Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If i'm cutting, i don't eat back exercise calories. If i'm not bulking, i do eat back exercise calories. If i'm maintaining, i don't exercise.

What? Can you explain this to me unless it was a type ... but if you are not bulking and you're not maintaing ...aren't you cutting?
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always log my exercise calories.. But I use my phone. Apparently, that's not showing up on here. My phone app reflects a walk from earlier this afternoon, but it doesnt show up on here for some reason. However, I do consistently log. Since 06/10/2013 I have gotten married, tended to a dying grandmother, and then attended said grandmother's calling hours and funeral. Logging kind of went to the wayside during that time period due to just plain stress and I am just now picking back up. IF you want to read my diary go back to the beginning of June and start there.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. Also, I don't need to justify why I choose not to eat them back all the time to anyone, because it's my body and I can choose not to do it if I want, and plus.. who would care? As I said, I offered up my take on it to see why or why not people eat back what they burn... not to deal with people who automatically take to the defensive.So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.

I agree why post if you already made up your mind?
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I just did my first ever search on MFP. "Rude people on MFP" wow, over 50 pages! NICE

Good god, get over it. I find it hysterical that YOU of all people are calling other people mean and rude and bullies when you made a post with the SOLE purpose to call someone else unattractive. Get off your high horse, already.

I also posted many links for the OP to look at.

And btw, I've had many new users PM and FR me with their thanks to my posts on the forums.

The difference between you and I, is that I realized I had hurt someone and apologized directly to them and in forum.
  • Rilzy
    Options
    Geez. Just think of all the calories people are burning from getting worked up on this thread. Might even be room for a cookie... unless we don't eat back those calories :happy: :tongue:

I read somewhere that while experiencing nerd rage, cookies become calorie free.

Oh? Really... I've gone off looking for some legit nerd rage experience - I have a box of Pepperidge Farm Milanos that I'd love to become zero cals.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I just did my first ever search on MFP. "Rude people on MFP" wow, over 50 pages! NICE

Good god, get over it. I find it hysterical that YOU of all people are calling other people mean and rude and bullies when you made a post with the SOLE purpose to call someone else unattractive. Get off your high horse, already.

I also posted many links for the OP to look at.

And btw, I've had many new users PM and FR me with their thanks to my posts on the forums.

The difference between you and I, is that I realized I had hurt someone and apologized directly to them and in forum.

Make another thread about adini being a bully. Use the full name. And pics too please.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If i'm cutting, i don't eat back exercise calories. If i'm not bulking, i do eat back exercise calories. If i'm maintaining, i don't exercise.

What? Can you explain this to me unless it was a type ... but if you are not bulking and you're not maintaing ...aren't you cutting?

Oh thanks, it was a typo. I'm glad you were paying attention!
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I just did a search too. "People are too sensitive" another 50 pages. And oh yeah, aren't you the one who called someone unattractive yesterday?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Geez. Just think of all the calories people are burning from getting worked up on this thread. Might even be room for a cookie... unless we don't eat back those calories :happy: :tongue:

I read somewhere that while experiencing nerd rage, cookies become calorie free.

Oh? Really... I've gone off looking for some legit nerd rage experience - I have a box of Pepperidge Farm Milanos that I'd love to become zero cals.

Make a thread about men preferring curvy girls over skinny girls. You can eat dem cookies all day baby!
    Options

I just did a search too. "People are too sensitive" another 50 pages. And oh yeah, aren't you the one who called someone unattractive yesterday?

smh
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back. I also don't use the numbers from MFP. I base my caloric intake on calculators like Scoobyworkshop and IIFYM. I chose the setting to match my goal (gain muscle, lose fat) and my exercise level and I don't eat back exercise calories because those are already accounted for. Everyone has different goals and those who have their calories set for something crazy like losing two pounds a week may have to eat back their exercise calories to consume back to their BMR.

In summary, there are different goals and different ways to get to the same place.
  • Nicoodlenoodle
    Nicoodlenoodle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump

hahahaha this is the greatest of all. And do I see BACOOOONNNN?
  • sandropeta
    Options
    Lmao... I need to read these more often!
  • Rilzy
    Options

Oh thanks, it was a typo. I'm glad you were paying attention!

I try my best :wink:
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    * bump to read later
    Options
    I always log my exercise calories.. But I use my phone. Apparently, that's not showing up on here. My phone app reflects a walk from earlier this afternoon, but it doesnt show up on here for some reason. However, I do consistently log. Since 06/10/2013 I have gotten married, tended to a dying grandmother, and then attended said grandmother's calling hours and funeral. Logging kind of went to the wayside during that time period due to just plain stress and I am just now picking back up. IF you want to read my diary go back to the beginning of June and start there.

I recently switched from phone to web version. Its a little different. I've heard many people say they eat roughly half back. Honestly, for me Im so used to eating 1470, and since I burn almost 1,000 cals on gym days that like eating 6 squares instead of the 3-4 I normally eat. I usually eat cal rich foods (healthy ones) and/or dont sweat it too much, usually bringing me a few hundred cals over my usual daily amount. I just feel like it would be too much food to eat them all back. But thats just me. I do wonder sometimes though if Id be losing faster if I pushed myself to eat them ALL back. So thats why this topic is interesting to me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Chugga chugga choo choo...

smash
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It depends with me. If I burn like 800 calories, I may eat back about 300 of them. Sometimes I don't.
    I'm not one of those who work out just to eat more (I see that a lot!) If I'm hungry I'll eat!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. At first I tried to eat them back but when I burned 400-600 calories, I just couldn't eat that much back. I wasn't hungry. For the most part I exercise and burn 150-200 calories per day and use it as a cushion. I try to keep my calories within my goal minus the exercise and then use my exercise calories as "bonus" if I happen to go over in an area. Like if I just need a little bit more chicken with dinner or I eat early and need a granola bar later. On the days that I do exercise more, I'll eat some of them back but rarely all of them.

I did find that when using MFP estimator compared to my HRM, the numbers remained almost identical for most cardio as long as it was 30 minutes or less. After 30 minutes, the numbers seem to separate quickly.