Make your goals simple - be here 6 weeks from now showing a weight loss & you will probably succeed

Options
So many people flame out and quit because they do too much too fast. Like:
  1. Immediately switches to a stupid-low calorie intake
  2. Immediately begins a stupid-intense exercise regime
  3. Both 1 & 2 combined

Most do this because they want fast results, NOW! This often results in failure. Case in point, I picked a random day back in April 2016 and a random "find new friends" page. There were 29 peeps on that page - only 4 were still active. That's right, only 4. YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF THE 4.

Make your goals manageable:
  1. Track your calories for a week.
  2. Reduce your calories by a reasonable amount this week.
  3. Lose a little weight this week
  4. Exercise a little this week (you will be sore - guaranteed!)
  5. Repeat 5 more times

If you are still here 6 weeks from now, I think you will be one of the 4 successful people out of the 29 on your page. And, most importantly, 6 weeks from now you will:
  1. be able to calculate many food items calories in your head
  2. you will have found some great low calorie tasty recipes that are filling too
  3. you will feel better than you have in a long time
  4. you will be doing things you have not been able to do in long time.

Best wishes and good luck!

Replies

• rosalie115
    rosalie115 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Simple, right?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    FB_IMG_1440803945039.jpg?fit=480%2C552
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    sounds about right
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Good points! People do need to realize that losing weight does not need to include any suffering and that sustainable goals are much better for them. Yeah. Those noob discussion threads are so sad. When I first joined the MFP community, I was excited to add friends, but after seeing just how few newcomers stuck around, I trimmed my friend list, and I now carefully accept new friend requests.
  • nyctina
    nyctina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    After trying and essentially giving up last summer due to 2 jobs and family stuff I'm back now and while I have a ways to go I'm taking it one day at a time. That's the best I can do. If I think about all the weight I want to lose I can get discouraged. As long as I lose something each week, that'll work for me (& I plan to stick with it on those few weeks I may not lose either)
  • 2loosegoose
    2loosegoose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are so right!
  • loobe1066
    loobe1066 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Most people forget the excess weight they want to lose took months if not years to gain so it won't come off overnight.
    I have lost some weight and have another 50-60lbs to lose. Instead of thing about the total amount of weight I need to lose which is a daunting thought. I worked out what 5% of my start weight was and use that as my mini goals. I aim to keep doing that until I have lost 30-35% of my start weight. I have no hard and fast time limits
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So many people flame out and quit because they do too much too fast. Like:
    1. Immediately switches to a stupid-low calorie intake
    2. Immediately begins a stupid-intense exercise regime
    3. Both 1 & 2 combined

Most do this because they want fast results, NOW! This often results in failure. Case in point, I picked a random day back in April 2016 and a random "find new friends" page. There were 29 peeps on that page - only 4 were still active. That's right, only 4. YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF THE 4.

Make your goals manageable:
    1. Track your calories for a week.
    2. Reduce your calories by a reasonable amount this week.
    3. Lose a little weight this week
    4. Exercise a little this week (you will be sore - guaranteed!)
    5. Repeat 5 more times

If you are still here 6 weeks from now, I think you will be one of the 4 successful people out of the 29 on your page. And, most importantly, 6 weeks from now you will:
    1. be able to calculate many food items calories in your head
    2. you will have found some great low calorie tasty recipes that are filling too
    3. you will feel better than you have in a long time
    4. you will be doing things you have not been able to do in long time.

Best wishes and good luck!

Agreed....

You must attainable goals with weight loss. You cannot change a decade of bad behaviors in one day, it takes time.

Follow this outline and you'll be where you want to be soon enough.

• torievazerr
    torievazerr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm really kicking myself. I lost 25 pounds in 6 week 3 years ago and didn't stick to the plan after due to some work issues. Now I'm starting all over again. But the good thing I can say is that this was very successful for me. Just the counting of carbs for me helped with the pounds and they seemed to melt off.