question - movie going etiquette

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Don't they have "crying rooms" over there?
    There is one in the cinema near me and I believe in a lot of cinemas where if a child starts to cry or is having a tantrum mums can go to this soundproof room ..still watch the movie and their child doesn't bother anyone..
    Providing there is nobody in it... (it's generally underutilised)
    It would have been perfect for them..
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I feel the blame is being placed in the wrong place here. The problem is neither that you and your wife wanted to watch the film in peace (reasonable), or that they wanted to go to the cinema (also reasonable).

The problem is that the cinema staff either did not provide the necessary equipment for the blind person to hear a description or did not direct the couple toward these facilities - the white cane was a pretty good indicator that this customer might require them.

The Disability Discrimination Act (UK, that is) requires businesses to make all reasonable modifications to permit disabled customers to utilise their service to the same extent as others. They are making money out of the tickets sales to both couples - they don't have the right to play customers off against one another, so that one party does not get the service that they paid for!

Yeah, we have the ADA law here but it's more driven towards h/c accessibility. The ADA law is only enforced thru litigation; there are no ADA police.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Don't they have "crying rooms" over there?
    There is one in the cinema near me and I believe in a lot of cinemas where if a child starts to cry or is having a tantrum mums can go to this soundproof room ..still watch the movie and their child doesn't bother anyone..
    Providing there is nobody in it... (it's generally underutilised)
    It would have been perfect for them..

Every room in our home is a crying room.

In fact, a couple are even deemed curl up into the fetal position in a dark corner and sob you eyes out.... room.
  • UnderGroundMusic
    UnderGroundMusic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't stand people who talk during the movie. You would think it's common sense/courtesy, but the last couple of times I've went to the theater, I sat in front of, or directly behind loud people. I don't mean laughing. I mean the overreacting scream at the top of their lungs, telling the people on screen not to do this that and the third, etc.

It's an annoyance that usually keeps me from going to the movies.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I can't stand people who talk during the movie. You would think it's common sense/courtesy, but the last couple of times I've went to the theater, I sat in front of, or directly behind loud people. I don't mean laughing. I mean the overreacting scream at the top of their lungs, telling the people on screen not to do this that and the third, etc.

That's just it. I usually just watch at home on our big screen with big sound. That being said, some movies work great on the Big screen; this was one of those movies.

It's not the cost of going to the movies, it's the fact that there is usually some *kitten* stick ruining it for others.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    I honestly can't follow a movie in a theater, it seems like there's always too much going on to me to pay attention. Do people go to the theater to watch a movie anyway? I thought it was just for the experiance

Sounds like the only movie you go to is the midnight showing of Rocky Horror.

Otherwise, what's going on that's distracting? People eating popcorn?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    I honestly can't follow a movie in a theater, it seems like there's always too much going on to me to pay attention. Do people go to the theater to watch a movie anyway? I thought it was just for the experiance

Sounds like the only movie you go to is the midnight showing of Rocky Horror.

Otherwise, what's going on that's distracting? People eating popcorn?

..... that's not popcorn that they're eating
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that that's why they sat far in the back. I would show understanding and just move! No big deal! :smile:

I understand your name now. You are fabulous (not just a pretty face). :)<3<3<3
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This is probably wrong, but I would have been more embarrassed by the wife (accidentally) chewing out a blind person.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    People do things that are not always gonna be in accordance to how we think they should done. It happens in the grocery store, the bank, the office, driving down the road, waiting for your order at the drive through, and this is no different for me.

Everything in life results in the way we react to it. Its just something else that happens everyday, so I would have just got up, moved some where else and let it go..
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I would probably be a little annoyed. However I am also annoyed by noisy children in public places too. I recognise that I can't control other people's behavior and that they have as much right to be there as I have. Whether or not I or anyone else thinks they are ude they are going to continue to be who they are. So I get on with my day and generally don't feel the need to rant about the issue on line.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    https://www.marqueecinemas.com/ccdvsinfo.html

What is CC/DVS?

Marquee Cinemas offers assistive listening and closed captioning (CC) devices in select auditoriums for patrons who may be hard of hearing or deaf. Assistive listening headsets can help to amplify a movie’s audio and dialogue more clearly. Closed captioning transmitters simply rest in a cupholder and can be adjusted to a guest’s line of sight to deliver a privately viewed written description of the film’s audio.

Guests may also take advantage of descriptive video headsets in select auditoriums. These headsets will provide narrative information about key visual actions, film setting, and scene changes for patrons who have low vision or those who are blind.

Please check with your local theater’s box office about utilizing a CC/DVS device to assist your next movie going experience.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I used to take a blind fellow to the movies when I was in high school as a community service kind of thing. We always sat way up front because no one ever sits there unless the place is completely sold out. It sucked for me but I wasn't really there to see the movie anyway.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    It would annoy the *kitten* out of me. Plus they have special equipment for visually impaired. I think headphones that describe stuff like the wife was describing. I can't stand when people talk and have told people to be quite a lot. It costs a small fortune to go to the movies. Don't ruin it for the people around you and if you do don't be surprised if you get a bucket of popcorn dumped on your head (that is the exact reason why those cone with free refills....who can actually finish one of those)

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the theaters in the city near our small town have descriptive video where the person attending has descriptions come through a set of headphones, thus not bothering others. Other than that, they should have sat as far from people as they could so they would not distract others.
  • Motorsheen
    edited January 2017
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    This is probably wrong, but I would have been more embarrassed by the wife (accidentally) chewing out a blind person.

She didn't "chew out " a blind person.

Please reread the original post while giving close attention to the wording of : Politely & Very Politely

Thank you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Very rude of them IMO. Being blind isn't an excuse for being a *kitten*.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Please reread the original post while giving close attention to the wording of : Politely & Very Politely

Thank you.

My chewing out is usually quite polite. I'd personally have been embarassed to have chastised a blind person and would have preferred to have skipped straight ahead to changing seats.

"Dear Old Man & Companion/Aide, could you please not inconvenience me with your blindness? Thank you."
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Thank you.

My chewing out is usually quite polite. I'd personally have been embarassed to have chastised a blind person and would have preferred to have skipped straight ahead to changing seats.

"Dear Old Man & Companion/Aide, could you please not inconvenience me with your blindness? Thank you."

Thier blindness was not an inconvience.

Their behavior was distracting to others.

Separate issues.

Evidently, we differ on the definition of: chew out.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Thank you.

Thier blindness was not an inconvience.

Their behavior was distracting to others.

Separate issues.

Evidently, we differ on the definition of: chew out.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that they selected a seat way at the back so they would have the best chance of being away from other patrons - ones who presumably could relocate easily.