Binge Eating. How do you get past the past?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss I honestly had no idea there was a medication for the disorder! :open_mouth: I'm always hesitant to start any kind of medication after being put on and taken off so many for depression/anxiety issues, but I think it's something to look into and talk to a health professional about. I just never knew that resource was out there.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is not buying food that I may want to binge on. Being a uni student on a budget is probably the only reason I haven't gotten huge so far. I also try to find other ways to cope with stress and frustration as emotional eating is my major issue.
  • Fit_Prit
    Fit_Prit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I don't know if anyone will see this even, or how the notifications work for people that have commented on here. But, if you are reading this, I just wanted to share that today I did something that has needed done for many years. I sat down with my mom...and we just talked. We put aside the emotions and had a nonconfrontational talk. I told her the issues I've accrued surrounding my weight and my binge eating and how they involve her as well in some aspects. And she shared with me the reasons she has done some of the things that have always bothered me. Some things have been simple miscommunications; some have been out of worry; and some were just mistakes. But, I must say it felt like a very healing talk. I hope that this is the first step for me in finding peace with this and also in being able to defeat my disorder. Thanks for listening! I hope you are all doing well and finding the new year to be fresh and exciting.

Hi..
    Thank you for sharing
    I also had some issues with my mother.. & We also had "the talk"
    It gives a different perspective on the situation & help us Understand why the person acted in that way .

Anyhow.. It's really good & we feel Enlighten :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add but just wanted to give you props, OP. Sending healing thoughts your way...
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Struggling with BED & Bulimia as well. I've been on & off for almost 7 years now. Initially I had anorexia from dieting to lose weight and it then quickly turned into bulimia. I've never got diagnosed but I know that's what I have. My husband is the only one that's aware of it but he doesn't understand it completely. He just thinks that I tend to eat a bit too much from time to time.

I don't know when I'm going to be free from this or if that's possible at all but there's always hope! Sorry I didn't give any useful advise but at least you know you're not alone. :smile:
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm so thankful for the continued positive feedback! <3 It definitely helps knowing that others are fighting this as well and that we are all going through success and struggles. I think that's one of the hardest parts of dealing with anything psychological -- depression, anxiety, eating disorders -- is feeling misunderstood. Like even if we do share how we feel, people may think we are crazy or dismiss us altogether. I feel strength in knowing that these feelings are universal and human and that we can all be in it together.

After the talk with my mom, I'm trying to continue in a positive trajectory. I started tracking my calories, something I had stopped for quite a while. I'm just trying not to be too harsh on myself. Instead of having my goal be to lose 2 pounds a week, 1 and a half or even 1 is more manageable for me. I even went on a walk the other day with my mom! We took it slow and she told me to choose the pace and the length we walked. We decided to focus on the crisp air and the way my dog prances like a show horse rather than on burning calories. Small steps! :)