Garmin and TDEE problems

Options
13»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Maggieba wrote: »
    I got the Vivosmart HR for Christmas and have worn it consistently. I've noticed my burn is significantly different when I "log" an activity vs when I don't. For instance, I used the "other"workout setting to track a lifting session followed up with 15 minutes of HIIT. That day I hit 7800 steps. My activity burn was 750 calories. I did essentially the same workout a couple days later but didn't use the tracking function. Overall steps 8200. Activity burn 370 calories.

I've been weighing and consistently logging food for a few weeks and just connected my Garmin with MFP. I'm nursing and keeping my calories at 2000. At the end of the month, I'll go back and see if my Garmin burn cals were accurate=weight loss.

You can't use the activities on the VSHR or it will double count the calories. See https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?331937-Vivosmart-double-counting-activities-calories-during-activities!&highlight=activity

It's a known problem Garmin hasn't fixed in over a year. It's also the reason I no longer use mine.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think it is interesting to see how many calories a device says I'm burning, but I assume that every device is wrong. I adjust my calories based on the bathroom scale. If my weight is climbing then I reduce calories. If my weight is declining then I increase calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR was amazingly accurate for me. I ate back 100% of my exercise calories (about 20,000 steps a day) for 8 months and maintained my goal weight.

I got a Garmin Forerunner 225 in December, and it is fine at calculating my Activity calories (e.g. runs).

But Garmin gives me only 30-50% of calories for steps (other than those burned running) than it should.

I've been asking all over the place about this, and no-one has an answer.

• ehaleyhoward2778
    ehaleyhoward2778 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I got the Vivosmart HR for Christmas and have worn it consistently. I've noticed my burn is significantly different when I "log" an activity vs when I don't. For instance, I used the "other"workout setting to track a lifting session followed up with 15 minutes of HIIT. That day I hit 7800 steps. My activity burn was 750 calories. I did essentially the same workout a couple days later but didn't use the tracking function. Overall steps 8200. Activity burn 370 calories.

I've been weighing and consistently logging food for a few weeks and just connected my Garmin with MFP. I'm nursing and keeping my calories at 2000. At the end of the month, I'll go back and see if my Garmin burn cals were accurate=weight loss.

You can't use the activities on the VSHR or it will double count the calories. See https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?331937-Vivosmart-double-counting-activities-calories-during-activities!&highlight=activity

It's a known problem Garmin hasn't fixed in over a year. It's also the reason I no longer use mine.

Does it double count them on its daily burn estimates? Or are you saying it gives you calories back for the workout plus calories back for the step adjustment? Because mine never gives me a step adjustment. It always says 0 even if I'm over 15k steps. But there's no way mine double counts tracked exercise. That would mean on a day it says 1750 (total burned) and I did 200 calories worth of working out plus over 10k steps, I only burned 1550 calories. Which would be a pretty low TDEE for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Does it double count them on its daily burn estimates? Or are you saying it gives you calories back for the workout plus calories back for the step adjustment? Because mine never gives me a step adjustment. It always says 0 even if I'm over 15k steps. But there's no way mine double counts tracked exercise. That would mean on a day it says 1750 (total burned) and I did 200 calories worth of working out plus over 10k steps, I only burned 1550 calories. Which would be a pretty low TDEE for me.

That is what mine did. 35 Mins on the treadmill (walking) and I ended up with ~600 cals from it. Sounds like yours is doing something different.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

That makes perfect sense. How else would it know you're lifting weights unless you tell it?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

This happens to me, too. 15,000 steps in a day and i have no calorie adjustment for them in MFP after I enter in my evening yoga class (I don't wear it now during yoga, but it did the same thing when I did wear it). I don't know if it's a Garmin thing, a MFP thing or something weird happening between the two. Haven't cared enough to unlink them and find out. So I don't freak out if I go over in calories. I'm in maintenance and I'm m maintaining so something's working.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Fitbit Charge HR was amazingly accurate for me. I ate back 100% of my exercise calories (about 20,000 steps a day) for 8 months and maintained my goal weight.

I got a Garmin Forerunner 225 in December, and it is fine at calculating my Activity calories (e.g. runs).

But Garmin gives me only 30-50% of calories for steps (other than those burned running) than it should.

Exactly same experience, end up returning garmin due to this issue.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I went trail running on Sat. with my Garmin Fenix 3 HR. While some may think the Garmin comes in low on calories, my workout syncs with Strava. Strava seems to calculate calorie burn independently, but using the data it got from Garmin (HR, distance, time, elevation change). Garmin figured 1,601 calories while Strava figured 1,311 calories burned during the same time period. That's 290 calories and around 20% (more or less, depending on which you use as the base).

I'm aware that one may question whether the wrist-based HR is the best (as compared to the chest strap I don't have), and one may argue that the Garmin is not idea for trail running (as compared to a running power meter that I don't have); the fact is still that the data used to calculate calorie burn is the same in both programs. Even if the starting data is wrong, it is at least consistent across both platforms.

If Garmin is calculating too low, then Strava must calculate extremely low on calorie burn.

*Note: 290 calories would be about twice my RMR during that time period, so even if Garmin includes that and Strava doesn't, then Garmin is still estimating higher than Strava.

Strava always estimates higher for me than Garmin for the same data. Just checked, and my weight was a few pounds higher in strava (I just updated it)..so that might be some of the difference in my case.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    before my fitbit, i used a chest strap HR monitor, and my fitbit comes really close to what my chest strap did, it actually reads i burn a little less then what my chest strap would read.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

Exactly same experience, end up returning garmin due to this issue.

Thanks, good to know it's not just an isolated issue.

I love the Garmin's functionality for running. It's great for that.

But calorie counting, not so much.

Thinking of getting a Fitbit Charge 2 to wear on my other arm. Is that too OCD? :smiley:
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I wish companies like Garmin would allow custom BMR entries if you go by bf% or have a more reliable method of calculating this value for yourself. It's even more frustrating that their BMR formulas don't match MFP when you have them linked which automatically makes for an offset between the platforms.

It'd be great if it matched MFP's sedentary BMR x 1.25 formula and you'd just let the tracker add any calories on top of that instead of these silly calorie adjustments that can even go negative.

My Fenix3 I find is accurate for recorded exercise(using external HRM for Cardio and not using a HRM for brisk walking). The only exception is mixed cardio/strength like Insanity - only gives me 400 calories per session with the HRM but it's a bit low on the estimate from how I feel after.

But it underestimates my general BMR and steps significantly (like 200-300 cals). I have a pretty low bf% though.