Does losing weight make you look older?

Options

Replies

• Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I've heard people say just the opposite, actually.

Ditto....

Everyone tells me I look younger now...I certainly feel younger....

Before:
    DSC02328.jpg

Not completely after, but my most recent from March:
    20130425_181051.jpg

definitely look younger and stronger, good job
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking on older people a bit of fat tends to make them look slightly younger, on young people fat makes them look slightly older. It doesn't have an appreciable difference in most and the improvement in appearance in general tends to make up for it several times over.

A beard on a man ages you far more than any amount of weight could ever.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    a general rule could be this:

20's & 30's year olds = yes, you'll look younger

50's & 60's year olds = no, you're not going look any younger, you'll just look your age

40's year olds = could go either way, based on environmental and genetic factors

at the end of the day, what's the alternative, staying fat?

i suppose once goal weight is achieved and you look a bit seasoned, you can put back on 10 lbs to give you a more plump look
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Ditto....

Before:
    DSC02328.jpg

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-70bsp-oSsE E/UehR73ISGuI/AAAAAAAAB5I/B9sHFNvSAow/s288/20130425_181051.jpg[/img]

I hope this doesn't offend you, but to me you look older in the after photo. Much more attractive and healthy, but a few years older.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It depends!! A lot can depend on your skin care regimen... also if you yo-yo dieted. Use sunscreen friends! The girls I know in high school who tanned and burned too often have very wrinkly skin now, even if they gained weight.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No it actually makes you look healthier, and feel better. Ppl have their own judgement
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think it makes people look younger.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I disagree as well, well maybe not disagree but it def depends on the person. For me, loosing weight has made me look younger, a lot younger. I am 29, when I was bigger (200+lbs), people thought I was approaching my 40s; now I am lucky to get 18! Its ok, the older I get the younger I want to look :D
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Ditto....

Before:
    DSC02328.jpg

20130425_181051.jpg

You look great, but your face wasn't that "round and plump" to begin with. I feel it happens more to those who lose like 100lbs +.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    The opposite...you can look my pictures - current one is when I was 20 and all the others are from the last 2 months...
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of people say that they think losing weight makes a person look older. I don't necessarily agree. What do you think?

Typically the answer is no, a person almost always looks younger. But if a person is overweight enough and has the issue of extra skin, as they lose weight, the skin can sag even more, which can cause that person to look older.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I've lost 71 lbs and got carded for liquor the other day. That hasn't happened in years. :) He acted like he really thought I was too young to buy. :drinker:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    In my case I'm afraid it does, as my face has more fine wrinkles. :( I've lost 21 lbs., not that much, but I'm 64, so....
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It can, especially if it's a lot of weight and you're older already. Because fat makes your face look younger - kinda puffs out the wrinkles. And if you lose weight your skin sags. Again, it would depend on how old you are to begin with and how much weight you lose.

THIS^
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight super fast, skin can become sort of loose, and loose skin is associated with aging.

And, when you lose weight, creases reappear in the facial area.

But like others have said, overall, losing weight tends to peel back the years.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

Ditto....

Before:
    DSC02328.jpg

20130425_181051.jpg

You look great, but your face wasn't that "round and plump" to begin with. I feel it happens more to those who lose like 100lbs +.

No offense, but I prefer the before photo. Mostly because of the shaved head. EVERY guy looks older bald .Other than the lack of hair, you look great.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For me, it did but it is what it is.

Once I lost the weight in the face, my wrinkles were definitely more prominent.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm told I look tons younger compared to a year ago, mostly physique changes but losing chubby cheeks and double chin has helped.

I'm still 20% body fat which probably contributes to not looking gaunt!!

(I'm 53 by the way.)
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Nigella Lawson said she keeps a little extra weight to make her face look younger. She is in her 50's, and she looks stunning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Ditto....

Before:
    DSC02328.jpg

20130425_181051.jpg

Mine was 40 Lbs...mostly in my gut and around my chest and shoulders...had just started really creeping into my face. I have pics with my head shaved and I'm bigger and my face looks a bit plumper in those.