January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• banana742581
    banana742581 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's been a few days since I posted my progress. Alot has been going on! I did run 5 miles on wednesday and 4.5 yesterday. I'm going out again now so will update afterwards! =]

Ran: 14.5 out of 60 miles for January!
    Only 45.5 left! I got this!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Good luck @RespectTheKitty . Hope the gym is just what you need.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Missed my run yesterday but made it up today with a total of 5 miles. Did 2 miles easy, 1 mile is strides and 2 more miles easy. I struggled a little with the last 2 so I think next time I will do 3, 1 and 1. It was my first time doing strides and it was fun. I tried to focus on faster turn overs and keeping good form. I try to run 3 days a week now but I think I need to add a fourth day before my long runs get over 6 miles.

Date. Run. MTD
    1/2 - 2 miles - 2 miles
    1/4 - 4 miles - 6 miles
    1/7 - 3.6 miles - 9.6 miles
    1/13- 2.5 miles - 12.1 miles
    1/16- 5.0 miles - 17.1 miles

5/21 Cleveland Marathon Half
    6/11 Run and Ride Cedar Point Half (back up plan) otherwise...
    6/10-11 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k and 10k
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I've also been thinking a little, which is never a good thing. :persevere:

I've been getting a little bored with treadmill running, so I was thinking about saving up a little money to get a couple of personal training sessions so I can learn how to strength train better. Right now, the idea of strength training makes me want to run away screaming, but maybe if the trainer can show me some things that I like to do, it won't be such a chore. Then I could mix up my workouts a bit until it's time to log some outdoor miles.

Does anyone here know of a good beginner's strength program that I might check out?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I've been getting a little bored with treadmill running, so I was thinking about saving up a little money to get a couple of personal training sessions so I can learn how to strength train better. Right now, the idea of strength training makes me want to run away screaming, but maybe if the trainer can show me some things that I like to do, it won't be such a chore. Then I could mix up my workouts a bit until it's time to log some outdoor miles.

Does anyone here know of a good beginner's strength program that I might check out?

I did new rules of lifting for women for awhile. It's a book you can find on Amazon. Strong curves is another book based program but I haven't tried it yet. I've also done you are your own gym (app) which is all body weight stuff. I prefer lifting heavy stuff + body weight over just body weight.

I am currently doing jessie's girls home edition (ebook but comes with access to a facebook group/jessie hilgenberg - shes a competitor). It's a bit more expensive than the options above.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Not sure if your gym offers BodyPump classes, but I like them a lot. It's a full body workout using primarily barbells, sometimes hand weights or plates. With this class, it's also about endurance so you aren't doing super heavy lifting. Therefore, I like this class in support of running. Just start out light and work your way up.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1/4-2.48
    1/5-2.39 miles & Pilates
    1/6-Pilates
    1/7-Rest day
    1/8-Pilates
    1/9-Pilates & 2.5 miles on the treadmill
    1/10-Pilates
    1/11-Pilates & 2.87 miles outside(no knee pain but it was a challenge. I burn so bad)
    1/12-Pilates
    1/13-unintended rest day
    1/14-Rest
    1/15-Rest
    1/16-2.6 miles outside

exercise.png
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Treadmill run at he gym today.

Aim: 100k

8/1: 5.7K
    12/1: 2.6k
    14/1: 10.4k
    15/1: 1.6k
    16/1: 5k

25.3/100k

Stay free of injuries!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Treadmill run with a killer fast finish today, which gave me a fix for a fast run without actually doing one. Marathon training is boring and repetitive without any speedwork! I ran my fastest ever 1km at the end though and it felt great. I even enjoyed my cross training today, which I normally dread.

January Running Challenge
    Great job today! What's the plan you're doing for your marathon training?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals
    1/4 – 5.01 easy
    1/5 – 5.99 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 – rest day
    1/7 – 16.59 warmup + Winter Warrior Half Marathon
    1/8 – 7.62 easy on indoor track
    1/9 – 6.51 easy
    1/10 – 6.02 warmup + MP
    1/11 – 6.20 mostly easy
    1/12 – 9.01 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/13 – rest day
    1/14 – 15.88 warm up, 5 mile race, post-race easy run
    1/15 – 10.06 easy with hills
    1/16 – 6.83 easy plus 4 strides

January total to date – 116.81

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – Today's assignment was a typical Monday in the marathon plan, "easy plus 4 strides." I worked it out to aim for 6.5 miles, and I estimated that 4 strides measured between the fire hydrants on my street would be a half mile, so I ran 6 nice easy miles ending on my own street, then my 4 strides. Total distance came out at 6.83 miles, oops. Working backwards from where I started, I guess those fire hydrants average about 160 meters apart.

FWIW, strides in my program are slightly different from what @Stoshew71 and @MNLittleFinn talk about. In the program I follow, a stride starts from an easy run (either the end of a long easy run like today, or the end of a recovery interval of speed work), then accelerates to R pace (about 1 mile race pace, or 95% of maximum pace), and hold R till the end of the distance. At the end of the stride distance, you back off to an easy run for the same distance as the stride, then go into the next stride. Mentally, you focus on some aspect of good form to hold or improve; what you work on can change over time as you see the need for improvement in one area or another. Maybe one week you focus on good posture, another week on good foot strike, and so on. I've seen assignments like 4 x 50m uphill strides (obvious going downhill between), 4 laps of the track striding the straights, etc. Today's assignment left the stride length up to me, and the fire hydrants are convenient markers.

Weather was gorgeous, 42º F (6º C) and sunshine with a light W wind. I'm acclimated to winter now, so I ran in light gloves, a long sleeve tech shirt, and a summer weight cap. Wore light tights, but probably could have got by in shorts. Couldn't ask for better weather in the middle of January.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• KusiQuyllur2015
    KusiQuyllur2015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

1/11- 2.4..... 2.4
    1/12- 3.4..... 5.8
    1/13- 3.8..... 9.6
    1/14- 2.7..... 12.3
    1/15- 4.3..... 16.6
    1/16- 3.3..... 19.9
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp that's a good writer up on your strides. While most terms seem fairly universal, It's always interesting seeing how different coaches/programs define things.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    2 miles today. 6.18 for the month.

I think I might be getting a form of vertigo while running. Right around the two-mile mark I get dizzy and feel like I'm looking at a funhouse mirror. I stop to walk and I feel like I'm drunk, wobbling all over the sidewalk. I sit down and once the feeling passes I can walk normal again (I don't attempt to run). I may have to take a break until I can get into the doctor. :'(
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2017
    Options
    2 miles today. 6.18 for the month.

I think I might be getting a form of vertigo while running. Right around the two-mile mark I get dizzy and feel like I'm looking at a funhouse mirror. I stop to walk and I feel like I'm drunk, wobbling all over the sidewalk. I sit down and once the feeling passes I can walk normal again (I don't attempt to run). I may have to take a break until I can get into the doctor. :'(

This happened to me... It was easy to fix (if it's the same thing). I'll google it can come back. Of course it could be sinus issues too. BRB

http://www.swedish.org/blog/2013/04/dizziness-from-loose-crystals-in-your-head

I found the procedure once. Bet it can be found again. It amazingly fixed it in 10 minutes. BRB

I know it sounds like hokum!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver?wprov=sfla1

If that doesn't help, some dramine might. Or try both. I still get car sick. My inner ear is sensitive I guess.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I wanna be one of those cases that was told not to return and be a real bad kitten by time I hit the 50-55+ AG and RW is gonna do a write up on me, and y'all can say "I knew her when she couldn't put one foot in front of the other..." :wink:
    @Elise4270 Haha, I believe with your determination you will get there someday! I want to be one of those cases as well, except I don't want to have the bad injury to get me there. Actually, I had a back injury in high school where I chipped a vertebrae and was told I shouldn't play any sports that involved running for long periods of time. I actually had kinda forgotten about that when I started running because, surprisingly enough, I don't really experience back pain when I run just when I'm practicing bad bending mechanics while bending at the waist a lot during daily activities. The injury was in 2005. I completed my first marathon in 2014.

@MobyCarp Thanks for the explanation on the strides. I had intended to start incorporating them into my marathon training before I was injured. I'll get to it at some point this year.

@RunsOnEspresso You mentioned you had a sinus infection, right? I wonder if some of the pressure hanging around may be a factor in what you're experiencing as I believe vertigo deals with the inner ear. Just a guess. Or what @Elise4270 said as she is probably more knowledgeable than me.

• Elise4270
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 Thanks for that inspirational story!

@RunsOnEspresso sinus pressure will definitely do it. I don't like to drive at night because all the lights and movement in the dark makes me wobbly.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    01/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/07/17 :::: 6.9 :::: 24.2
    01/08/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 26.7
    01/09/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 29.5
    01/10/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 32.1
    01/11/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 34.7
    01/12/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 38.2
    01/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 38.2
    01/14/17 :::: 3.4 :::: 41.6
    01/15/17 :::: 5.5 :::: 47.2
    01/16/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 50.7

Run group workout tonight - 1 minute hard intervals x 9 (1 minute recovery between). Good lord, my lungs were burning. Then 4 sprints. With warm-up and cool-down of 10 minutes each. I also hiked with Stella today for a little over 6.5 miles, so I'm just about to have some ice cream to celebrate all that.

I'm track to go well over my goal for January buuuuut, tomorrow starts a new busy semester and I have travel coming up at the end of the month. I may need this cushion. I'd really like to finish out the month strong though!

This Saturday is another 5k and the weather is promising to be pretty good. The race is followed by chili tasting so you can't beat that.