Pre-Workouts that work.

I need to get fit in the new year and need a pre workout, or mixture of pre workouts, that will give me energy.

Any supplement I've ever tried in the past gas had no effect on me at all. I want something to make me get a rush of energy.

I see so many people rave about pre workouts, there must be some that work. Are they just a placebo?

Sorry if I sound like a complete novice, it's because I am.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I think you have to try different ones until you find one you like.

I don't like to feel hyper and I hate the niacin tingle. I just want a steady, sustained energy. So after trying multiple brands, I like ENGN EVL. I only use it when I'm really dragging, though. Most of the time I just drink a Monster (Ultra Zero).

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I take and apple or banana...sometimes some coffee with that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    .... need a pre workout, or mixture of pre workouts, ...

Personally I just eat food.

I quite like Tailwind for Half Marathon and Marathon distances and when I go to Ultra distances I start back on flapjacks, soup, water melon, apples and the like
  • 4llenramos
    4llenramos Posts: 4 Member
    Yogurt, puffed wheat, or fruit. Preferably fruit as they are simple sugars and you will get immediate energy
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Caffeine and candy (dextrose) is my go to. Boring but I like it
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    White monster and a caffeine tab
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    You don't need a pre-workout. Just go and workout.
    You don't need a "rush of energy" to exercise - that's just a complete load of cobblers.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I have used a variety of them. I am currently using C4 Sport. They all pretty much have caffeine in them, and other stuff. I like the Beta Alanine in mine, it makes my skin tingle within 30 minutes of taking it, and that's usually my queue to get up and work out. I will use them for a couple of months then stop using them for a month or two just to make sure I don't get too used to them. Also, I generally only use them on work days when I'm working out at 5:30am. For me, that's 3 days a week, the other two I simply eat a carb/protein heavy - but small portion breakfast and drink some coffee then wait 30 minutes to an hour and I'm good to go. Muscletech makes one I like called "Pre-Workout Explosion" that is cheap and readily found at the local Wal-Mart and/or Sam's Club. I've not really found one that works better than another, they all pretty much wake me up and get me ready to go on early mornings.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Coffee. And candy. The occasional day that I use an actual preworkout it's powder burn 2.0 by rivalus. Anything I use needs to be third party tested as WADA compliant.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I take and apple or banana...sometimes some coffee with that.

Same here, cup of coffee and a banana. If that jolt doesn't work, I figure I'm not well-rested enough to push myself hard so I just do a light workout, and then I prioritize getting a good night's sleep that night while I still feel like schmuck for not getting a better workout in :)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Coffee here. I tried a couple of products, including one that had me feeling manic after taking it for a couple of weeks. No more of that for me.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    I've been doing well keeping my energy up for an hour and 20 on my bike by having exactly 6 triscuits, a stick of lite cheese and a half banana. About a half hour before the ride. And yep a jolt of coffee if sleepy helps, but only if the lagging energy is due to lack of actual sleep, and not actual food.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i'm happy to see all the votes for candy :D for me, it's either just making sure i've eaten whichever meal is applicable for the time of day, or it's something like skittles or (recently) mike 'n ike jelly beans.

if it's going to be something unusually gritty, i do sometimes dump a scoop of bcaa powder into my water bottle before i leave home. i let the powder settle, drink off most of teh water and then refill. i'm not much for the energy-rush thing but i do like to dodge the doms bullet if possible.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2016
    I need to get fit in the new year and need a pre workout, or mixture of pre workouts, that will give me energy.

Any supplement I've ever tried in the past gas had no effect on me at all. I want something to make me get a rush of energy.

I see so many people rave about pre workouts, there must be some that work. Are they just a placebo?

Sorry if I sound like a complete novice, it's because I am.

As a complete novice, fix your diet and sleep patterns first, don't even think about supplements until this is taken care of (unless you need a supplement as recommended by a doctor for some issue). As mentioned above, pre-works are mainly caffeine, not needed with proper sleep and diet.

Best of luck.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    If you need energy, drink caffeine.

My pre-workout stack includes creatine, citrulline malate, beta alanine, taurine and caffeine. However, caffeine is the only one of those intended for stimulation/energy.
  • bdavis1990
    bdavis1990 Posts: 31 Member
    I like cellucor c4. It's the best one I've tried. I'm us ing mr. Hyde now cycling off c4 for a while but would still recommend c4
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    I like C4 or NO Xplode.

Follow the directions... start with 1/2 scoop and determine your tolerance.

Cycle off 2wks out of 6 to maintain that rush.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    A self applied kick in the *kitten* and a good warm up seems to be all I need to get going.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    I like my amino energy. Definitely gives me a good burst of energy!