Family makes me eat!

Options
2»

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do better left to myself too. I don't know why. But same here, kids home, dh home and it's comfort food. Maybe that's all it is: Enjoying the time together with good food.

No worries OP. You're making a difference.keep at it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    When I am not actively watching my weight, my husband and I tend to spur each other to eating more fattening foods. Donuts, ice cream, cinnamon rolls, pizza - if one doesn't suggest it, the other does, and usually we get whatever it is. Not surprisingly, we both have weight issues. However, when I am trying to lose the weight I gain by overindulging too often, DH is equally willing to go along with whatever I suggest. Treats are not forbidden, but they are a lot less frequent. If I say I don't want pancakes, he's fine with that. I fix meat and vegetables or soup, and he eats what he wants and leaves the rest. I cook, so I have control over what we eat. If he wants something I don't want to eat, he is free to make it himself or go out and buy it. I decide how much I eat and when and how much I exercise. He is free to do the same, though we do spend time together walking every day. I am lucky to have a flexible husband, but I also know that ultimately I am always responsible for what I eat and what I do.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    My husband travels a great deal. When he is gone, I do great eating and exercising. When he is home, I am lazier and more lax with what I eat. I tend to eat very healthy but I eat more when he's home. Any suggestions of how to avoid this?

Your title and your description do not match. I don't see where anyone is making you do anything. Just get in to a healthy routine when you're alone, and stick to it when you have company.

Weight loss is a lifestyle change. You just need to live the same lifestyle whether it's just you or if there's someone else around.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No one else in my family is trying to lose and all the things that made me fat are always around. So, I either make my own food or eat less of what others are eating. It's always your choice. It's harder when you can't completely control everything in your environment, but the truth is that few people who don't live alone can.

Plan ahead. Plan you meals. Your choices are yours alone.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Seriously, that's crap! No offense meant. But how can you make changes if you are blaming others. My husband's diet is kitten poop but that doesn't have to affect how I eat.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    My husband travels a great deal. When he is gone, I do great eating and exercising. When he is home, I am lazier and more lax with what I eat. I tend to eat very healthy but I eat more when he's home. Any suggestions of how to avoid this?

Your title and your description do not match. I don't see where anyone is making you do anything. Just get in to a healthy routine when you're alone, and stick to it when you have company.

Weight loss is a lifestyle change. You just need to live the same lifestyle whether it's just you or if there's someone else around.

This. OP you said you're eating healthy food just more of it when your spouse is home? Weight loss comes down to the amount you eat, not the type of foods. If you are eating too much, cut back the portions slightly or sit and talk with him while he has a snack or whatever the issue seems to be.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Terpdad wrote: »

Sounds easy
    Have him stay away longer

Ohhh! Can mine come!?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    OP this used to be me. But I got tired of "dieting" for an event (vacation, wedding etc), or for other people.

Once I made up my mind to lose weight for ME, I don't give 2 poo's what others eat around me. My husband is a healthy weight and eats whatever and whenever. He likes to go out to eat. This used to bother me, but no more. I eat what he eats in smaller portions sometimes and sometimes I make myself what I want to eat. I learned to make a little smarter choices when going out to eat BUT still getting the things I like to eat.

For ME learning that I can lose weight eating at a certain calorie goal was pretty empowering. I can eat the foods I love just not so much of it:).

I'm not sure if this was helpful but there you go:).