How much protein on LCHF

Options
I've read that too much protein is converted to carbs; and that low protein is good.

I'm 5 ft female (53 yrs.).
Suggestions are welcomed for protein levels.
Thank you.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MFP's default is probably fine.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I am 54, 5'4' and mine protein is set at 20%, carbs 5%, and Fat 75%. When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Excess protein converts to glucose, not carbs. Also, it would depend on how active you are.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/05/20/All-You-Need-to-Know-About-Protein-on-a-Low-Carb-Ketogenic-Diet
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Low protein is not good especially if dieting, please don't needlessly restrict your protein.

How much protein do you like to eat? Chances are the amount is perfectly fine. A range of 80g-120g of protein is pretty common for low carb diets.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Higher protein in a LCHF can knock you out of Ketosis but seriously I wouldn't worry to much about it calories and Carbs should be your focus to lose weight in LCHF.. That being said don't drop protein I like the 20% said above..
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Truthfully, how much you need depends on several factors.
    • Those engaging in weight-training, intense or extended cardio need more than those that don't;
    • Those trying to control blood glucose need to ensure they don't get too much (excess can be converted to glucose);
    • Men need more than women (for others that might read this);
    For me I had to experiment to find the best ratio.

FYI, you can get some good opinions over in the Low-Carb daily group in addition to this forum. You might want to drop in and say 'Hi' : http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I am 54, 5'4' and mine protein is set at 20%, carbs 5%, and Fat 75%. When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis

GNG is demand driven, not supply. If you aren't consuming adequate protein for it to cone from your diet, guess where it comes from.

First: percentages are a terrible way to setup macros, even if that's what MFP forces the free users to deal with.

I have run a diet that was essentially 95% protein (just supplementing EFAs and then trace carbs and fats that are unavoidable), and maintained a state of ketosis throughout. I did this because I was running a massive deficit, and that amount is what was required to minimize catabolism.

Second: This whole low-protein thought process really needs to die off. It works fine for sedentary people, or those who don't mind sacrificing LBM, but it should not be given as general advice.