Do I count calories from added bacon grease? Or just the bacon?

Options
I'm creating a recipe here on MFP so I can add it to my diary. My recipe (a breakfast casserole) has 2 pounds of bacon in it. I cook the bacon in a pan in the oven, chop it up, and add it to the casserole. I also take some of the grease that's in the pan and add that as well (yum!). When I create the recipe here on MFP, do I just count the 2 pounds of bacon, or do I count the bacon plus some bacon grease?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just the bacon, it's not grease from other bacon, is it?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I would add in 2 tbsp (or whatever amount) of bacon grease to the recipe if you are actually scooping some of the grease to add.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    I'm creating a recipe here on MFP so I can add it to my diary. My recipe (a breakfast casserole) has 2 pounds of bacon in it. I cook the bacon in a pan in the oven, chop it up, and add it to the casserole. I also take some of the grease that's in the pan and add that as well (yum!). When I create the recipe here on MFP, do I just count the 2 pounds of bacon, or do I count the bacon plus some bacon grease?

If you're adding bacon grease, you should measure it out and add it...it's about 120 calories per Tbsp.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Nope. It's from the same bacon. That's why I'm thinking maybe just leave it at 2 pounds of bacon. But I do add a lot of the grease.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    did you weigh the whole piece of bacon before cooking it? did you add anything to it in the way of additional fats to start it off? If you cooked it on its own and you are referring to the liquids etc lost from the cooking then I think you probably need not account for that separately for your casserole. were you to use anything left, as in put it on a slice of bread then I would count it because it was separated from the original cooking.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You can log bacon grease it's already in If I use it I ad it in
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Nope. It's from the same bacon. That's why I'm thinking maybe just leave it at 2 pounds of bacon. But I do add a lot of the grease.

the calories for cooked bacon are going to assume that you're not eating the grease and that it will be cooked off...the calories for cooked bacon are just for the bacon itself...it would be much higher calorie if the grease was included in cooked bacon.

OK; I added the grease to the recipe. It added about 1,000 calories to the whole recipe, about 85 more calories per serving.
  • cwolfman13
    edited December 2016
    Options

the calories for cooked bacon are going to assume that you're not eating the grease and that it will be cooked off...the calories for cooked bacon are just for the bacon itself...it would be much higher calorie if the grease was included in cooked bacon.

Log it as raw?

Every package of bacon I've ever had states the serving and calories as "cooked slice"...
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Interesting. When I cook a few slices of bacon I usually use the bacon grease to fry my eggs in. Never thought about adding the extra calories since it came from the bacon that I'm consuming right then.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My first question is....please tell me its Turkey bacon???
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    And fyi for any of you reading this....any oil you put into the pan, spray that consists of calories etc, you must count that as calories. If you buy hamburger try turkey burger much healthier and very little grease.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Interesting. When I cook a few slices of bacon I usually use the bacon grease to fry my eggs in. Never thought about adding the extra calories since it came from the bacon that I'm consuming right then.

Every package of bacon I've ever seen represents the servings and calories for "cooked slices"...which would assume that some fat would be rendered off and not consumed...by not accounting for the fat separately with your eggs, you're consuming more calories than you think you are.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    kushneap wrote: »
    And fyi for any of you reading this....any oil you put into the pan, spray that consists of calories etc, you must count that as calories. If you buy hamburger try turkey burger much healthier and very little grease.

Standard ground turkey is 93% lean and you can buy 93% ground beef also. So turkey does for sure mean less grease and beef.

However there is 99% lean ground turkey but it does not fry up like 93% as it is so lean, but it does work well for certain things.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options

Every package of bacon I've ever seen represents the servings and calories for "cooked slices"...which would assume that some fat would be rendered off and not consumed...by not accounting for the fat separately with your eggs, you're consuming more calories than you think you are.

Thanks for letting me know that. I will start counting the bacon grease too.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, bacon. I have never seen the cals on bacon pkgs listed as "cooked". I am in Canada. So maybe different labelling guidelines.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, bacon. I have never seen the cals on bacon pkgs listed as "cooked". I am in Canada. So maybe different labelling guidelines.

Same here. I live in a border city and when I buy bacon in the States it shows the cooked info, but in Canada it shows uncooked.