Does losing weight make you look older?

Options
I hear a lot of people say that they think losing weight makes a person look older. I don't necessarily agree. What do you think?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I've heard people say just the opposite, actually.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I look about a year older than I did a year ago when I got serious about losing weight. It's uncanny.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately look older i think...or at least my age
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It can, especially if it's a lot of weight and you're older already. Because fat makes your face look younger - kinda puffs out the wrinkles. And if you lose weight your skin sags. Again, it would depend on how old you are to begin with and how much weight you lose.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think losing weight makes you look younger.
  • tonymyers55
    tonymyers55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe it depends on how you lose the weight. If it’s through exercise and good nutrition your will probably look younger. If it’s through starvation dieting, then you will probably look much older.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have noticed is that my neck has wrinkles now (where there used to be fat filling it up into a double chin, which is gone now). My face has more wrinkles from the same thing, the fat that was filling them up is gone.

But I don't care, I have went from a size 14/16 to a 6/8 and I love that.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    People generally thnk I am younger than I am. I've shown before/during pics and receive comments saying I look younger now. One possibility though is that as you lose weight you get more active. This usually means being out in the sun more often so the sun and wind, etc may cause more wear and tear.
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It has helped me look a lot younger.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I think my face looks older but my body looks younger. I'll take it.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I personally look younger. Apparently can now pass as 21 again. lol I'm 28 and one of my customers at work asked me if I was turning 21 this year. I laughed and told him my real age and he didn't believe me.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It does make some look older. I think it depends on your skin elasticity. As I approach 40, I see my skin sagging more and I am sure losing the weight is going to exacerbate the issue.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Being old makes me look older.

When I lost my collection of chins I did end with my uber sexy turkey neck. :laugh:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    honestly yes, every single person I knew who has lost weight looks older at least in the face, their body may look so much better
    but losing the fat in their face ages them pretty clearly and for some its not a pretty look, adds like a decade to their face.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think for most folks they'll end up looking younger. Just scan through the before and after pics on the success stores board!

Overall, I think I look younger. The only exceptions are the little things that I'm sure only I notice like my laugh lines (eyes and mouth) being more obvious now that my face skin isn't all filled in with fat. Not to meantion a little bit of a turkey waddle. But you know what? I'm totally cool with it. I still have no gray hair and I am far more healthy now than I was 3.5 years ago (hell, I think I'm healthier than I was as a teenager even) so I'll take the stretch marks, loose skin and crows feet all the way!
  • minijag06
    minijag06 Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree! Wrinkles are filled in when you're fat. I've dropped 37 lbs and boom! Wrinkles!!!! - but I do have a younger looking body. I guess you can't have it all!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    some times.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It can, especially if it's a lot of weight and you're older already. Because fat makes your face look younger - kinda puffs out the wrinkles. And if you lose weight your skin sags. Again, it would depend on how old you are to begin with and how much weight you lose.

^^^ this!
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends, for me I think once my face starts thinning out, it makes me look a bit younger
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I've heard people say just the opposite, actually.

yup. I've never heard of it making someone look older.