Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    Op-just ignore that incredibly aggressive poster. Shudder. Can you imagine how miserable he is IRL?

I try not to eat all of my excercise calories back bc I noticed when I do that I don't lose. I always find it interesting to see what others do!

Laura
  • debdarby1957
    debdarby1957 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree eating when you aren't hungry doesn't make sense to me. I am listening to my body and eat if I am hungry. I don't eat back my exercise calories because the program I am following has an amino acid called leucine that prevents you from going into that starvation save the fat mode and I am having success. I wish everyone success in what you decide and am glad I am finally on the website instead of just on my phone.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat back my calories burned because I don't like losing muscle.

You will lose weight if you eat too little. No doubt. Starving African kids (and Olsen twins) have done it. Its about wether you will look like an African Starving kid when you do reach your goal weight or not.

Miniscule...all African kids aren't starving.

Italians are from Italy
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Allllllllllright. Forget I even asked. Holy God in Heaven.

No F*** that. You're being bullied. I liked your post. I think there is a block feature on MFP but Im not yet sure how to use it.

Bullied? Are you serious?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    As long as people are going to view success strictly by what the scale reads, then all this eat or not to eat is a waste of time. There is a lot more to being healthy than weight. That being said, OP, if you are purely viewing your success by what the scale tells you, then go with whatever eating style makes you happy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and do you not record your exercise at all? is the 1730 what MFP gave you? Or a tdee calculation that includes exercise cals?

do you find yourself constantly eating and netting low? Or is the exercise not rigorous?

To add to this -

How do you know if you are eating you exercise cals back or not when you don't consistently log?
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat back my exercise cals. I'm losing at a steady rate. I hardly ever eat back every single one and I under log my exercise time to combat the pesky generous over-estimation of MFP. So like today I entered 20 minutes of treading water when in reality I did 30.

I've drooped 120lbs over the past 2 years and sometimes I was miserable trying other methods. This is the best way that works for me.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just did my first ever search on MFP. "Rude people on MFP" wow, over 50 pages! NICE

Good god, get over it. I find it hysterical that YOU of all people are calling other people mean and rude and bullies when you made a post with the SOLE purpose to call someone else unattractive. Get off your high horse, already.

I also posted many links for the OP to look at.

And btw, I've had many new users PM and FR me with their thanks to my posts on the forums.

You always post good with good sense, but unfortunately there will always be people who either don't understand basic logic or science or both, and who attack the voices of reason.
  • kaydeedoubleu1
    kaydeedoubleu1 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well i don't eat them back, but that is because my mind is telling me excersise more eat less! but i notice a massive improvement in my energy levels and workouts when i do up my calorie intake (so long as it is with 'good' food), soi therefore get more out of it from a fitness point of view, but in that instance i tend to loose less weight. Its all dependant on whether you want to build muscle or just plain lose weight.
  • taunto
    Options
    I hear theres a sale on snickers. Lets play a game and go buy one.

And then eat it!
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I eat back mine, honestly I don't really diet
    my eating habits are not great and I should really focus on my diet but I don't. ---Anyway to answer your question yes I do eat back mine because I have a huge appetite. Honestly, you will hear many opinions on this site and you will need to pick and choose what works for you. Some people will say watch your macros, eat more protein (which is hard), do this do that and truthfully it may not work for you. last year, around this time I was about 180 ---as two weeks ago I was 144---and I always eat back my exercise calories----people are different and what work for some may not work for others. So far I have been really lucky where exercise has been the key for getting in shape because my diet is crappy
  • taunto
    Options
    I just did my first ever search on MFP. "Rude people on MFP" wow, over 50 pages! NICE

Good god, get over it. I find it hysterical that YOU of all people are calling other people mean and rude and bullies when you made a post with the SOLE purpose to call someone else unattractive. Get off your high horse, already.

I also posted many links for the OP to look at.

And btw, I've had many new users PM and FR me with their thanks to my posts on the forums.

You always post good with good sense, but unfortunately there will always be people who either don't understand basic logic or science or both, and who attack the voices of reason.

While I agree with what you said, I say

Screw that, she's a bully with all that flaunting of common sense
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    To those of you who disagree with me, ok. I sincerely hope if you ever start a forum topic you are treated with more respect. I am so incredibly tired of the rhetoric here. Apparently its OK to give advice in rude, condescending tones and its also ok to point out how redundant and stupid someones topic is. I feel so bad for new people actually looking for help, because unfortunately the people who've been around a while have this strange inability to be polite.

^ This. It's unfortunate that good information is often lost amidst pages and pages of bickering. Too many 'thought police' on this site.
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Geez. Just think of all the calories people are burning from getting worked up on this thread. Might even be room for a cookie... unless we don't eat back those calories :happy: :tongue:
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    wow...seems to be some hangry people on this thread. :tongue: :smile:

I personally eat very little to zero exercise calories back. I figure I have about 100 lbs of 'stored energy' to tap into before I need to worry about replacing spent energy.

I also underestimate my calories burned.
  • taunto
    Options
    Geez. Just think of all the calories people are burning from getting worked up on this thread. Might even be room for a cookie... unless we don't eat back those calories :happy: :tongue:

I read somewhere that while experiencing nerd rage, cookies become calorie free.
  • Caelrr
    Caelrr Posts: 26
    Options
    Wow, that first poster was really rude!! D:

I don't exercise as much as I should.
    I'm also not very strict on my diet.
    You're not supposed to consume the calories you lost exercising if you're trying to lose weight.
    So it really just depends on what your goal is.
    The months I'm REALLY strict with my diet, I definitely wouldn't eat back the calories I worked so hard to lose!!
    I usually don't exercise, though. Lol.
    I work two jobs that require CONSTANT speed walking with 6lbs-12lbs carried in my arms nearly the entire time.
    I wish I had an office job, or something much more sedentary.
    If I did, I would be much more enthusiastic about actual exercising.
    My legs hurt way too much to do anything outside of work. It's sad, really.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If i'm cutting, i don't eat back exercise calories. If i'm bulking, i do eat back exercise calories. If i'm maintaining, i don't exercise.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How refreshing, an openly obvious troll!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am eating at maintenance for the next month or so. Therefore, I DON'T eat my exercise calories back (I am trying to burn off fat, so why would I want to do that?). If I ate my exercise calories back, I MIGHT gain muscle, but then, again, I might be pretty much the same place as I am now (since it is notoriously difficult to gain muscle beyond initial gains, and I am not working out at the level it will likely take to add much more). I'll see how this works. If/when I go to a calorie deficit again, I will eat my exercise calories back. I have been doing my current plan for the past month and I am noticing more of a change in my body composition than when I was on a plateau a few months back. My biggest problem is that I tend to under-eat and my fat burning mechanism wants to go to sleep. Sometimes, it is important to change things up. :smile: