Why such hate for running or cardio?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    People bash lifters as well, it's just that we don't cry about it.

And hello d-bag who had nothing good to say, so said something ignorant. I am really crying, its intense. I just ca- ca- ca- cant stop.

Shut the f up.

well, aren't you just a delight to be around. i better start taking up running, as I am now witness to the inner peace it brings.

Her response seems typical for OPs who start threads with "why hate" or "why bash," emotionally tied up about minor discussions and confused by basic human interaction.

<< Runs and lifts.
  • BrittanyAnnL
    BrittanyAnnL Posts: 140
    Options

And hello d-bag who had nothing good to say, so said something ignorant. I am really crying, its intense. I just ca- ca- ca- cant stop.

Shut the f up.

Well, aren't you a peach?

Negative. Aggressive & plain spoken.. yes. Absolutely.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anybody bash cardio on here. I've seen people suggest that people who do only cardio should pick up weight training, but they're not mean about it. There's nothing wrong with cardio, I personally do little to no cardio, but that's personal preference.

This^^^

I generally only see people suggest that maybe certain individuals should take it easy on the cardio and instead of doing two hours a day or whatever....maybe balance that out with spending an hour or so doing resistance training.

Personally, I'm all about fitness...being fit requires cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, balance, and flexibility. Any good fitness regimen is going to incorporate aspects of each...how much would depend on what specifically the individual was training for at any given time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cardio is nearly always boring and takes WAY too long.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What?

No one ever bashes anyone around here. MFP is all about Unicorns and Rainbows.

horse-magical-rainbow-rhino-unicorn-Favim.com-166598.jpg
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    dis.gif \m/
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I started out only doing the elliptical. I've since added other things, including weightlifting (although I wouldn't call what I do "heavy lifting"; I'm still pretty wimpy), but I still do the elliptical too, not every day anymore, but at least 4 times a week. I would definitely not have lost as much weight as I have so far without cardio.

As far as why I personally hate running, it's hard on my knees and I have all kinds of negative associations with gym class and being one of the slowest runners. I seriously doubt if running will ever be my thing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've seen the cardio bashing too and surprised so many people say they haven't...
    Daft statements like "your body is going to start eating up all its muscle" etc..

It seems that unless it's HIIT everyone think cardio is pointless which betrays a lack of understanding that, as with weights, there are different training methods for different goals.

Personally I'd encourage people to do both for all aspects of their health.
    BTW - I hate running but I don't hate runners.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What?

No one ever bashes anyone around here. MFP is all about Unicorns and Rainbows.

horse-magical-rainbow-rhino-unicorn-Favim.com-166598.jpg

Ah, THAT'S how baby unicorns are made! And I'd argue that it's both cardio and lifting.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Shut the f up.

:laugh: :laugh:

tumblr_mead31PhG61ru1wbho1_500.gif
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Shut the f up.

38301551.jpg

Yes. Whoa.
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options
    I've never seen anybody bash cardio on here. I've seen people suggest that people who do only cardio should pick up weight training, but they're not mean about it. There's nothing wrong with cardio, I personally do little to no cardio, but that's personal preference.

This^^^

I generally only see people suggest that maybe certain individuals should take it easy on the cardio and instead of doing two hours a day or whatever....maybe balance that out with spending an hour or so doing resistance training.

Personally, I'm all about fitness...being fit requires cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, balance, and flexibility. Any good fitness regimen is going to incorporate aspects of each...how much would depend on what specifically the individual was training for at any given time.

I'm talking about the people who are all hardcore.. My way or no way. Its not just on MFP in general. At the gym, in fitness articles, blogs, etc. I see a lot of negative things said about cardio. I was just curious if anyone that's a cardio basher could share why they thought it irrelevant to do cardio.

I agree its all about balance. When I first started losing weight I ran exclusively and it worked. I dropped the lbs rapidly. But then I looked in the mirror and realized skinny fat was not my goal and started lifting weights.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy & I enjoy running. They seem to both have their own psychological benefits. After a good run, I feel very peaceful & zen-like. When I'm super stressed, I always go for a run, even just a short one & it always helps. After a great strength training session, I just feel like a badlazz & I really respect what my body can actually do. I'm doing more high incline walking now as cardio to help me with some of my "trouble areas" (thanks, bodybuilding.com!) But I enjoy both. ;)

Ah! I love the incline walking as well! Treadmill sprints are my all time favorite but nothing beats a slow steady run when you are in a bad mood. lol.

I used to run distance. My mom ran distance. After she died, I decided to celebrate her life & started running to connect with her on some level. I had never run before & was ~200 pounds. I didn't have access to a gym. It helped me work through my grief & I grew a lot as a person. I rarely run long distances anymore, as I'm trying to build muscle... But I definitely don't regret it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

This^^^

I'm talking about the people who are all hardcore.. My way or no way. Its not just on MFP in general. At the gym, in fitness articles, blogs, etc. I see a lot of negative things said about cardio. I was just curious if anyone that's a cardio basher could share why they thought it irrelevant to do cardio.

I agree its all about balance. When I first started losing weight I ran exclusively and it worked. I dropped the lbs rapidly. But then I looked in the mirror and realized skinny fat was not my goal and started lifting weights.

Such people are everywhere. Why create a forum post about it? Why not just run and enjoy it?
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options
    Has no one ever said "shut the f up" on here before?? Just curious. I mean... I feel like I committed some type of unforgiveable sin. Its my personality, don't like it...... then ignore me. :) lol. I grew up with 5 older brothers, sweet and ladylike isn't in my character, more like eat or be eaten.
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options

This^^^

Such people are everywhere. Why create a forum post about it? Why not just run and enjoy it?

Why post about anything? Its to get different perspectives. Like I said, was just curious if anyone could explain why they thought cardio was irrelevant.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I UNDERSTAND that tons of cardio alone will not make you fit & give you those incredible results that lifting weights will. BUT, why such hostility from people that hate cardio?

Because it's hard. It's also trendy to hate.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This^^^

Why post about anything? Its to get different perspectives. Like I said, was just curious if anyone could explain why they thought cardio was irrelevant.

I don't see a lot of "cardio is irrelevant" spewed. I see a lot of mis-information though, and TBH the hard core runners here say the same crap to the "I only lift heavy" crowd. It keeps the place entertaining.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ummm I love me some cardio (zumba, kick boxing, hip hop abs and dance. Basically I like to shake my *kitten*) and running and weight lifing. I didn't know I has to choose a side...... Bummer.....
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OP:
    BUT, why such hostility from people that hate cardio?

Also the OP:
    So anyway... I agree that the people who only utilize the treadmill & elliptical are rather annoying..

These statements don't seem to go together.