January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member
    Options

exercise.png

ok...not quite sure what i was thinking but i have never ran 150k in a month...and not looking likely this month ...but i wont give up YET :smile:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Why are Strava and Garmin heart rate zones so different?

My easy runs are fine, and in Zone 2 on Strava, but Garmin has me in Zone 5 a lot of the time!

Using a Forerunner 225.

You made me look. Strava pulls HR data from Garmin, so it looks identical as far as I can tell from eyeballing the charts. Strava doesn't give me HR zones; I might have to become a premium member to get that.

First thing to look at is whether your Strava and Garmin HR numbers are the same. If they are, the difference is because Strava and Garmin are using different ranges for the zones. I can't speak to Strava, but Garmin Connect defaults to zones as percentage from zero to max HR. I changed mine to be the Karvonnen method, i.e. percentage from resting HR to max HR; that made the Garmin zones make more sense with how I felt at various heart rates.

The remaining variables for figuring zones are what Strava and Garmin are using for your max HR, and what they are using for your resting HR. Because the difference in the two methods matters more for the lower zones, I'd guess that Garmin has a lower max HR for you than Strava does. FWIW, Garmin started out with my max HR at 220 minus my age; after a couple weeks of running data got pumped in, Garmin said my max HR was 185. I was 58 years old at that time, and my Garmin max HR has remained at 185 for almost 3 years now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Anybody know why my glutes get so sore treadmill running???

Your gait? You might be adjusting your stride and posture. I noticed after surgery, my landing and push off are different. I can feel my glutes engage more. I have yet to get them sore. (Can not wait to be able to do some jump squats or something) Maybe you run harder on the TM?

Or maybe you need to stop and stretch after that "mile" warm up.

Good luck to dh today! :heart:
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles

01/05/17 - 6 miles

01/07/17 - 10 miles
    01/08/17 - 3.25 miles

01/10/17 - 6 miles
    01/11/17 - 5.5 miles
    01/12/17 - 3.25 miles
    01/13/17 - 6.5 miles
    01/14/17 - 5 miles
    01/15/17 - 4 miles

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 9.5 miles - 61.6
    1/10 10 miles - 71.6
    1/11 5 miles - 76.6
    1/12 10.15 miles - 86.75
    1/13 5.25 miles - 92
    1/14 16 miles - 108
    1/15 REST DAY
    1/16 8.25 miles - 116.25

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 it's better to start the race undertrained than overinjured. Combine your experience with previous training cycles with what your body is telling you during this training cycle and back off when you need to, and ensure adequate recovery after any hard sessions. Just my 2¢ but I think you may be running your training runs too fast. First, you should not use a *goal* pace to set your various training paces. You need to use your fitness level or base it on a recent long race. The Daniels Tables spreadsheet I posted about a couple of months ago can help you determine that. For instance, if I use my actual marathon pace of 9:30 (4:09:00 marathon time), then my easy run paces should be between 10:30 and 11:15. My tempo run paces should vary between 8:53 for a 20 minute run to 9:22 for a 60 minute run. If I look at the McMillan portion of the tables, easy pace is 10:00 to 10:30 and tempo is 8:48 to 9:07. For an easy pace, though, I'd go by the conversation test over a predetermined pace. I like @MobyCarp 's explanation for purpose of various paces as well. It makes good sense.

@9voice9 awesome race!! Thanks for sharing your reflection too!
    @skippygirlsmom great pix!
    @MNLittleFinn that Ely marathon with your mom sounds fantastic! I bet it's a very scenic course. Glad things are going well for you again!
    @Stoshew71 's blog post about marathon training plans is exactly why I prefer to learn the concepts of training and develop my own plan to fit me and my schedule. It might not be an optimal plan, but since I have no delusions of ever being competitive, it works great for me and I have ownership of it.
    @katharmonic one of the reasons I love trail running is that the pressure of making a race goal or PR each time is out the window. Even the same course can present widely different conditions on different days making direct comparisons futile. It's much more laid back.
    @orphia Very cool that you saw kangaroos! It's safe to say I'll never have that experience.
    @MobyCarp great race!

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    had a tender interview meeting today, so could fit in a longer morning run than normal. Managed a 5.4mile run and felt like I could have gone a bit further.

total miles so far this month are 30, and I think I set myself a goal of 40 miles, so am hoping to smash that.

Having said that - I'm living on borrowed time. Everyone around me has been sick, with one of the worst colds and coughs I've seen in years. I'm hoping the nausea I've had the last couple of days and the lingering headache is just a migraine. Can't be many times I'd be HOPING for a migraine!!!!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1/4- no shoes
    1/5- barefoot treadmill 1.5
    1/6- barefoot treadmill 1.7 =3.2
    1/7- 2.15 =5.35
    1/8- 1.626 = 6.976
    1/9- rest day
    1/10-2.191 =9.167
    1/11-travel day
    1/12-travel day
    1/13-travel day
    1/14-travel day
    1/15-2.35 =11.517
    1/16-1.503 =13.02 of 30 miles

• kellybea73
    kellybea73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1/3 3.25 miles
    1/13 6 miles

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge:

1/1: 19 miles
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: BodyPump and 30 minutes of stair stepper
    1/4: 5.8 miles of a 10 mile planned run. Cut short due to knee pain
    1/5 Unplanned rest day
    1/6 2.2 mile walk, 30 minutes elliptical, Strength: upper body and core
    1/7 8.2 miles
    1/8 20 miles
    1/9 45 minutes light strength and 45 minute walk
    1/10 15 minutes of stationary bike, 20 minutes of Elliptical, 45 minutes strength
    1/11 57 minutes of walking (3.5 miles), 52 minutes of strength
    1/12 48 minutes of stationary bike, 30 minutes of strength
    1/13 Planned rest day
    1/14 6 mile run, knee felt so much better
    1/15 12 mile run

Goal: 76 of 170

My knee felt almost normal during my run yesterday. I was a bit worried since this run would be on a paved trail with a few hills. I just didn't want to do the longer drive to my flat long run trail on crushed gravel. Fortunately, my knee felt even better on this run. Yay!!

Now, I've just gotta figure out if I should pop this water blister on my big toe. It doesn't hurt, but it sure is ugly. It starts on the left side of my right big toe and extends around to the top. To pop or not to pop...that is the question!! Lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner It's awesome to see your knee is doing better! That was a great run!

on the blister thing. I normally pop then cover with mole skin for a day or 2.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Having said that - I'm living on borrowed time. Everyone around me has been sick, with one of the worst colds and coughs I've seen in years. I'm hoping the nausea I've had the last couple of days and the lingering headache is just a migraine. Can't be many times I'd be HOPING for a migraine!!!!

I can't tell you how many people have had bronchitis that I know. I swear it's like every other person either has it or knows someone that has it. Hopefully you just have a migraine (even though those suck too)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kellybea73 - welcome!
    @girlinahat - hope you don't get it. At the high school where I teach it has been so bad. So many kids/teachers sick. I've still got a cough/congestion but it's on the tail end of it ...although I've been saying that for days now.

Going to a new trainer today. I've been with the same trainer for 2.5 years and although I really have enjoyed it (no thinking on my part - just do what he says), it is very expensive. Forget if I've said this here... but going to a bike shop that specializes in training triathletes but anyone can do it. There is a whole gym there and I can go as much as want (still will just be 2-3 times a week though). I'm going to just do the general strength training that I like from the book Younger Next Year exercise program. It seems to have kept me healthy - which is the goal of that program. Anyone over 50, if you've not read those books, I recommend them. But you can do it at any age. He says cardio 4-6 days a week and 2-3 days of strength training. This will keep you from getting those aches that old people get.

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - rest day
    1/6 - 5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/8 - 5 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/10 - 4.1
    1/11 - rest day
    1/12 - 4.1
    1/13 - 4.0
    1/14 - 34 miles biking
    1/15 - 56 miles biking - hills! felt like 100 miles
    1/16 - 4 miles + strength training

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    1/1-1/3 - sick
    1/4 - 3.1 miles and yoga
    1/5 - circuit training and yoga
    1/6 - 3.5 miles
    1/7 - rest
    1/8 - yoga
    1/9 - 3.2 miles and yoga
    1/10 - 40 min stationary bike, weight machines
    1/11 - 3.2 miles and yoga
    1/12 - 35 min stationary bike, full body weight machines
    1/13 - yoga
    1/14 - yoga
    1/15 - yoga
    1/16 - 4.31 miles

17.31 miles / 40 miles (43% of goal)

It has been a bit crazy around here. Schools and daycare were closed Friday due to the impending ice storm... which never happened for our area. So we were all stir crazy! Lol Then my daughter spiked a fever and has a possible respiratory infection. We just discovered she has headlice so I've gotta check my son when he gets home and inform the daycare and school. She's currently mad at me because I had to bag up her stuffed animals. Also, tomorrow is my first day of school and I will be missing it and quite possibly the rest of the week.

Bright side? I actually got to run outside today. 52°, a bit windy and wet but it was glorious.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    January milege
    1---0.50 walk
    2---3.47 w
    4---5.37
    6---1.39
    8---1.0
    9,10 ---nada
    11--- swam
    12-15--- nada (work gets in the way)
    16---2.93

10.69/30 running miles
    3.97 walking miles

Hopefully races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half

@BEERRUNNER I always pop them after a day or so with a sterile syringe. I like to draw out the fluid to relieve the pressure... :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 it's great to see you running again!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Another weekend down the drain.

Saturday was a scheduled rest day after having run five days in a row. No big deal there. But I slept horribly on Saturday night which made me exhausted all day Sunday, so no running. This stupid depression is really taking its toll on me and my running. To top everything else off, I've lost my appetite almost completely so my fueling has been bad as well. No wonder I'm so exhausted.

The psychiatrist gave me an emergency prescription to add to my regimen... unfortunately, four days into taking that one and my anxiety spiked really badly. So, had to discontinue that and now we're back to square one. My next appointment with the psych is on the 23rd. Not sure what's going to happen then, but it's obvious something has to change because my current meds just aren't cutting it anymore. The big challenge is finding something that won't aggravate my anxiety, because IMO, anxiety is even worse than depression for me.

Man, I dunno. Everything was going pretty well for quite a while and now BOOM, everything's back to sucking.

Anyway, I brought my gym bag with me today and I'm going to hit the gym by work later today. I haven't seen what that one's like during the after-work rush, so this is an experiment.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: 3 miles
    1/4: 4.3 miles
    1/5: 3 miles
    1/8: 60 mins swim
    1/10: 45 mins swim
    1/14: 45 mins bike
    1/15: 47 mins walk, 45 mins bike
    1/16: 45 mins swim

I had a nice chat with a woman at the gym today who had just got done swimming laps when I was about to start. She used to be a runner as well, but had to stop when she had surgery so she took up swimming. Said she doesn't miss it one bit. I explained I just started swimming again due to a stress injury from running and miss it a lot...can't wait to get back. She then told me that I may not feel that way after swimming for awhile. Nope! No way, lady.

@RunsOnEspresso and @HonuNui Thank you. It was a pretty scary accident and I think my car will end up being totaled, but the most important thing is that nobody was hurt.

@Orphia Wow, that's pretty cool. It seems like seeing a kangaroo is just as common for you as seeing deer is for me...that's crazy!

@7lenny7 Sorry that your run on Sunday was roughly the equivalent of trying to run on a slip n slide! Glad to hear you got in a good run on Saturday though.

@BeeerRunner Great news about your knee! As for the blister, I know you're not supposed to pop them but mine always heal faster when I poke a small hole in it and drain the fluid.

@RespectTheKitty I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I hope they are able to do something for you at your next appointment to help.