Over 50, Just Joined

Options
2»

Replies

• patmprecop
    patmprecop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lost 63 pounds here on MFP in about 10-11 months, starting at age 59 (now 61, been in maintenance about a year, in the low 120s at 5'5"). I'm hypothyroid, as well as post-menopausal.

By your/my age, we tend to know ourselves pretty well, and have both successes and failures in our pasts, so we know our strengths and limitations. These are powerful tools we can exploit in a quest to get healthier.

+1 to lots of good advice above. I'd add that it may be helpful to set a slower weight loss goal at first, in order to give yourself time to figure out what/when/how to eat and still stay happy & satiated.

One helpful technique, for me, was to log food meticulously, then review my diary regularly, looking for things that "cost" a lot of calories, but didn't bring me enough tastiness, satiation or nutrition for those calories. I'd reduce or eliminate those foods, instead eating something else I enjoyed that better contributed to my goals. Gradually, my eating became more nutritious and filling, while still being tasty. Special foods or meals are not needed.

Get a food scale, and use it at home. They're only about $15-20, and not only more accurate, but also quicker and easier than measuring with cups/spoons, once you know the tricks.

While exercise is not essential for weight loss, it helps avoid unnecessarily losing muscle along with fat. Since muscle is slower to add at an older age, and because muscle helps us delay that potential one-way trip to the assisted living facility, it's worth hanging onto what we have now. As a bonus, a pound of muscle burns more calories than a pound of fat (just a few more - but still! ;) ).

You can do this: Persistence and patience are your friends!

Thank you so much for the helpful info!
  • patmprecop
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lost 63 pounds here on MFP in about 10-11 months, starting at age 59 (now 61, been in maintenance about a year, in the low 120s at 5'5"). I'm hypothyroid, as well as post-menopausal.

By your/my age, we tend to know ourselves pretty well, and have both successes and failures in our pasts, so we know our strengths and limitations. These are powerful tools we can exploit in a quest to get healthier.

+1 to lots of good advice above. I'd add that it may be helpful to set a slower weight loss goal at first, in order to give yourself time to figure out what/when/how to eat and still stay happy & satiated.

One helpful technique, for me, was to log food meticulously, then review my diary regularly, looking for things that "cost" a lot of calories, but didn't bring me enough tastiness, satiation or nutrition for those calories. I'd reduce or eliminate those foods, instead eating something else I enjoyed that better contributed to my goals. Gradually, my eating became more nutritious and filling, while still being tasty. Special foods or meals are not needed.

Get a food scale, and use it at home. They're only about $15-20, and not only more accurate, but also quicker and easier than measuring with cups/spoons, once you know the tricks.

While exercise is not essential for weight loss, it helps avoid unnecessarily losing muscle along with fat. Since muscle is slower to add at an older age, and because muscle helps us delay that potential one-way trip to the assisted living facility, it's worth hanging onto what we have now. As a bonus, a pound of muscle burns more calories than a pound of fat (just a few more - but still! ;) ).

You can do this: Persistence and patience are your friends!

All of this is solid advice, and it's what I've followed to successfully lose 94 pounds starting at age 52.

It's true that caloric needs change slightly as we get older, but we can still lose weight quite simply.

I've dieted on and off my whole life and tried lots of different things, and I have to say that logging on MFP has been the easiest "diet" I've ever tried. It's also been the one I've been most successful with. I always thought it was hard for me to lose weight. It turns out that it's not. I've had an easier time losing weight now, after menopause, than I ever did when I was younger.

Hanging around the forums and learning about how weight loss works so that I could implement a proper caloric deficit and finding out about how I could choose different foods to keep me feeling satisfied and not deprived while getting proper nutrition was life-changing, and enabled me to learn the principles of ongoing weight management.

I agree, you can do this. Trust me, if I can (I failed at 40 years of dieting) anyone can!

Sounds so much like me. I've tried so many different diets. I'm so encouraged by everyone. It's about being accountable. Thanks.
  • patmprecop
    Options
    And congratulations everyone on your weight loss, just awesome!!