Dry January...anyone else going alcohol free?

Options
LZMiner
LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
This is quite a big step...spouse and I are regular drinkers...6-7 days a week, and with the holidays, we've really indulged. Apparently, going alcohol free in January is fairly common in the U.K...who knew...and there are lots of articles about it...both good and bad. Anyone else want to give it a whirl...or if you've done it...care to share how it went? Looking for camaraderie for what I think is going to be several tough weeks!

Replies

• swiftiesbuddies
    swiftiesbuddies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Im quitting the booze as well for Dry January, and again hoping to drop 3 stone between now and june (£100 in bets against me that i dont lol) Sleep pattern is the first thing that has suffered, Still struggling to get a good nights sleep, and minor headaches too but I think this is the bodily withdrawl symptoms, Trying to stick to 1800 calories per day and excersise 180 mins per week(recommended is 150 mins) anyone suffering any other symtoms Cheers Marcus
  • LZMiner
    Options
    b79366 wrote: »
    I will join dry January with you. I am using an app Easy Quit Stop Drinking as it encourages me with the health benefits and the money I am saving. I used something similar for smoking and it helped me.

Ooh....I will look into the app. I smoked in my early 20s....A pack a day. Quitting was one of the hardest things I ever did....good for you! Good health is priceless. Here's to Day 4 being "dry!"
  • teetzelk
    teetzelk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agreed @swiftiesbuddies Sleep pattern is totally messed up for me as well. I'll definitely limit but not sure I can completely cut it out of my "diet". Still, I'm sure this will help me tremendously lose my weight. Maybe not so much the beer/wine as the bad decisions that follow: "Pizza sounds really good now!" :)
  • thesnackmonster
    thesnackmonster Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I am also trying to cut down the booze, I have drunk so much Prosecco over the holidays!! If I can manage to quit for January that would be amazing but I agree with Jessieescobar that it may be setting myself up to fail.
  • fupin
    fupin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't realize so many people were there with me trying to quit the booze ! We can do it one day at a time
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm in, but will take one night off for my birthday dinner. Otherwise, going dry. I've been having a glass+ of wine every night after work to relax, then beer on weekends with fries, my weight is going up, sleep is off, and I'm tired. It'll be interesting to see what dry feels like.
  • sjharrit
    sjharrit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep I am doing it - only started yesterday though as we were away and knew it would not happen then. Also it is my other's half birthday on 28th Jan so will start again then but the plan is to have 3 weeks off and maybe train myself not to drink in the week and reduce my intake on the weeken - I am a bottle of wine a night kinda girl. Hopefully I can succeed and see some weight falling off too.
  • LZMiner
    Options
    Ha! I'm a bottle of wine a night kinda girl too, although I generally split with spouse. I'm nervous about the weekend....that will be the hardest part. Luckily, we have kid stuff going on...soccer tournament. If we were going to an adult party, it would be really, really tough. Luckily, don't have one of those until 1/21.
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm going "juiceless January" as well. I am hoping that I reset my habits and understand how many calories I take in via alcohol. I really want to loose this 25 to 30 lbs.
  • baviddowie
    baviddowie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm going to do a dry month starting in mid-January. I, too, am a regular drinker- 3-4 nights per week sometimes. I'll be cutting that down to about 1-2 nights per week until going completely dry until mid-Feb. Cheers! (just kidding)
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My friends and I usually do Sober in October, but this year it's January. I have one day this month I have plans and will allow it. Not gonna be easy, but I'd like to try to do it.
  • sjharrit
    sjharrit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Other Half has spent the afternoon in the pub today as he is not back at work till Monday he is currently sat with a beer on the sofa whilst I drink my green tea
  • roseannapratt1983
    Options
    I'm going dry as well
  • LZMiner
    Options
    Well, apparently someone set up a group for Dry January----I can't find it though, and sent her a message. Hopefully we can all get added. There's a bunch of MFPers going DRY. So far the only issue I'm having is sleeping....I'm waking up during the night :-( . Odd, because I always thought alcohol interfered with sleep! Hopefully this will go away soon. Cheers!
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find that group either, please let us know if you do.
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I plan on having a dry January, used to drink most days but cut it down to weekends only. But now I have lost most of the weight, drinking is holding me back from my final goal. Plus I Always eat more when I drink and choice of food, not always good, plus alcohol puts a stop on your body burning fat and it's so full of calories.
  • Justjayde1984
    Justjayde1984 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Dry January here we come!
  • canadian_vegan
    canadian_vegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    yep so far so good for me!!!!! cant' find the group either though