What woe (way of eating) do you follow?

Options

Replies

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    95% Plant-based. High Carb, Low Fat. Mostly whole foods. A little bit of junk (sweets). Plus exercise. Equals 152 lbs to 115 lbs.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I eat all the food I like but fit it into my calorie goals. Yup, includes my favourite fast foods, chocolate, ice cream, lollies, whatever, I just wriggle things around so they fit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For weight loss/maintenance I counted calories (and am starting that again) and just ate mindfully when no longer counting. For health I have my own ideas of how to eat in a nutritious way that works for me, but that's separate from weight loss. I wouldn't call either a "woe," that seems kind of fancying it up.

Probably the things I do that support nutrition for me ALSO help me not eat to excess (but same with other things, like exercise), but they are distinct. I ate in a similar, healthy fashion when it came to food choice when getting fat, just too much.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Punch your stats into MFP and follow what it says. Tracking and logging is the first and most important step. From there, adjust accordingly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    Maximizing a balance of tastiness, nutrition, and satiation by:
    1. Logging food & reviewing my diary regularly;
    2. Identifying foods that "cost" me calories too high for their value in taste, nutrition, or filling-ness; and
    3. Reducing or eliminating those foods, replacing them with other foods I truly enjoy, but which better help me meet my goals.
    . . . while sticking to a reasonable calorie deficit the overwhelming majority of the time (but not always, 'cause celebrations!).

Worked Just Swell, while losing 63 pounds in 10-11 months as a 59/60 y/o hypothyroid woman. Been maintaining for around a year, just about the same way - though less need to review diary now, after lots of practice.

(P.S. I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, and have been since 1974 - yup, 43 years. That had nothing to do with my weight loss. Was thin, gained steadily for a couple decades, stayed obese for a couple decades, lost weight, am again thin - all as a vegetarian. Irrelevant.)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    When I am tying to lose weight I eat foods I like within my calorie goal.

I do love veggies so it is easy for me to go a little heavier on the lower calorie veggies and a little lighter on high calorie items - without sacrificing keeping my belly full. There are a couple of other easy swaps I made to save calories: 100 calorie sandwich flats, replacing mustard/hot sauce with mayo, skip the butter on veggies - use salt, pepper, chili pepper, hot sauce, balsamic vinegar. Small changes can be painless and tasty! And they can really add up throughout your day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ^^^This.

Start out with eating the things you like. After a while you will learn what helps keep you full and what is only worth eating once in awhile. Obviously paying attention to an overall balanced nutritious diet.

It's been said the best "diet" is the one you can stick to:).

I've seen that bolded quote many times. I know what it means but a small part of me always insists that I was great at eating my old, nutrition poor diet. I ate a lot, gained weight... I was really good at it. ;)
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Find what makes me feel the most full for the least calories. :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ^^^This.

Start out with eating the things you like. After a while you will learn what helps keep you full and what is only worth eating once in awhile. Obviously paying attention to an overall balanced nutritious diet.

It's been said the best "diet" is the one you can stick to:).

I've seen that bolded quote many times. I know what it means but a small part of me always insists that I was great at eating my old, nutrition poor diet. I ate a lot, gained weight... I was really good at it. ;)

HA! I was pretty good at an overeating diet too!

Hopefully OP knows I mean a calorie restrictive diet:).
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF. Lost 50 lbs and have kept it off for three years running. It also morphed into IF (16:8). I never was much of a breakfast person, and I find LC filling enough that I just eat two large meals, and occasionally a small snack. But if you are just starting out, simply logging what you normally eat for a couple weeks will help you see where you can reasonably cut back, what, if anything, you are lacking, and give you a sense of what eating style might work best for you.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I eat according to my goals.. but I don't cut anything out. I don't log but I add an extra snack and portions if I am bulking and less if cutting.
  • CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat a mainly plant based diet. For proteins I eat beans, nuts, quinoa, tofu and occasionally fish (said it was mainly plant based). Still I count my calories. Eating a vegetarian style diet does not equate to weight loss and can in fact be a source of weight gain if you rely to heavily on pastas, grains and dairy (cheese if the worst).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I did an overhaul. I didn't know how to eat "well", and didn't know how to cook. I lived on crap. So I did lots of research, and figured out how to fuel my body. That meant learning about vegetables, nuts and seeds, legumes, whole grains etc, and things like avocados. It meant learning about macros and micros. It meant learning how to cook. So I did.
    I lost all my weight between January and May 2002 (or 2003), and have kept it off since by focusing on the same principles: whole foods, mostly plants, and limiting refined carbs, junky snack foods etc.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I eat a diet with a variety of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. I do follow my protein intake, aiming for about 20% , because I tend to drop below if I'm not conscious about it. I also make sure I keep my fiber at or above 25g/day because without specifically tracking that I was only getting about 50% of the RDA.

Other than that, I just eat mostly what I've always eaten or what I want to eat. No special diet. It keeps things pretty simple. If I had to say I followed a diet I'd call it the "brutal honestly diet".. that is, I'm completely honest about what I eat and weigh everything.
  • kenopi
    kenopi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My round 1 of weight loss 3 1/2 years ago. I would log all my food in this app. The first week showed me what I was eating was too much food. Or, having a Wendy's bacon cheeseburger, for lunch, would make me have to have a small dinner, if I wanted to lose the weight. I would cheat on some of the meals on the weekends. I would have biscuits and gravy with bacon, eggs, pancakes for breakfast or a frozen pizza for lunch. Weekdays, I would go back to following the calories the app said to consume.
    So at 40, I was 6'1" 275 lbs. A lover of beer. When I drink, I eat like crap. Eating fast food, bar food and large quantities of it. I quit the beer and did what I said above. I lost 60 lbs in 5 months by eating whatever, but not going over my daily calories during the week, cheating on the weekends, and walking, what seemed like, a million miles with the dog. I have a highly energetic hound/husky mix. If I didn't tire him out, he would chew up my house. People who haven't seen me in a long time thought I was sick :D . (I was 305 lbs at my heaviest) I did get down to 205 lbs a few months after that.
    I found the love of beer again :o this last year, bought a house with a fenced in yard (not walking the dog as much) and the weight crept back up. I'm at 248 lbs and I am damned if I am going to buy bigger clothes again. So......
    Round 2 started yesterday. I plan on doing the same as I did last time. Possibly add some weights into the routine.

Good luck to all this year
  • LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Counting calories to keep within my allocated amount. I pretty much don't cut anything out, I just limit to days that I have a little extra wiggle room. I do have subscription meal boxes from Hello Fresh, so we pick what sounds good each week. This means that we do eat one vegetarian meal most weeks.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    LCHF (low carb high fat) for a little over a year because sugar is my downfall and there is really no 'moderation' for me with sweets. Eating more fat and cutting out most processed stuff works for me. :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I put food in my mouth. And i eat it. -shrugs- Specific ways of eating are all just to help you hit your calorie needs. I generally just eat a big lunch a medium dinner and a snack or 2. If i want a third meal ill go walking a bit. Nothing complicated XD