Treats & how to stop at one serving - The Laziness Method

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Might work for some people, like how single serving packages such as the 100kcal oreo works for some.

That doesn't work well for me. If I start on a treat it is hard to stop. I'd get up and go to the cupboard. Again and again. I'd hop in the car and drive to the store if need be. Best not to start at all for me.

I clearly don't have a grasp on this. I don't think I've ever gone to the store to get more of something I was overeating on, exception would be wine:). Bag of chips at home, I can yeah eat the whole bag, cookies in the house yeah I could eat a lot. But starting on a bag of chips or cookies and run out, I'm not getting in the car to go get more.

Thats some strong urges:).

Same. I used to go out in the wee hours of the morning to get single serve items like icecream. I never did go back for seconds.

Did you really drive back for seconds on single serve items? Which ones? @nvmomketo
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Might work for some people, like how single serving packages such as the 100kcal oreo works for some.

That doesn't work well for me. If I start on a treat it is hard to stop. I'd get up and go to the cupboard. Again and again. I'd hop in the car and drive to the store if need be. Best not to start at all for me.

I clearly don't have a grasp on this. I don't think I've ever gone to the store to get more of something I was overeating on, exception would be wine:). Bag of chips at home, I can yeah eat the whole bag, cookies in the house yeah I could eat a lot. But starting on a bag of chips or cookies and run out, I'm not getting in the car to go get more.

I live about 6 doors down from the little convenience store and even I wouldn't bother to go down to get more of something I'm eating but run out of!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I live about 6 doors down from the little convenience store and even I wouldn't bother to go down to get more of something I'm eating but run out of!

I've absolutely done this at one point or another. Driven out to get more or eaten one candy bar in the car and then stopped at the next convenience store for another. It's obviously not very normal, but I believe it is a known behavior when it comes to very strong food issues.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have. I did it while I was low carbing, incidentally. I had a MAD craving for egg salad, and we were out of eggs.

I not only jumped in the car, I had to get the kids ready and go to the store to get eggs.

I bought two dozen and ate the whole batch in one sitting.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    So far, the only thing working is buying single serve things like a candy bar.

Ditto on this. I go to the theatre with a single pack of peanut M&Ms because, no matter what I tell myself and swear, I'll eat that whole giant bag.

Oh. peanut M&M's are kryptonite for me. There is no way I could ever moderate them.

There are some things I'm okay with, and right now I'm struggling with things I've been okay with in the past, and I'm making progress with getting back to moderating them, but I don't think I'll ever be able to moderate those delectable morsels.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    LOL, I use this method ALL the time! It works well, actually.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Ditto on this. I go to the theatre with a single pack of peanut M&Ms because, no matter what I tell myself and swear, I'll eat that whole giant bag.

Oh. peanut M&M's are kryptonite for me. There is no way I could ever moderate them.

There are some things I'm okay with, and right now I'm struggling with things I've been okay with in the past, and I'm making progress with getting back to moderating them, but I don't think I'll ever be able to moderate those delectable morsels.

Omg, mine are those peanut butter M&Ms. I LITerally cannot leave them alone, ever. I don't like to use the term "trigger food" but in this specific case it's probably the most accurate. I had to ban them from the house. Like for forever. :D
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2017
    Options

Omg, mine are those peanut butter M&Ms. I LITerally cannot leave them alone, ever. I don't like to use the term "trigger food" but in this specific case it's probably the most accurate. I had to ban them from the house. Like for forever. :D

I know myself better than to even try those. They introduced them to the market while I was low carbing, so I've never had them.

I have peanut butter ... issues.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can take or leave nut butters, but whole nuts with chocolate, man. Peanut M&Ms, yes, but even more chocolate covered almonds. I know better than to bring more than a serving of those home.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Haha I'd have to walk 3 miles for 10 or so chocolate kisses to spit out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My vet recommended this toy for my cats -- a ball that they play with and if you move it right food comes out of the holes. The idea is that they have to exercise to get food (works only for dry food).

Kind of the same concept!

(I'm also trying to phrase this so it doesn't lend itself to innuendo, but give up.)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just sit down with the tray of cookies or the pie tin... I know I'll go back. Just get it over with.

Although, I'm trying to keep beets and carrots around for idle snacking.

Dh buys the crap food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Same. I used to go out in the wee hours of the morning to get single serve items like icecream. I never did go back for seconds.

Did you really drive back for seconds on single serve items? Which ones? @nvmomketo

It usually wasn't more of the same thing except for more of sugar. I'd have a small bag of jelly beans, finish, try not to think about it, and on occasion drive to the store and get a pop or a bag of chips. It wasn't often but it happened.
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For me, treats that were readily available weren't a good thing. I cut treats "day or meal" out completely and the only treat I gave myself the first year was sushi for my birthday. I knew from the beginning I couldn't have treats too available.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

It usually wasn't more of the same thing except for more of sugar. I'd have a small bag of jelly beans, finish, try not to think about it, and on occasion drive to the store and get a pop or a bag of chips. It wasn't often but it happened.

Oh ok. I was just curious because not having the items in the house is generally intended to help people not eat up an entire (multiple serving) bag of treats. Even going back for one soda after a small bag of jelly beans, to me, would still be quite a bit less food than some of us might otherwise consume if we just sit in the house with the full huge bag.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Oh ok. I was just curious because not having the items in the house is generally intended to help people not eat up an entire (multiple serving) bag of treats. Even going back for one soda after a small bag of jelly beans, to me, would still be quite a bit less food than some of us might otherwise consume if we just sit in the house with the full huge bag.

Oh... I did that too. A family bag of any candy could be demolished in no time. <shudder>
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I wouldn't go to the store, but I do remember trying to portion out a specific food into the serving size, and then just going back to the cupboard to eat all the servings. Certainly made tracking the consumption easy. :D Now it just doesn't come into the house.

Ha, I've done this with cream cheese (of all things lol). I knew how many servings there were and mentally divided them out over the course of several days. And then thought 'screw that, I'll just eat all the servings now because it all evens out anyways' :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I had to come back to this thread, didn't I? Now I want egg salad, but will settle for deviled eggs. I also noticed a pack of carrot muffin mix in my cupboard this morning when I pulled out the pancake mix. I may need to make a dozen muffins tonight. Fortunately, I still have nearly 700 calories for the day!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat ice cream or baked goods if I walked or biked to get there. Since the nearest places I could get them were a couple of miles away, and at the time I was barely active, I didn't have them often. When I got more active, I only allowed myself ice cream or a donut if I had walked or run at least 5 miles that day. It worked. I still got treats, but not too often.