Peoples opinions on buying Fitbit or not????

Replies

• lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am debating whether to buy a Fitbit charge 2

Or just to save my money and not bother are they good and worth the money or not??

the fitbit doesn't count right you can get 1000s of steps without taking a step in all day
    That's because it's taking in to consideration your BMR. It's why you put your stats in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

What's do you mean you have to put stats in? And what is BMR?? Please
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i found it pointless. counting calories and eating back slightly less than half calories burned per mfp estimates served me better.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    I want it for my steps counter as phone is not accurate enough I want it for the heart rate as interested to know what it is at certain times when I feel sick and I want it for the sleep pattern. Xx

Charge 2 doesn't have the heart rate option, as far as I know. That would be the Charge HR. (Then again, my knowledge might be outdated--I bought my Fitbit about 1.5 years ago).

Personally I absolutely love my Fitbit. :)
  • loobe1066
    loobe1066 Posts: 206 Member
    I got my charge 2 end of October. I love it. I am not a great fitness fan only exercise I get tends to be walking, I love the step challenges they have I like to see how long it takes me to complete the challenge then later see if I can do it in less time
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    I have the HR2 fitbit- Its a Movement tracker and keeps me Motivated I love the challenges. The one thing I really like about it is the app I can look at my activity over the course of a month and see weaknesses in my activity. Wednesday and Saturday were my slower days so I added activities to those days and now average over 17,000 steps ( movement) a day for months at a time. In the summer I average over 20,000 steps a day
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Or just to save my money and not bother are they good and worth the money or not??

the fitbit doesn't count right you can get 1000s of steps without taking a step in all day
    That's because it's taking in to consideration your BMR. It's why you put your stats in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think the poster was confusing steps with calories burned. 2 very different things.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

BASIC METABOLIC RATE- Stats are weight height, goals

• ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They said steps. Nothing to do with BMR. No idea if it is true or not, but if it is showing steps when the person has not taken a step all day, that's an issue.

Mine has never given me extra steps. The only issue with it is it doesn't count steps properly if your arm isn't moving (if you're pushing a stroller or holding a dog leash) When I'm doing those things I put it in my pocket and it's accurate.
  • feroshus
    feroshus Posts: 32 Member
    Many of my friends have them, but I didn't really care to count my steps, so I wasn't interested in getting one. Then I received my Fitbit Charge HR in August as a gift.... and I LOVE it! As previous posters have said, I love getting the buzz at the end of the day when I reach my goal of 11,000 steps. I love seeing all the "green" stats on a good day when I have achieved all goals. When I am close, it motivates me to get moving and reach the goal. I also love how it syncs to MFP. Never thought I would love it so much, but I do.
  • MissConsistency
    MissConsistency Posts: 38 Member
    I have the Blaze. I think it's accurate for steps, but I do not feel it is on my lifts. It does not track the stair master like I thought it would. Also, I found better tracking with my Polar Watch for lifts. FitBit users can feel free to add me.
  • feroshus
    feroshus Posts: 32 Member
    Oh and I also think some people are confused about extra steps - if you just leave your Fitbit on your counter all day, it will still "register" your base calories, like 1500 or so. These are calories, not steps.

It only registers steps (and extra burnt calories) for when you move.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    I don't think it is necessary; however, it can be a really great motivator if you have friends or family members with them. I don't own one, but since my entire family now has them, I'll get them for the social-fitness aspect of it. It's cool to have challenges and to see how others are doing. (I'm also that type of person- I love having lots of friends on MFP. Some people just need to have the app, track their calories and actually dislike the social aspect of it.)
  • TamaraYacoub
    TamaraYacoub Posts: 6 Member
    It's not that important. ..Was excited about it in the beginning but now forget to wear it
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    I personally love mine. I have the surge. I did buy my son the Garmin vivoactive hr for Christmas though and it is a much nicer product than Fitbit in my opinion. I am switching to Garmin either next Christmas or when my surge bites the dust
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    I just got a Charge 2 and I love it.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I had one, it didn't really motivate me. I had a 10,000 step goal. If I was within a few hundred, I would work hard to make it happen. If I was too far off I just blew it off. My husband though loves his! If it is something that will motivate or inspire you, go for it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    It depends on whether you want/need that data. None of my deliberate exercise is step based and at this point I don't need a gadget to give me an estimate of what my energy expenditure is so it would be a waste for me.

For many people it's a good reminder to be more active...it's also an eye opener for many in regards to what their energy expenditure is on a daily basis...it seems to me that a lot of people are often surprised at their energy expenditure and in many cases are expending more energy than they thought.
  • yoyopensioner
    yoyopensioner Posts: 11 Member
    I've had my Blaze since May and used it in conjunction with MFP and have lost 31.5 kgs, so for me it's been brilliant. My daughter thought they were a gimmick and not worth the money but since getting one has found it very good and has also lost a good amount of weight. It depends what you want a tracker for as to whether it is worth it for you. I love being able to make sure I exercise more than I eat and enjoy being able to challenge family and friends to get the most steps. As others have mentioned it might not be totally accurate and maybe there are better trackers available, but the social and support side of it is very motivating.
  • Beautywalk
    Beautywalk Posts: 9 Member
    I love the charge HR for many reasons, and the dashboard report on the fitbit site gives me lots of info. But the one thing that makes it worthwhile for me is the sync with MFP so that it's easy to track my 1,000 cal per day deficit.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I have a One and have found it very helpful, but I lost weight just fine before I got it, too.