Is bodybuilding vain?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Yes. So what?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Probably. But that doesn't mean it is bad. A little vanity doesn't hurt.

I however am trying to stop focusing on the vanity aspect of lifting just because of the issues it was having on my brain. I don't judge anyone else for it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think it definitely starts from vanity. But, nobody keeps up with it unless they get taken up with the endorphins of exercise, and the routine, and the challenge of lifting ever heavier weights, etc.
    You keep doing it because you like going to the gym . . . you look forward to it.
    Nobody sticks with something so hard just because they like staring at themselves in the mirror.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Yes, it's vain. It's about making yourself look the best you possibly can. Won't stop me trying to build muscles, though.
  • its vain and dumb
    the industry is drugged out
    anyone who competes is on the gear
    its really insane what they put into their body in the name of fitness?
    also the training and diet is horrible
    same bland foods everyday that every bodybuilder complains about eating
    its neither eating to live or living to eat. its just 'well this is what i need to eat to look like that'
    big water jugs. most of us sip water to stay hydrated. they chug it for a desired look.
    doing insane amounts of cardio before a show so you can look ripped for those few hours
    then its time to get chunky and bulk up and redo the entire process
    and for what? its not a career. its not a sport.
    anyone who gets paid for doing it has to dope or someone who does will take their spot
    if there is someone out there who eats a natural diet, doesnt supplement
    and lifts weights and calls themself a bodybuilder, than that is okay
    that seems very unrealistic in this day and age though
    dudes at my gym mess around with all kinds of drugs and theyre just 'dudes at the gym'
    if you want to achieve an unnatural size you have to use unnatural methods
    vanity is nothing. everyone wants to look good in the mirror.
    its what they do to get there that is despicable about bodybuilding
    during the time i wrote someone in the bodybuilding scene probably died of cardiac arrest
  • Depends on the motivation behind it. Mine is to be strong, not just a bag of bones.
  • does **** stink?

I'll have you know, my princess pebbles smell of lavender and chamomile and rainbows on a rainy day.

I s*** diamonds myself...the nerve of some people! -sic-
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    its vain and dumb
    its neither eating to live or living to eat. its just 'well this is what i need to eat to look like that'
    big water jugs. most of us sip water to stay hydrated. they chug it for a desired look.
    doing insane amounts of cardio before a show so you can look ripped for those few hours
    anyone who gets paid for doing it has to dope or someone who does will take their spot
    dudes at my gym mess around with all kinds of drugs and theyre just 'dudes at the gym'
    during the time i wrote someone in the bodybuilding scene probably died of cardiac arrest

Do you even lift bro
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    its vain and dumb

you jelly bro?
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    not if ur dreamer bulking
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Hmmm, I'm gonna say there is a definite vanity factor. And ain't nothin' wrong with a little vanity, imo!
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    its vain and dumb

Instead of dedicating your time being a broscientist, if you put this much efffort into lifting you would realize it can be done without drugs.
  • Mstrine22
    Mstrine22 Posts: 1
    Are kidding? I am a 65 year old female who 3 years ago could hardly walk. I needed my knees replaced but knew I also needed to loose weight. I signed up with a trainer who concentrated on building up the muscles around my knees. She also concentrated on my core for balance and strength. My recovery went well because I was prepared. It gave me back my life.

Yes people can over do and walk around showing off but that does not mean weight training is not important.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Lol.....First of all let's start with the fact that bodybuilding and strength training are not the same thing...
    o'rly
    bench-press.jpg

Ya rly!

All bodybuilders participate in strength training (or should I say, size training), yet not all who strength train are interested in bodybuilding. Analogy: All residents of New Jersey live in the U.S, yet not all residents of the U.S. live in New Jersey.

To reply to you, I could post you pictures of a strongman towing a truck with a rope, a powerlifter deadlifting 700 lbs, a gymnast performing an Iron Cross on the gymnastics rings, or an Olympic weightlifter clean and jerking a huge weight overhead. In all these examples, the athletes are exhibiting a tremendous amount of strength, yet none of them are interested in how their pecs look like in front of a mirror, or in standing on a stage in tiny panties and a fake tan. :tongue:

I don't care if bodybuilding is vain or not, but when we discuss such things, let's not kid ourselves by saying that strength training and bodybuilding is the same concept. :laugh:
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Are kidding? I am a 65 year old female who 3 years ago could hardly walk. I needed my knees replaced but knew I also needed to loose weight. I signed up with a trainer who concentrated on building up the muscles around my knees. She also concentrated on my core for balance and strength. My recovery went well because I was prepared. It gave me back my life.

Yes people can over do and walk around showing off but that does not mean weight training is not important.

You did not participate in bodybuilding. You participated in rehabilitative weight training.
  • nikikeenan
    nikikeenan Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks for everyones responses..Some were pretty cute, some sounded like haters, some were intelligent..All in all, I'm OK with it. I have caught some slack from some friends who think im "obsessed" and or "vain" for being so "dedicated" to my training but bottom-line..I really love lifting, I enjoy the challenge, I like going to the gym, I like studying about fitness and nutrition, I love the progress Ive made in body with lots of hard work and drive..Im totally motivated. Im happy ..so whatevas! oxoxox:flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    It's your life my love... don't be normal. You'll never realize how amazing you really are if you try to hard to be normal.

ROCK THAT ****- and find new friends. I have found as I become more engrained- and dedicated... not obsessed mind you, that my circle of friends reflects that- outside a core group of 2-3 people that are there for WHATEVER... like my absolute besties- my other friends- they shift.

And I'm okay with that- I have very dance and weight training specific friends- because that's what I do. And I"m okay with that- they respect me and my goals and appreciate the hard work I put into both my crafts.

Don't let the haters get you down- only people who don't understand something consider you obsessed... because they just cant' see otherwise.

It's okay. Go on with your bad self :D
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    its vain and dumb

whoa hoa here.... No. For your information. Not everyone who competes is on the sauce. There are natural shows who drug test prior to competition. Training and diet are not all that horrible. It is what you make of it. You do dumb *kitten*, sure, but not every single person does. Deciding to compete has made me healthier than I've ever been in my life.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Lol.....First of all let's start with the fact that bodybuilding and strength training are not the same thing...
    o'rly
    bench-press.jpg

Ya rly!

All bodybuilders participate in strength training (or should I say, size training), yet not all who strength train are interested in bodybuilding. Analogy: All residents of New Jersey live in the U.S, yet not all residents of the U.S. live in New Jersey.

To reply to you, I could post you pictures of a strongman towing a truck with a rope, a powerlifter deadlifting 700 lbs, a gymnast performing an Iron Cross on the gymnastics rings, or an Olympic weightlifter clean and jerking a huge weight overhead. In all these examples, the athletes are exhibiting a tremendous amount of strength, yet none of them are interested in how their pecs look like in front of a mirror, or in standing on a stage in tiny panties and a fake tan. :tongue:

I don't care if bodybuilding is vain or not, but when we discuss such things, let's not kid ourselves by saying that strength training and bodybuilding is the same concept. :laugh:

Right on! That is true. You explained much better than I did earlier. I love lifting weights and getting strong, but I have no desire to be a body builder. (not that there's anything wrong with it, just not my thing)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    yes, but that doesn't mean it has to be a negative thing.
    ^^^This^^^