question - movie going etiquette

Options
Motorsheen
Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
Okay, so this week Trophywife and I go out to see a movie. I prefer to watch movies at home for a number of reasons but going out for a movie on the big screen is okay too.

The movie was The Arrival with Amy Adams. I only mention the title because it was a very visual experience (as opposed to a light comedy where the dialogue is more relevant than the visual) and is thus germane to the question.

We get to the theater early and we sit in the next to the back row. The theater is about half full (or empty depending on your personality type). I digress....

So the trailers are rolling and this older couple come tripping into the theater. Yes, they were tripping over his white cane with a red tip. The guy was blind. Okay, sheesh... no worries, it's your fifteen dollars; spend it however you like.

The man man is blind and his companion sits next to him and directly behind me. She starts talking... and talking... and talking. She is explaining every setting that appears on screen. Which makes sense, because the old dude is effin' blind.

Thing is, she's talking constantly. Trophywife doesn't realize the guy is blind because they walked into a dark theater and she didn't see them.

After about ten minutes of her constant talking, Trophywife politely, very politely, asks her to please stop talking; she doesn't. She keeps talking and talking. Remember, this is a visually striking movie so she is describing a lot (pretty much everything) to the blind gentleman.

After about 20 minutes, I nudge my wife and we move about 5 rows down. I don't say a word or make eye contact; neither does she. We just move. Problem Solved.

Okay, I understand the guy is blind and old and I wouldn't want to trade places with him for anything but it was annoying to a lot of other people sitting in their vicinity. It had to be.

At the end of the day, this is such a little thing. It's just a discussion of expectations. So...

What are your thoughts on this?

Do they have a right to visit the theater? (Of course they do.)

Should they have gone to the movies knowing that they would be annoying a few other people?

Was it rude of them to attend knowing that they would be a distraction? Why not wait a few weeks and watch it in the privacy of their own home on DVD ?

Should others around them be tolerant because of the gentleman's disability?

... or should there be an expectation of being able to enjoy the movie without distraction no matter the circumstance ?

How would you have handled the situation?

Discuss.

Replies

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If we are being honest that would annoy me quite a bit. I get people have a right to go to the movies, but they should know that talking throughout a movie is a no no, and honestly they could get kicked out for doing so, regardless if the guy is blind or not. I would think if I was in that situation I would be considerate enough to watch it at home.. er have it described to me at home as to not bother others.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    It's rude to talk in the movie theater loud enough to distract other people. Period. No exceptions for the blind.

My grandfather and OH's father were legally blind before their deaths and I wouldn't have taken them to the movies and narrated. Narration can take place at home.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    That would be annoying. If the theatre was not full why couldn't they have sat somewhere they wouldn't disturb people
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    That would be annoying. If the theatre was not full why couldn't they have sat somewhere they wouldn't disturb people

my thoughts too.

there was the vacant disabled row at the back of the theater.

maybe they didn't see it because all of the lights were down when they walked in. That being said, if you have special needs, why not show up 15 minutes earlier?

• Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I usually talk and make jokes during movies if its bad .. which is usually every time so I can't really say anything against them
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's rude, regardless of how long the film has been out. A cinema trip isn't cheap and then to not be able to hear it because of other people isn't fair. If it had been 2 sighted people talking what would you have done?
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't follow a movie in a theater, it seems like there's always too much going on to me to pay attention. Do people go to the theater to watch a movie anyway? I thought it was just for the experiance
  • nickkd
    nickkd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't bother me. Their lives might well be a hell that you can't imagine. One spoiled night for me could be one night that they will never forget.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    It would bother me. I've no problem with a blind person having a movie explained to them but if that's what they're going to do, then they should respect the other patrons and sit far enough away from others so as not to be a distraction. It was a half-full theater, after all...
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I probably wouldn't even notice unless someone would point it out to me. And if blind guy likes to pay all that money for bad popcorn and a film he can't see.. Then it's none of my business
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    No this is a different situation. Theaters have special equipment for the visually and hearing impaired so that neither party needs to be inconvenienced or made to feel uncomfortable.

I understand they may have tools to assist with the couple viewing. OP asked if there was an expectation of enjoying the movie without distraction regardless of circumstances. My response was mostly directed to that part of the inquiry.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    It would bother me. I've no problem with a blind person having a movie explained to them but if that's what they're going to do, then they should respect the other patrons and sit far enough away from others so as not to be a distraction. It was a half-full theater, after all...

half empty

..... dammit.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't see this bugging me.

I go to the movies all the time. I've seen at least 20 films this year. I can't even tell you how much a movie costs or when the matinee time is versus the night time cost.

I just can't bring myself to be bothered by a blind man being described a movie. I just can't bring myself to care that much about him going to a film when I go all the time, can see them, and don't even know precisely how much they cost.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

half empty

..... dammit.

You're so pessimistic... ;)
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

half empty

..... dammit.

You're so pessimistic... ;)

well, it's worked pretty good for me so far.

..... I just don't expect it will much longer.
  • Salamander164
    Salamander164 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the blame is being placed in the wrong place here. The problem is neither that you and your wife wanted to watch the film in peace (reasonable), or that they wanted to go to the cinema (also reasonable).

The problem is that the cinema staff either did not provide the necessary equipment for the blind person to hear a description or did not direct the couple toward these facilities - the white cane was a pretty good indicator that this customer might require them.

The Disability Discrimination Act (UK, that is) requires businesses to make all reasonable modifications to permit disabled customers to utilise their service to the same extent as others. They are making money out of the tickets sales to both couples - they don't have the right to play customers off against one another, so that one party does not get the service that they paid for!