Feeding your soul - has anyone ever told you this?

Options
Has anyone ever offered you extra food or taken more food than usual for him or herself because you or they were doing some kind of praying or religious work and you "got to feed the soul like you feed the body"?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    In googling the statement I found you asked this back in June:). No I've never heard of taking extra physical food for your soul. I have heard of feeding your soul in the sense of positive, mindful and meditative ways.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10414953/feeding-your-soul-has-anyone-ever-told-you-this
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    In googling the statement I found you asked this back in June:). No I've never heard of taking extra physical food for your soul. I have heard of feeding your soul in the sense of positive, mindful and meditative ways.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10414953/feeding-your-soul-has-anyone-ever-told-you-this

I thought it sounded familiar as I was reading it.

OP, is your soul only hungry twice a year? If so, then I don't see a problem with feeding it.

I think the statement means caring for your soul, rather than literally feeding it. Perhaps you should ask whomever you are hearing this from to explain further for you.
  • Darton2010
    Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would agree by having the person you heard this from to specify. I can't think of any religious cultures that favors physical gluttony, most cultures favor fasting.

I would guess its more of a spiritual saying like @leanjogreen18 stated.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I thought it sounded familiar as I was reading it.

OP, is your soul only hungry twice a year? If so, then I don't see a problem with feeding it.

I think the statement means caring for your soul, rather than literally feeding it.
    Perhaps you should ask whomever you are hearing this from to explain further for you.
    I agree with @nutmegoreo

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    Has anyone ever offered you extra food or taken more food than usual for him or herself because you or they were doing some kind of praying or religious work and you "got to feed the soul like you feed the body"?

No. I have never heard anyone say that they need more food because of prayer or religious work they do.
    I've known people who fasted or gave things up for regious reasons.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I believe you should eat whatever makes you happy within your calorie limit.

But souls don't exist.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to ask a genuine question.

A soul is supposed to be insubstantial, ethereal, non-physical, yes?

So how does eating physical food supposedly help?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sounds like a lame excuse for overeating.

Or misunderstanding the concept of "soul food".
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    No, but sometimes I tell people who feel guilty about indulging, "sometimes you have to eat things that are good for your soul." It has no religious implications for me, and I don't see it as an excuse to overindulge on a regular basis. I just mean that sometimes it's good to eat things that make you happy regardless of calories or nutritional value.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options

Yes ... I thought ... didn't we do this already? Sure enough!

As I said then ...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    incisron wrote: »
    Has anyone ever offered you extra food or taken more food than usual for him or herself because you or they were doing some kind of praying or religious work and you "got to feed the soul like you feed thr body"?

No ... can't say I have.

The only time I've heard the expression "feeding the soul" is in the context of sitting and watching a beautiful sunset, or going for a hike and stopping to watch various wildlife, or going to a choir performance or things like that. Nothing to do with food ... everything to do with slowing down and enjoying nature or something wonderful in the arts.

• Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is for the body, chocolate is for the soul :smiley: At least that's my excuse lol
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is for the body, chocolate is for the soul :smiley: At least that's my excuse lol

Works for me! :smiley:
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I bake, I often see it as good for my mental well being.