Planet Fitness Is The Worst Gym In Existence

Options

Replies

• geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like their advertising, but the facility I go to itself isn't bad. I chose it because I am not in a place financially where I can pay more than $10 a month. It works for my needs right now, which are an indoor space to do cardio that isn't on the top floor of an apartment building. Also my strength leaves a lot to be desired, so I'm still lifting light enough weights that what they have works for me for now.

If I get to a place where I need more lifting options or heavier weights and a better situation financially, I'll switch to something that better suits my needs then.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend goes to planet fitness and has lost 60lbs and gained a lot of muscle but he complaines about people just sitting at machines not using them. He says some people just stand at the machine and take selfies or just walk around. I understand what you mean about the mindset.
    I think some missed my point. I wasn't speaking to the results being mediocre. Hell, you can go to a riverbed and move rocks around and build muscle. I was talking specifically about the mindset of the people whom their advertising appeals to. The kind of person who is less likely to be going to the gym to improve themselves, than to shut up a spouse, a doctor, whatever. The "I'm trying" but not really trying crowd.

While I have seen people clearly just goofing off, there are legitimate reasons to sit at a machine - the heavier you lift, the longer you have to rest in between sets.

Not resting long enough in between sets was one of two reasons why I injured myself last year. Sitting bores me, so I do knee strengthening exercises and other things in between sets.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    JoyMaillet wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I went there 60 lb dumbbells was the highest weight killed it for me. Powerhouse gym I currently belong to has 190 lbs dumbbells I use 110 for several lifts so it just made sense. Money $235 a year vs $120 a year its worth it to be in an atmosphere of heavy lifters rather than offending a Planet Fitness member.. The planet fitness "Judgement free" commercials are a JOKE..

No one starts out using 110 let alone 190 pound dumbbells. Clearly PF is not the gym for you. But I think it serves an important niche. I'm sorry the advertising offends a lot of you, but you're not the target audience.

I'm currently going to a women-only gym. It's right around the corner from my house, which is where I work. I love being able to go at lunch time. The dumbbells only go up to 55 pounds. Right now the highest I'm using is 30. Should I regularly need heavier weights, I will look for an alternative. And I'll probably pick the PF that is going in down the street, as I've learned that location is really, really important for me.

I'll save my outrage regarding corporate policy for banks like Wells Fargo and meat/dairy producing companies that treat their animals cruelly.

Women's only gyms..dont get me started...all
    These years striving for equality, to be able to even go to a gym where men have typically dominated..only to cower and hide because of our insecurity, segregating ourselves because we are uncomfoetable in our bodies. Saddens me to no end. Do not give me the "sleazy leering men" that is extremely rare. It's the modern day equivalent of a burka.

Again, it's another way to get people, in this case women, who feel intimidated/uncomfortable about a regular gym in the door.

My gym doesn't do any marketing around the absence of "sleazy leering men" - it simply says "for women."

I started going to this gym thinking it and the concept was lame, and fully intending to move on once my free week was over, but I do yoga moves in between sets, and it's nice not feeling self conscious about sticking my butt in the air, etc.

I am a woman who has mostly held blue and white collar jobs dominated by men, as well as serving in a very macho specialty in the military. I've had far more male friends than women. The coworkers to whom I am closest are men. The people I turn to for weight lifting advice IRL are men. But despite all that, I am enjoying being in a female-only gym.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just realized why it annoys me so (to the point that I was wondering why my reaction was so strong): it pretty much is analogous to me of people mocking others for eating arugula, as if there's something wrong with that, or for enjoying supposedly nerdy things like the symphony or reading or some such or for liking school. A bit of a reversal, but same concept, and really bad for society, as well as just dumb and nasty, IMO.

Maybe that's weird. ;-)

Eh, people are always hating on kale, which I grow, eat every day, and currently have in my avatar. The hating doesn't bother me.

Saying "I don't like kale" doesn't bother me (although I also like it).

If people were claiming (as with the dumb arugula thing) that eating kale was something people were doing to show off or be pretentious and that it was something that should be mocked and considered uncool, then I would think that was harmful, yeah.

(See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/22/AR2008082202958.html: there's a kale reference too, which you might like, although it's funny because once upon a time both were inexpensive foods for not so well off people. I have a cookbook by some Irish vegetarian chef whose name escapes me -- it's all farm to table stuff and seasonal with great photos -- and he has an essay about kale and spinach being uncool when he (or we, the spinach was about the US) were kids, but now it's a long enough divide for them to lose the stigma of being cheap or some such. Anyway, the essay was better than I am at describing it.)
    When I didn't have a smart phone (and before that when I didn't have a cell phone) I caught a lot of flack for that. Again, not a problem.

Again, different. (I don't think there's a particular desire to make up stupid divisive stereotypes about people who do or don't like or have smart phones, but maybe I missed it.)

Sneering at people for wanting to be good at things or take them seriously, and suggesting that doing so makes you elitist or intimidating or bad people, etc., is simply a way of discouraging people from caring about or doing those things, and I think is used in a way that is actively bad in our culture. Certainly the anti elitist stuff for caring about education or good food is, IMO, and why isn't the sneering at serious gyms the same thing?

Speaking of inexpensive foods for not so well off people, I'm going to be making French Onion Soup using a recipe that starts with beef bones in a slow cooker, and was thinking how peasant is this - bones, onions, bread, and cheese.

Thanks for the link!

• Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I went there 60 lb dumbbells was the highest weight killed it for me. Powerhouse gym I currently belong to has 190 lbs dumbbells I use 110 for several lifts so it just made sense. Money $235 a year vs $120 a year its worth it to be in an atmosphere of heavy lifters rather than offending a Planet Fitness member.. The planet fitness "Judgement free" commercials are a JOKE..

No one starts out using 110 let alone 190 pound dumbbells. Clearly PF is not the gym for you. But I think it serves an important niche. I'm sorry the advertising offends a lot of you, but you're not the target audience.

I'm currently going to a women-only gym. It's right around the corner from my house, which is where I work. I love being able to go at lunch time. The dumbbells only go up to 55 pounds. Right now the highest I'm using is 30. Should I regularly need heavier weights, I will look for an alternative. And I'll probably pick the PF that is going in down the street, as I've learned that location is really, really important for me.

I'll save my outrage regarding corporate policy for banks like Wells Fargo and meat/dairy producing companies that treat their animals cruelly.

These years striving for equality, to be able to even go to a gym where men have typically dominated..only to cower and hide because of our insecurity, segregating ourselves because we are uncomfoetable in our bodies. Saddens me to no end. Do not give me the "sleazy leering men" that is extremely rare. It's the modern day equivalent of a burka.

Again, it's another way to get people, in this case women, who feel intimidated/uncomfortable about a regular gym in the door.

My gym doesn't do any marketing around the absence of "sleazy leering men" - it simply says "for women."

I started going to this gym thinking it and the concept was lame, and fully intending to move on once my free week was over, but I do yoga moves in between sets, and it's nice not feeling self conscious about sticking my butt in the air, etc.

I am a woman who has mostly held blue and white collar jobs dominated by men, as well as serving in a very macho specialty in the military. I've had far more male friends than women. The coworkers to whom I am closest are men. The people I turn to for weight lifting advice IRL are men. But despite all that, I am enjoying being in a female-only gym.

So you have no problem with male only segments for the military then? Male only gyms? Are those ok? Maybe some guys don't wanna work out with a bunch of *kitten* around..
  • kshama2001
    Options

So you have no problem with male only segments for the military then? Male only gyms? Are those ok? Maybe some guys don't wanna work out with a bunch of *kitten* around..

Any answer I give here will wildly derail the thread - feel free to start one in Debate about single sex gyms and I will be happy to participate. Please ping me if you do.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

However, having a bunch of women motivates men to workout harder, sometimes. It's magical, there are no sitting on benches and wasting space when women are at the gym. All of the men are pushing all of the weight they can. :smile:
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. My location has more youth wanting to socialize than serious exercisers- because of that I totally feel like it is not a true judgement free zone. Furthermore, several people in my area have a membership strictly for the tanning beds. Also - the free pizza and bagels is B.S. If they wanted to do this for members then at least not have it 2 feet from the oblique machine. That being said- it's not bad for the price- but no longer my preference.
  • Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Though I don't agree with their "Judgement Free" (ironic?) ads, I have been a member there for a few years now. Some locations are better than others. I recently moved and the one I attend is one of the better ones I have been to. It's a good fit for people beginning their journey to weight loss. Treadmills, ellipticals, and weight machines. PF isn't geared towards people who focus on lifting. I think they have a key demographic, and they serve them well.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't thing PF is that bad....even for a serious bodybuilder who is not on illegal drugs. I'm a natural bodybuilder and was a member of a gym that is similar to PF. It was nice.
    I work out at home now. Power rack and pulley system...I have everything I need. I left chain gyms for many reasons. It's nice not to have to wait for equipment or wioe off someone else's sweat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I really loathe their advertising campaign and the way they position fit people and pit groups against each other and prey upon the fears people have. It's brilliant as a PR campaign, but it's terrible to say yes, that stereotype is real. It's like telling a kid that there really is a monster under the bed.

Saying that, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the place. It's cheap, and convenient, and people can make decent use of it if it meets their particular goals. When I recently had to leave my more expensive gym, I almost got a PF membership just for cardio but we were able to scrape some money together for a home treadmill.

My husband goes there because it's the only nearby gym that has hours that are convenient for him.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really loathe their advertising campaign and the way they position fit people and pit groups against each other and prey upon the fears people have. It's brilliant as a PR campaign, but it's terrible to say yes, that stereotype is real. It's like telling a kid that there really is a monster under the bed.

Saying that, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the place. It's cheap, and convenient, and people can make decent use of it if it meets their particular goals. When I recently had to leave my more expensive gym, I almost got a PF membership just for cardio but we were able to scrape some money together for a home treadmill.

My husband goes there because it's the only nearby gym that has hours that are convenient for him.

Yeah, this is a better way to say what I've been trying to.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I have lived through many of those years striving for equality. What we strived for all those many years ago was the right to choose. That meant if we wanted to go to the gym...we could...any gym including those for women only.

I remember when the Thigh Master came out...Elvis Presley wiggle his hips too much...well...enough of memory lane.

I will say however...I strongly believe that if women can have an all women's gym then men should have that same right.
  • bcchast
    bcchast Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have two gym memberships, one is planet and the other is a "meathead gym" lol. I go to planet for 2 things, cardio and core. The other gym has everything that planet is missing, I don't know why they refuse to have free weights in planet, the facility is really nice and could be a really great gym. But like most "serious gyms" there's almost no cardio equipment, so I keep my planet membership because it's only $10. I find it completely hypocritical that they say judgement free but, they judge you on your size, your workout, your clothes, your noise level, everything. Other than that, whatever, I can't run in the snow, so I go there during the winter, Only! And after fighting 200 people lined up today all waiting for a machine or elliptical or treadmill, I may not go back to planet for about a month if at all. I do find it both rediculous and smart business that they bring you in to lose weight and get in shape but, then they provide candy, donuts, pizza and cookies which just perpetuates most of their clients eating cycles causing them to either give up or keep coming back to lose the same weight all over again. In the end, it is what it is. It's cheap and as long as you don't mind hearing that alarm go off every 20minutes then go for it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The gym i used to go to had a separate weights room upstairs just for women (full of machines), i never saw a single soul in there, the girls were all down stairs in the "proper" gym.

I must admit, i thought about going into the down stairs weights room a few times, but because i had no idea where to start or what to do, i never did. I didn't want to look like an idiot! If i were to rejoin a gym, i think i'd hire a PT first and go when it was empty, just until i knew what i was doing and could blend in with the others.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Former PF member here. The only reason I stopped my membership is because in my last pregnancy I reached a point where I stopped working out. I had been a member for well over a year. I LOVED IT! GREAT hours. Endless cardio machines...I particularly loved the stair master. At one point I started meeting a coworker there before work so I took advantage of the shower and locker. I had the black membership so occasionally I did the chair massages after my workouts. I never caught the pizza nights but I do catch several bagel and coffee mornings.

From a business standpoint, as someone said already, there is a market out there who they are reaching....its cheap, it has the basic stuff, it's 24 hours. Also, depending on your goals you can transform your body ANYWHERE.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I think some missed my point. I wasn't speaking to the results being mediocre. Hell, you can go to a riverbed and move rocks around and build muscle. I was talking specifically about the mindset of the people whom their advertising appeals to. The kind of person who is less likely to be going to the gym to improve themselves, than to shut up a spouse, a doctor, whatever. The "I'm trying" but not really trying crowd.

Way to try and save it. An actual trainer (you aren't one, right?) is telling you you're wrong and still you want to insist that you're right. Ok. Guess I better attention to you because clearly you know more than a professional.