Peoples opinions on buying Fitbit or not????

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    edited January 2017
    My opinion: I've bought several Fitbit Zips, and I'm done wasting money on these things.

The wrist-worn trackers may be better, I don't know. But I don't like things on my wrists, so I've bought the Zips. They die fast. After the factory batter dies, all subsequent batteries seem to have about a 1/4 of the lifespan. The last Zip I bought, I started getting email reminders about a "low battery" only a few days after replacing it with a brand new one. In addition, the housing for the Zip is garbage. The end-cap falls off it eventually and then it's a PITA to keep clasping it on and off clothes.

And the thing is... it's just unnecessary. I've bought at least three of them, at $50 a pop. And for what? So I can be exact with the number of steps I'm taking? I've found that without the Fitbit, if I just walk for 30 minutes every day... in addition to my regular weightlifting routine, I get the same results.

I'm of the mind now that these pedometers are just a money grab by companies preying on people's need for confirmation.

We all know how to walk, and for how long we should be walking. Just go walk. Save the money for something fun.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    I just brought a fitbit flex 2 with Christmas money
    It's waterproof and I swim a lot as well as other exercise so that's a big bonus.
    I struggled with it at first but now I use it to be more accurate with exercise calories as I think I was putting too much for exercise.
    You can add friends on there too and compete which is fun
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I have a Charge 2; it indeed has a HRM. I had the Charge HR for over a year before I upgraded. I love mine. I don't get the crazy amounts of false steps some people claim to get nor do I receive the grossly overestimated TDEE that some people claim to receive. It got me from 139 pounds down to 107 pounds, back up to 118 after a much needed bulk, and back down to 113 where I am now. I don't need it, no, but I have it, I enjoy using it, and it keeps me motivated.

I'm beginning to think I need an upgrade! ;) I love the fact that another poster mentioned the band can be changed, that's been a major drawback with the Charge HR, the band starts to peel off after a few months. My husband's Fitbit is holding together with a ton of Gorilla glue and a few prayers. :D Mine is starting to peel now as well. :neutral:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I got the charge 2 for Christmas and it's so much better than my old One! Hated having to clip the thing somewhere. It is inaccurate for stationary bike unfortunately so I have to add that manually (highly doubt I only burn 50 calories in 20 minutes, lol), but otherwise, really nice. The heart rate tracking really doesn't seem off much at all otherwise. And I got two new wristbands for it.

It definitely motivates you to move more though when you realize that a few more steps can help you burn more calories for the day easily! It made me realize that I can burn as many calories during an active day on my feet than just going to the gym for 1.5 hour and lazying all day, for example... and that my TDEE on active days is higher than I thought (and on lazy days much lower than I thought, so I got to limit those).
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2017
    In the summer I average over 20,000 steps a day

20,000 steps a day ? 20,000 steps for me is just over 11 miles. Now I'm an avid walker, on average I walk 5 to 7 miles 3 to 4 times a week. Now I've done 12 and 13-mile hikes but they always result in excessive fatigue and recovery times. I'm not an old man but I couldn't imagine walking 20,000 steps every single day at least not at any reasonably useful pace.

I'm not talking leisurely walks either I'm talking maintaining a heart rate in the 70 percent of max range. I'm not sure walking a leisurely 5-11 miles with a heart rate just above resting actually accomplishes much than wear and tear on your joints. By the way, I use a Polar heart rate monitor for feedback but It's completely unnecessary.

I've lost a total of 110 pounds so by this point I can easily judge my exertion level. My basic rule of thumb is, If I can easily hold a conversation while walking then I know I'm not exerting myself anywhere near hard enough to do much good.

For example yesterday I walked just about 4.5 miles and burned over 700 calories while maintaining an average heart rate of just about 130. The day before my German Shepherd and I went on a 6-mile hike and burned over 900 calories. Today is a rest and recovery day.

Anyhow, that's the issue I have with devices such as the Fitbit. They tend to make people obsess over attaining a raw number rather than focusing on an effectively balanced exercise routine which is a combination of both exertion and duration. I find this obsession over attaining a single raw number to be more problematic with people who suffer from some form of OCD.

I have a close friend who got herself a Fitbit. She suffers from OCD, She would literally walk in circles around her living room at a pace that was reminiscent of an 8-year-old being forced to walk to Sunday school simply to build the numbers up on her Fitbit yet couldn't figure out why she wasn't losing any weight. She wouldn't walk with me because she said I walked to fast and that she didn't like to get sweaty.

My point is 20,000 steps every day if done at any reasonably beneficial or useful heart rate seems like an awful lot. You could be doing more damage to your joints and soft tissue than you would otherwise be doing with shorter more intense routines. My mom was a waitress for over 20 years and I know she easily walked more than 20,000 steps a day, The end result was varicose veins, arthritis in both ankles and both knees finally cumulating in both hip and knee replacement surgeries. Obviously, more isn't necessarily better.

• joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    I had one for my birthday in October and set myself a daily target of 10,000 steps which I have kept. It has been a fun way to get motivated towards being active, an extra incentive. I run, walk, do step aerobics etc which all count. For cycling, it is not so good because it tallies up steps
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    In the summer I average over 20,000 steps a day

20,000 steps a day ? 20,000 steps for me is just over 11 miles. Now I'm an avid walker, on average I walk 5 to 7 miles 3 to 4 times a week. Now I've done 12 and 13-mile hikes but they always result in excessive fatigue and recovery times. I'm not an old man but I couldn't imagine walking 20,000 steps every single day at least not at any reasonably useful pace.

I'm not talking leisurely walks either I'm talking maintaining a heart rate in the 70 percent of max range. I'm not sure walking a leisurely 5-11 miles with a heart rate just above resting actually accomplishes much than wear and tear on your joints. By the way, I use a Polar heart rate monitor for feedback but It's completely unnecessary.

I've lost a total of 110 pounds so by this point I can easily judge my exertion level. My basic rule of thumb is, If I can easily hold a conversation while walking then I know I'm not exerting myself anywhere near hard enough to do much good.

For example yesterday I walked just about 4.5 miles and burned over 700 calories while maintaining an average heart rate of just about 130. The day before my German Shepherd and I went on a 6-mile hike and burned over 900 calories. Today is a rest and recovery day.

Anyhow, that's the issue I have with devices such as the Fitbit. They tend to make people obsess over attaining a raw number rather than focusing on an effectively balanced exercise routine which is a combination of both exertion and duration. I find this obsession over attaining a single raw number to be more problematic with people who suffer from some form of OCD.

I have a close friend who got herself a Fitbit. She suffers from OCD, She would literally walk in circles around her living room at a pace that was reminiscent of an 8-year-old being forced to walk to Sunday school simply to build the numbers up on her Fitbit yet couldn't figure out why she wasn't losing any weight. She wouldn't walk with me because she said I walked to fast and that she didn't like to get sweaty.

My point is 20,000 steps every day if done at any reasonably beneficial or useful heart rate seems like an awful lot. You could be doing more damage to your joints and soft tissue than you would otherwise be doing with shorter more intense routines. My mom was a waitress for over 20 years and I know she easily walked more than 20,000 steps a day, The end result was varicose veins, arthritis in both ankles and both knees finally cumulating in both hip and knee replacement surgeries. Obviously, more isn't necessarily better.

Maybe the person you quoted is in the service industry. Just saying.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I love mine that I received for Christmas last year, as it helped me to be more aware of where my body and I are at. Everyone is different, and everyone's goals are different. During this year. I've increased my average sleep from 5 hours to 7 hours...I've also increased my activity level from sedentary to lightly active, then up to active....I'd never NOT have one now.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    I find having one is a lot of fun. I also have the Aria scale and I use my Fitbit to track my sleep too. I find it very motivating.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I personally love mine. It was great to finally find out my true TDEE (all online calculators were around 100 cals off), plus, sometimes I am in a competitive mood and try and outdo the number of steps from the previous day. I also like knowing how many cals I've burned during cardio (even though I personally halve the calories).
    I have the Blaze. I think it's accurate for steps, but I do not feel it is on my lifts. It does not track the stair master like I thought it would. Also, I found better tracking with my Polar Watch for lifts. FitBit users can feel free to add me.

Yeah, but lifting burns hardly any calories at all. I don't even both tracking lifting cals even though I lift for an hour or so.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    I wore Fitbit hr for most of last yr and I loved it. I just purchased hr 2 because I want to lose some more weight ... it helps a lot
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member

I have several friends who own restaurants. Last year two them gave Fitbit's to all their waitress's. Some of those girls walk in excess of 20,000 steps a day. What's amazing is many of them are still considered medically obese, Yet they're walking 20K ++ steps a day and always on a diet.

The problem is intensity. if you don't break a sweat and your heart rate doesn't rise much above resting rate then you aren't really accomplishing much more than stretching your muscles and wearing out your joints.

I know many who claim that walking 2 miles is no different than running two miles. My observations of nearly 40 years don't concur. Prior to my knee injury, I could easily run a 5k. After my injury, I was lucky if I could walk to the bathroom.

I gained nearly 110 pounds after my injury and It took years to get to the point where I could even walk a mile, eventually, that turned into jogging a mile.

The weight came off substantially faster Jogging a single mile every morning then it did when I was walking 5 miles a day.

Jogging and the higher sustained heart rate and fitness level that goes along with it substantially increases your resting metabolic rate. The end result is you burn more calories throughout the day including while resting than you would if you were only walking that same mile every day.

In simple terms, there is more to weight loss than simple calories burned during an exercise or steps taken during the day. Exertion level and duration directly impact fitness level and fitness level directly impact resting metabolic rate.

Unfortunately, due to another injury unrelated to jogging, I gained about 60 pounds back after losing 110 so I'm back to walking. I won't be able to jog again until I lose another 30 pounds, it's just to much stress on my knee. But walking 5 to 7 miles 3-5 times a week at a good brisk pace which keeps my heart rate in the 70 percent zone is helping me lose 3-4 pounds a week.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Sweating is just a cooling factor it is not indicative of how hard you work out. I have a friend who kills it in the gym but hardly ever sweats
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    I love my Fitbit Alta. The calorie burn number is always accurate for me and I have lost consistently. I'm not very fond of the issues I've had with the Fitbit Aria scale. Im having to send mine back for a replacement already and it's only been 3 months since I got it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Sweating is just a cooling factor it is not indicative of how hard you work out. I have a friend who kills it in the gym but hardly ever sweats

QFT. I hardly ever sweat. Even in the heat.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I use an Apple Watch, but regardless of what you choose, a tracker can be a big motivator in being more active. Do it!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

I have several friends who own restaurants. Last year two them gave Fitbit's to all their waitress's. Some of those girls walk in excess of 20,000 steps a day. What's amazing is many of them are still considered medically obese, Yet they're walking 20K ++ steps a day and always on a diet.

The problem is intensity. if you don't break a sweat and your heart rate doesn't rise much above resting rate then you aren't really accomplishing much more than stretching your muscles and wearing out your joints.

I know many who claim that walking 2 miles is no different than running two miles. My observations of nearly 40 years don't concur. Prior to my knee injury, I could easily run a 5k. After my injury, I was lucky if I could walk to the bathroom.

I gained nearly 110 pounds after my injury and It took years to get to the point where I could even walk a mile, eventually, that turned into jogging a mile.

The weight came off substantially faster Jogging a single mile every morning then it did when I was walking 5 miles a day.

Jogging and the higher sustained heart rate and fitness level that goes along with it substantially increases your resting metabolic rate. The end result is you burn more calories throughout the day including while resting than you would if you were only walking that same mile every day.

In simple terms, there is more to weight loss than simple calories burned during an exercise or steps taken during the day. Exertion level and duration directly impact fitness level and fitness level directly impact resting metabolic rate.

Unfortunately, due to another injury unrelated to jogging, I gained about 60 pounds back after losing 110 so I'm back to walking. I won't be able to jog again until I lose another 30 pounds, it's just to much stress on my knee. But walking 5 to 7 miles 3-5 times a week at a good brisk pace which keeps my heart rate in the 70 percent zone is helping me lose 3-4 pounds a week.

Yeah... no. They are still big because they eat too many calories. Period.