Question for weightlifting women

Options
13»

Replies

• trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    samchez0 wrote: »
    I can't even do one overhead press with an empty bar but I'm still amazing for pushing past my comfort zone and trying. I was honestly terrified of going and being judged by others because I'm sure my form sucks on some things and seriously, I can't even get the empty bar over my head for the overhead press hahaha.

Just as a side point, try push press, instead of overhead press. Overhead press is my weakest lift, but if I do it as push press (google will explain if you don't know what that is), I can easily lift double the weight.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body, how you put on muscle, gain strength, etc. Don't compare yourself to other people, unless you are checking form (even then, maybe not, lol. My brother just hit 583lbs on his deadlift, and he mentions multiple times in his video that his form isn't flawless at those weights). I have had chronic illnesses and disabilities, so in the last two years I've had to restart with bar (or no weight at all) four times so far. When I'm able to progress though, I do very quickly, about 10 lbs a week until I'm in the 100's, then it slows a little. My gym partner has longer limbs than me, and she hasn't gotten further than me even without all the restarts. But, it's still doing good work for both of us and our bodies. Unless you are planning on competing, just focus on doing everything right and add weight as you are able. If you are planning on competing, get a coach :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I didn't even know that bodybuilding and power lifting were as popular as they are. I just wanted to be strong, to have the body I always wanted and to not have to be so hungry all the time. I went from eating 1,000 calories x day and running my butt off for 4-5 years, and finally when I was 95 lbs. and felt like I had "10 more lbs. to lose" that this wasn't the way to a fit body or flat stomach. When I got IG role models (Ana Cheri, Nikki Blackletter and Julia Gilas) I felt like I would never be as fit as them. I kept them on my feed for inspiration, but followed people with transformations that more closely resembled my starting point. I invested in a trainer and nutritionist for a month to get to know the ropes and figure out a system that worked well for me. Keep working at it. Customize your program and your diet for YOU. Now? I can lift more than my "idols" after only a year and a half because I stayed dedicated and I set goals constantly. Remember to never compare your start to someone else's middle. Remember that fitness is an ever-evolving journey and it's about making a maintainable plan, not a short-term goal that you can hit and then will fall off quickly. Take progress pictures, and compare you only to yourself, to YOUR starting point. Surround yourself with motivational people and images to keep you dedicated. Good luck on your journey!