Is bodybuilding vain?

Replies

• Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    I'm already sexy. I just lift to look cool.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Is it vain to want to be the best you can be?
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Depends on the individual. Some do it to look good, some do it to win competitions.On youtube you can see a few vids of people who you would fit into each of these categories and more.

What doesn't help is when you have people who go around loving themselves so much in the mirror because it makes people think everyone in the sport of bodybuilding is vain which is certainly not the case.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Whats ur opinion on bodybuilding? Do you think its a totally vain thing to do?
    Is it a sport of looking better and better and better.
    I started it to get in shape but also to gain strength and be more athletic, not just athletic looking..however I dont strength train so I suppose I am not really getting much stronger?
    I feel accomplished building my body to be more muscular and I do "feel" stronger..Idk what do you think?

It is an individual thing. Some people may do it out of vanity, others may not. It is short sighted to make a generalization about an entire group of people who engage in that activity.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Of course it is
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Yes.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Ropbrall9: Exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    no about a healthy lifestyle

contest prep should totally be taught in nutrition class....
    not sure if u r joking or srs. what people do to their bodies prepping for a show is what should NOT be taught in class

oh that was definitely sarcasm
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    je m'en fiche!

Do what you wanna do!
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    It's as vain as an overweight person trying to lose weight to look better. What's the point here?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    no about a healthy lifestyle

not sure if u r joking or srs. what people do to their bodies prepping for a show is what should NOT be taught in class

oh that was definitely sarcasm

It isn't exactly healthy, contest prep. Cutting body fat super low, doing "water manipulation" whatever. Body building and strength training are related, but not identical.

I wanna be pretty and strong and healthy.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Yes but not always in a bad way.... and you can't assume a body builder is healthy any more than you can assume an overweight person is unhealthy. There are plenty of body builders with unhealthy habits and food issues (and drug issues if you want to go further) just like everyone else. Not knocking it - but not glorifying it either.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    that's the entire point of it.

Not cockiness, but vanity.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    First of all, you look amazing. So jealous!!!!

No weightlifting is awesome. It insures that your muscles don't atrophy as we all get order. It also helps you to stay strong.

The bonus... Muscles look damn great on men and women!!!!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    no its all about a healthy lifestyle

lol.... ya those guys put themselves through hell trying to get so lean
  • I think it's massively vain. I fully admit i'm doing it for the vanity stakes. I want to look better than the average joe in the gym, thats my choice, it's vain yes, but it makes me happy so I can live with that.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Weird question is weird.

I started working out to be healthy...I started bodybuilding to look damn good while getting healthy. It *can* be vain, but since it is great for your health and farking hard work to do it., does it really matter?

Of course we want to look good. What the f*** is wrong with wanting to look good? Just sayin...
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    The main definition of vanity is an excessively high opinion of one's own abilities or appearance.
    Strictly speaking attempting to be better in some way is not necessarily vanity.
    Some body builders may BE vain, but that's not the point. A lot of non-body-builders are vain too.

Of course the second definition of vanity is an effort which has no worthwhile pay-off. So if you don't think either chasing aesthetics, or the strength and body composition changes that will inevitability accompany body building are worthwhile it could reasonably be considered vain.

Personally...yeh I guess it's a little vain. But calling that a reason to object to it seems like kicking a gift horse in the mouth. It encourages people to exercise regularly and eat a healthful diet the majority of the time. Who cares about the details of their motivation?
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    does **** stink?

I'll have you know, my princess pebbles smell of lavender and chamomile and rainbows on a rainy day.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    I think it is. But doesn't matter. As long as you are a good person inside, who cares if you wanna look hot and know it on the outside?