Weight lifting for women

Options
This is a stupid question but can anyone recommend any weight lifting videos or dvds for women only? Weights intimidate me but in order to avoid flabby skin I know lifting and drinking water are a must. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, check out Instagram. There are a TON of inspirational fitness chicks on there who lift heavy and look incredible. They are usually very kind and share their programs. Brittany Dawn and Ana Cheri are some of my favorites. Besides that, I suggest getting a trainer (preferably not at a chain gym like Planet or LA) who can help show you the ropes for 4-6 sessions. Then go from there! Also, remember that everyone started somewhere and even the super yoked guys and girls in the weight lifting section were beginners at some point. If you have a question, ask, they'll most likely be willing to assist you with form checks or new training ideas.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women

Ditto - although I think there's a new one out now. It's a book though, not a DVD. I found it helpful to watch moves on YouTube that I was unfamiliar with.

I've been lifting off and on for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I'd much rather do that than run on the treadmill (or run at all)!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mdcoug wrote: »

Ditto - although I think there's a new one out now. It's a book though, not a DVD. I found it helpful to watch moves on YouTube that I was unfamiliar with.

I've been lifting off and on for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I'd much rather do that than run on the treadmill (or run at all)!!

I think the new book by the same author is called Strong. I have heard good things about it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think the new book by the same author is called Strong. I have heard good things about it.

Yep. Here it is, on his website
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Try Beachbody On Demand, there's a wide assortment of all types of workouts.

There are also tons of free workouts on YouTube. You can get great workouts with just body weight only. Or you can add dumbbells, resistance bands, suspension trainer like TRX etc.
  • ShannonJoyce97
    ShannonJoyce97 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is a stupid question but can anyone recommend any weight lifting videos or dvds for women only? Weights intimidate me but in order to avoid flabby skin I know lifting and drinking water are a must. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Heidi Somers on youtube! You should definetly watch her! She is so down to earth, posts her workouts, sometimes her meals and other stuff. She is a real inspiration and I think you and a lot of other women could find motivation and advice from her like me
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Yup, 'Strong' is Lou Schuler's new book. I got 'New rules of lifting for women' from my library and then bought 'Strong.' The workouts don't work for me for a number of reasons, but I still highly recommend the book despite my personal limitations.

I just bought Brett Contreras's 'Strong Curves.'
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options

it's not a stupid question at all, and the intimidation is real. but i'm going to counter-flow slightly (although you can discard my input) and say the best cure for that intimidation for me was to NOT look for anything 'women only', because that only reinforced that sense of not being the same as anyone else who would like to get strong. and not having the same motivations. i'm gonna quote something mark rippetoe says in starting strength.

"note that women are not listed as a special population; they are half the population. anyone who claims that women are so different in their physiological response to exercise that the principles of basic barbell training do not apply to them is thinking either irrationally or commercially."

i probably relate more than a lot of people to your intimidation feeling, but i took a few 'women only' courses back when i was new . . . and i like rippetoe. i guess maybe it depends on whether your goal really is just aesthetics and having the body-of-fashion-right-now, but i wanted to get strong and feel just as entitled to space in the rack as any other sentient human out there. so i just felt belittled by most of the girls-only stuff because it focused too much on the assumption that i was in it for how i would look in six months.

ymmv, but two cents.

I don't mind your two cents at all. Thank u for the insight. Maybe I have been looking at thia all wrong from thw beginning

• Doamond47
    Doamond47 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try fitness food diva. She has a few good workouts
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I have been using the workout trainer app for 2 years and I love it!!! It has everything under the sun, breaks down each move and explains how to do it. It's been a a huge motivator for me to keep working out!!
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I liked the information in New Rules of Lifting for Women - especially just because it said to do it. But the workouts were too complicated. If I have to keep glancing at a sheet of paper to know what I'm supposed to be doing, it's too much for me. Barbell math is hard enough in the wee hours. ETA: I also disliked the recommended meal plan.

For actual working out I liked Strong Lifts to start - simple, easy to memorize, effective.
  • misha1505
    misha1505 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys!

Please can you guys help me partner is a PT and has given me a work out plan and I feel like its really manly. It includes squats, benchpress, bent over row, overhead press, dips and pull ups.

The workout for me feels to advanced as a newbie but most of all I feel stupid walking into the gym doing this sort of thing. Any tips?

I am also eating 1800 calories a day and want to lose weight but its a yo yo I go up and down.....I am so young and want to look good for this summer for the first time feel good.

Any suggestions for staying focused? Staying motivated and feeling like a women while lifitng?
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options

It took me years to get over being so intimidated by the free weight section of the gym that I wouldn't go into that area if anyone else was there. A couple of things that helped were having a definite plan, so I know what I am doing, and having headphones so I can listen to music and pretend I'm alone.

I do love the advice to try to view lifting as not for men or women, but more universal.

It's so worth it to get in there and lift! Avoiding flabby skin, like you said, plus creating nice curves, and feeling confident and strong!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    misha1505 wrote: »
    Hey Guys!

Please can you guys help me partner is a PT and has given me a work out plan and I feel like its really manly. It includes squats, benchpress, bent over row, overhead press, dips and pull ups.

The workout for me feels to advanced as a newbie but most of all I feel stupid walking into the gym doing this sort of thing. Any tips?

I am also eating 1800 calories a day and want to lose weight but its a yo yo I go up and down.....I am so young and want to look good for this summer for the first time feel good.

Any suggestions for staying focused? Staying motivated and feeling like a women while lifitng?

No manly at all. I do most of those (no full pullups right now) and am pretty sure I haven't become a man :wink:

Women have the same muscles as men and can absolutely use the same exercises. I really don't understand what you mean by suggestions on how to feel like a woman while lifting. It's not something I think about while lifting other than when I get weak for a few days around my period and get mad about it.