Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i'm down 80 pounds overall and i don't eat back my calories and i lift and do cardio for 2-3 hours a day, and only eat like 1200 calories.

Ummm.....maybe it's just on my end but I don't see that you have logged food.

ETA: I found a few entries but they are random.

I don't log my food bc i know by now how much calories are in everything i eat, i nolonger need the site to create guilt or to help track, i can do it on my head now, i just use the site for weight reporting.
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of my calories back after exercising. Its good to have that buffer and know that you can but I don't get fixated on eating the total amount just eat when Im hungry....
  • RavenBlurayne
    RavenBlurayne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back because iv always been told that you were to burn more then you eat. I may sometimes go over, Im not sending my body in to starvation mode, im not gonna look like starvin marvin either. the weight is coming off slowly but I also dont trust the machine calorie counts and such either. :p
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you dont like the topic at hand then dont respond, you initial reply was most defiantly coming off as a jerk..... stop being a troll and leave like the lady asked.

To whom is this directed?
  • RavenBlurayne
    RavenBlurayne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i went to reply to a earlier post but hit the wrong button, I fixed it :p
  • larrytyrersr
    larrytyrersr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try not to, but am not upset if I get some back. I underestimate the time I do workout just to adjust to it..It seems to work for me and I have have a slow steady weight drop because of it...I like this app and only find it hard to get friends on it....The bigger the support group the greater the weight loss from what I understand. I only wish I knew of this when I began my diet....I starved and swam off the first 150 pounds, but since beginning this I can actually eat without guilt!!
  • Gooddaytostart
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to say what they want and if you don't like it then don't respond. It only causes more hostility. This is here to help people not to argue.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to say what they want and if you don't like it then don't respond. It only causes more hostility. This is here to help people not to argue.
    Nobody had a said a word since July, until you came along.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I purposely under-log and then eat back most of the calories.

I just do not believe the database enough to go full force eating back calories, or logging exactly as I actually exercised. For example, 5 hours of walking around the zoo with my fiancé rarely stopping but keeping a solid pace...I am not going to log 5 hours of quick paced walking and say "OH cool I almost doubled my daily cals! Let's get a pizza at midnight". Instead, I'll log 60 min of walking at a moderate pace and eat back those calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Resurrects dead thread to complain about the supposed unnecessary hostility by calling people out for how they participated in the discussion four months ago.

Seems legit.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Resurrects dead thread to complain about the supposed unnecessary hostility by calling people out for how they participated in the discussion four months ago.

Seems legit.

I don't think it matters how well reasoned a particular method of weightloss is or how much science there is to back it up...someone somewhere is ALWAYS going to disagree...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

Yep, seems like zombie thread day again.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If someone has to ask: "If I eat back my calories, what's the point of exercising?!" then we already know where their heads are at and honestly, I don't know why they're exercising at all since they could simply eat less.

But I like to eat MOAR.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I rarely even log my exercise anymore. I'd rather just eat when I am hungry.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I purposely under-log and then eat back most of the calories.

I just do not believe the database enough to go full force eating back calories, or logging exactly as I actually exercised. For example, 5 hours of walking around the zoo with my fiancé rarely stopping but keeping a solid pace...I am not going to log 5 hours of quick paced walking and say "OH cool I almost doubled my daily cals! Let's get a pizza at midnight". Instead, I'll log 60 min of walking at a moderate pace and eat back those calories.

I do the same!
  • loricandelario
    Options
    eating back your calories is a new idea. there is no reason to exercise then, is there.. of course there is if you are looking for cardio health or to build muscle, thats fine. you eat them back once you are maintaining. only since we've become obese as a nation to we think we should eat back exercise calories. and let me tell you all these bands, gym tools, etc, they all LIE by about 30%. So if you think you burned 600, its closer to 400. As long as your got adequate nutrition from your 12-1600 calories per day, you can burn THEM ALL off and you will be fine. When I was in college, after every meal, I worked them off. I didn't drop of exhaustion, I was just fine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    eating back your calories is a new idea. there is no reason to exercise then, is there.. of course there is if you are looking for cardio health or to build muscle, thats fine. you eat them back once you are maintaining. only since we've become obese as a nation to we think we should eat back exercise calories. and let me tell you all these bands, gym tools, etc, they all LIE by about 30%. So if you think you burned 600, its closer to 400. As long as your got adequate nutrition from your 12-1600 calories per day, you can burn THEM ALL off and you will be fine. When I was in college, after every meal, I worked them off. I didn't drop of exhaustion, I was just fine.

1.) I don't think you understand how MFP's deficit works. There's already a deficit whether you exercise or not. Eating the calories back is to keep the deficit from being unhealthy. Which leads me to:
    2.) Are you saying that it's safe and healthy to eat 1200 calories worth of food for the day and burn off 1200 calories with exercise? If so your post violates the community guidelines.
    3.) People are often advised to eat back half to three quarters of the calories burned to compensate for inaccuracies. Personally I've always eaten back every calorie.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. When I do, I gain weight. I am not entirely convinced this calculator is really accurate at the sigma 3 ends of the bell curve.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back for two reasons...

1. I don't feel like I need to. I'm not hungry and my energy is great.

2. I have a lot of weight to lose.

I think whether you do or don't depends on your weight loss and fitness goals (ie. training for a marathon). I lift weights 45-50 minutes every day and do at least an hour of cardio. I have plenty of energy that lasts all day. If I felt like I needed to, I would eat more.

Also, it's enough for me to measure and weigh everything I eat in order to get accurate calorie counts. I don't want to have to be fanatical about measuring caloriesed burn too. Maybe if I was an accountant type, that would be more appealing.