rest of the homemade pumpkin pie and apple torte.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Lobsters and rice pilaf, endamame. For dessert there's some special brownies.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    Appetizer: steamed artichokes with garlic butter

Main Course: brown sugar glazed ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potato casserole, green beans, rolls, green onions, glass of wine (non-alcoholic for the kids)

Dessert: ice cream sundaes loaded with all the fixin's
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's just me, home alone.

Roasting an 8# pork butt pernil-style. Going to pig out w/black beans & rice plus some buttered corn-on-the-cob when it's done and frig/freeze the leftovers. Yum!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I slow cooked a picnic ham in a bath of apple cider and the household said, "Yummy". I also provided mashed potatoes, baked beans and green bean casserole with dinner rolls. Pecan pie and strawberry pecan cake were the desserts.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I made a roast pork loin with crackle, slow cooked beef pot roast with gravy, cheesy scalloped potatoes, mixed roast veggies and a mango, avocado and prawn salad (I'm in Australia) for the main meal. For desert we had a rich chocolate mud cake and ice cream !
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Meh, I might do a veggie pizza or I might do scalloped potatoes, steamed veggies, and ham. It's just the man and me, and he has to work.

I know the feeling exactly, my hubby worked also (12 hours), so I was here alone. Made him some burgers when he got home, and I had a little stouffer's lasagna. I might have eaten a burger( usually I have veggie burgers because the cals are lower) but i didnt want to weigh the ground beef I used for his, and didnt feel like using a separate pan for veggie burgers. Made some veggies to go with, planned to eat the whole container, but couldnt eat as much as I thought! Ended up under target.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My family had ham, fried oysters, stuffing, green beans, rolls, mashed potatoes, some kind of macaroni dish, apple pie, fruitcake, pecan pie, and apple cake.

I, on the other hand, was having a bout of digestive issues, so I just sipped on a combination of kombucha, herbal tea, and bone broth before coming home and eating some soft veggies and bananas.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My Christmas dinner was a roasted wild pig with carrots, potatoes, and rolls :smiley:
  • Pattilghman
    Pattilghman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Family dinner: turkey, ham with pineapple glaze., stuffing, gravy, sweet potato marshmallow bake, macaroni and cheese, brown rice and raisins, green beans casserole, corn, wine, cake and sugar cookies.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    We had a spiral ham, mashed potatoes made with an obscene amount of butter and creamed spinach.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Glazed ham, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, baked macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, spinach salad, rolls. Homemade apple pie a la mode and cheesecake for dessert.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Turkey, green beans, cranberries, bourbon pecan pie and home made southern dressingkdoxl88ihd9c.jpg
    9gx4i4yfazgz.jpg
    efscqj2hoqva.jpg
    !
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Stuffed shells and salad

That's what I had for Thanksgiving this year! :) It was a spur of the moment decision. I actually hadn't had any since my mom passed away (she would make that as one of the dishes for most holiday meals). It came out really good! I'd forgotten how tasty it is.

For Christmas, I made shrimp scampi. For appetizers we had cheese,olives, and beer. Dessert was homemade pumpkin pie & cookies, and store bought babka. There wasn't really any coherent culinary theme to the day. ;)

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @janicelo1971 That pie looks delicious!