Packaged, already made, raw vegan meals?

Options
124»

Replies

• amandaiams
    amandaiams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a service near my work that delivers prepared food, although some is cooked. However, I do think there are raw options. Maybe if you dig you can find someone like that near you? I was honestly suprised such a thing existed in Shreveport, LA. In the south, the word "vegan" is akin to the f-bomb.
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Raw means uncooked and unprocessed food. The question asked here, is whether it's available in a commercial, pre-packaged "ready to eat" way. This is impossible by definition, since that food would have to be processed to last long enough on the shelves of the stores. The only way to eat raw vegan is to take fresh products yourself and then do something with them. Just experiment and check out recipes on YouTube, for example this raw vegan lasagne made by Jonsí of the band Sigur Ros. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    Raw means uncooked and unprocessed food. The question asked here, is whether it's available in a commercial, pre-packaged "ready to eat" way. This is impossible by definition, since that food would have to be processed to last long enough on the shelves of the stores. The only way to eat raw vegan is to take fresh products yourself and then do something with them. Just experiment and check out recipes on YouTube, for example this raw vegan lasagne made by Jonsí of the band Sigur Ros. :)

I've seen raw recipes with processed food -- things like nama shoyu, nut butters, olive oil.
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've seen raw recipes with processed food -- things like nama shoyu, nut butters, olive oil.
    Didn't know that. So are those processed foods considered fully "raw" within the definition of the ideology, or are they more like acceptable grey areas to serve the purpose of the recipe?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Didn't know that. So are those processed foods considered fully "raw" within the definition of the ideology, or are they more like acceptable grey areas to serve the purpose of the recipe?

That would be my question too considering that the ideology behind the movement is basically that cooking is unnatural processing...I would think any processing would be off limits and "unnatural"...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Rawness isn't necessarily about avoiding any type of processing. It's about avoiding foods that have been heated more than a certain amount. As long as a processed food is raw, it can be included. Now eating raw would wind up excluding a lot of processed foods just because they aren't raw. But nama shoyu is a specifically raw product, cold-pressed olive oil is raw, things that are dehydrated like kale chips would be raw, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are there any healthy packaged, already made, raw vegan meals that you would recommend? Thanks☺to be more specific i mean meals like vegan spaghetti etc not a single piece of fruit and I'm already aware of salads so something other than that.Thanks again.

vegan spaghetti is a thing...raw vegan spaghetti isn't. You also mentioned mashed cauliflower...you'd need to cook it to mash it though I have seen it "riced" prepackaged in stores.

Really, "raw" is pretty much going to be a single piece of fruit (or a fruit salad), salads, handfuls of nuts, avocados, etc...you may need to rethink this.

Raw vegan is a lot more complex and diverse than this, and whilst I wouldn't/couldn't/will never ever be raw vegan, lots of the food is actually delicious (but highly calorific and massive amounts of work).
    (and raw vegan spaghetti is a thing...vegie noodles with a tomato based sauce, often either lots of mushrooms and nuts to emulate meat topped with nutritional yeast)

Based on this thread and the OPs other posts, somehow I don't see the OP putting massive amounts of work into preparing complex raw meals...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are there any healthy packaged, already made, raw vegan meals that you would recommend? Thanks☺to be more specific i mean meals like vegan spaghetti etc not a single piece of fruit and I'm already aware of salads so something other than that.Thanks again.

vegan spaghetti is a thing...raw vegan spaghetti isn't. You also mentioned mashed cauliflower...you'd need to cook it to mash it though I have seen it "riced" prepackaged in stores.

Really, "raw" is pretty much going to be a single piece of fruit (or a fruit salad), salads, handfuls of nuts, avocados, etc...you may need to rethink this.

My mom has a handful of raw cookbooks (she isn't fully raw, but she enjoys incorporating raw meals into her diet) and there are more complex dishes. There is even a place in Memphis where she lives that does a delicious raw "burger" (walnut-based). So there are more complex dishes, but they're pretty labor-intensive (or at least the ones that I've seen) and usually require fancier equipment (dehydrator, powerful blender, etc). To circle back to OP's question, I'm not aware of any place that is selling them packaged -- they just wouldn't have much of a shelf-life at all.

Ya, I had a few friends who were long time vegans who went raw one summer but found it unsustainable due to being so labor intensive plus wanting warm foods when the cold weather kicked in.