Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this gem yesterday?

I eat mine back because if I didn't, I'd be netting roughly 700-800 calories per day.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Here's the pat on the back you seem desperate for:

-pat-

And as for the question? I eat at TDEE-20% and monitor my calories burnt with a heart rate monitor. I don't "eat back" calories but my daily exercise is figured into my calorie calculation already. I eat the same amount of calories if I exercised or not.
    I maintain a consistent level of calories (1850 a day right now) and work out 5-6 days a week as well as walking. I've lost my most recent 20lb this way.
  • KBURTON672
    KBURTON672 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I dont eat back my calories because I am teaching myself to enjoy smaller portions and to eat when I need to eat. It feels good to see that I am below my calorie limit for the day, and I have been below since I started, (one week ago). I have lost a lot of weight in a week, and I would like to see my weight continue to come off. I do cardio (walking, kick boxing) and weights, and yes, I agree MFP does seem to overstate calorie burn. I feel great with the 1200 calories and I am usually below that, dont know how long that will last, but until then its working for me.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    When I followed the MFP method I ate my calories back.

Because that's how the website works.

^ that
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    When I followed the MFP guidelines I ate my exercise calories back. However, now that I am opting for a TDEE based calorie goal (which is better for people who exercise at higher intensities), I eat roughly the same everyday,.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

mind blown
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Yawn.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I eat my calories back. But I also agree with you that I think most times MFP overestimates our calories burned, so I solve that issue by entering a little less time. Clean the house full-force w/o stopping for an hour? I'll enter 10 min of cleaning with heavy effort and 20 min light cleaning. Walk for 6 1/2 hours in a travel day? 120 minutes of walking at moderate speed entered. Works for me so far.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

I do not because I have tried it and gained weight.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back mostly. It's not like I burn a million of them though...maybe 200-300 a day. If I needed to I would, but I don't, so I won't. I'm quite sure that my body can handle the deficit. It's been storing up fuel for a famine for years now...so it might as well start using some of it.
  • greenmonstergirl
    Options
    WOW! so this is my very first time with MFP and looking at the Forums - this was the first Thread I seen that interested me. So I opened it up and read the post by deemar54 and thought ok, interesting BUT then I read the first response from adini749 and thought holy heck! that's a pretty rude response! So for what its worth, I actually found the topic interesting - remember I am new and have not seen the, apparently countless other Threads on the same topic. Thanks for the info, but I have to say, I dont think I would ever post a question/topic for fear of being shot down like the author of this topic has been.

Then don't ever post...

I have found the people on here to be very rude for the most part. Have a thick skin and good luck! Not sure why everyone is so angry, maybe they are hungry???
  • reankanesmom
    reankanesmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat what I burn is if I had not met my calorie goal for the day. I've done it the way it's suppose to work and I do not lose even an ounce. I did it for 6 months and never moved in weight one bit.
  • greenmonstergirl
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.

I wasn't being rude or a jerk.

In a more recent thread? We get these threads daily and the responses are usually pretty much the same. Would you like me to link you to some?

OHHHH...she's an ADMIN!!! LOL!
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm with the eat only WHEN hungry crowd, so no I don't always eat back my exercise calories.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you feel like eating back your calories and you still lose weight, do it. If you don't feel like eating back your calories and are losing weight, don't do it.

Honestly the only time I can see it being a "risk" to not eat them back is if you already have very low intake and are busting your *** exercising. Otherwise, live and let live. No need for a holier than thou for either side of the argument.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I dont eat back my calories because I am teaching myself to enjoy smaller portions and to eat when I need to eat. It feels good to see that I am below my calorie limit for the day, and I have been below since I started, (one week ago). I have lost a lot of weight in a week, and I would like to see my weight continue to come off. I do cardio (walking, kick boxing) and weights, and yes, I agree MFP does seem to overstate calorie burn. I feel great with the 1200 calories and I am usually below that, dont know how long that will last, but until then its working for me.

You're new here (1st post) ..... so I will explain how MFP works ....... MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise ....... So when you exercise you create an even larger calorie deficit. When the calorie deficit is too large ..... you lose fat AND muscle .... when you reduce muscle mass .... you lower your metabolism. Your body will catobolize muscle to get the nutrients it needs (everything is not stored as fat).

This is your choice ..... but people on prolonged very low calorie diets (VLCD) are subject to plateaus ..... you will lose weight for awhile (this 1st week is mostly water .... sorry)...... but then your weight loss will stall out.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I can cope mentally better with the calorie defficit if I eat back my workout calories. I don't binge. I do not have cheat days.
    Personally, knowing myself, without eating back calories I would have dropped from MFP months ago. Instead, I dropped over 20 kgs to this point.

Everyone has something that works. Everyone is different. No matter what others may say, I consider eating back calories good for me, mentally. I maybe slowing down myself, but I'll have the treats that I earn throught sweat.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.

I wasn't being rude or a jerk.

In a more recent thread? We get these threads daily and the responses are usually pretty much the same. Would you like me to link you to some?

OHHHH...she's an ADMIN!!! LOL!

Que? Anyone can link a thread...
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat some of my exercise calories back, but not all of them. I am always fearful that I am underestimating the calories that I eat and overestimating the calories I burn, so I leave enough room for error.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

mind blown

Even crazier? It worked! I lost five pounds that way. But then, I didn't make a habit of of over estimating my burns and then blaming the method when it didn't work. I mean, I got all hungry and quit, but it still worked. Just wasn't my cup of tea.