Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I simply offer prayers of thanks that this is not about clean eating.

Amen.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Ok the short answer............. Yes ate them back and lost 312 lbs...... Best of Luck

/thread
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    To those of you who disagree with me, ok. I sincerely hope if you ever start a forum topic you are treated with more respect. I am so incredibly tired of the rhetoric here. Apparently its OK to give advice in rude, condescending tones and its also ok to point out how redundant and stupid someones topic is. I feel so bad for new people actually looking for help, because unfortunately the people who've been around a while have this strange inability to be polite.

I would love to hug you. Thanks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Well there's something you and I can agree on. :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

ROFL I literally shot pop out my nose!!! :drinker: Agreed x1000
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I just did my first ever search on MFP. "Rude people on MFP" wow, over 50 pages! NICE
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

ROFL I literally shot pop out my nose!!! :drinker: Agreed x1000

:drinker:
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

I make no effort to eat extra calories just because I exercised. Is this just the flip side of going hungry one day to "save the calories" for a festivity on a subsequent day?

No. That was kind of my point. I don't make an effort to eat extra calories because I exercised either. But if I'm hungry, I will eat. I dont believe in saving calories either.
    Options
    To those of you who disagree with me, ok. I sincerely hope if you ever start a forum topic you are treated with more respect. I am so incredibly tired of the rhetoric here. Apparently its OK to give advice in rude, condescending tones and its also ok to point out how redundant and stupid someones topic is. I feel so bad for new people actually looking for help, because unfortunately the people who've been around a while have this strange inability to be polite.

I would love to hug you. Thanks.

*Hugs* back :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I just did my first ever search on MFP. "Rude people on MFP" wow, over 50 pages! NICE

You do realize that you are instigating now right? People are slowly moving past it but if you keep on doing this, the thread will really derail.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

One more won't hurt. Make a thread!!!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a long ways to go yet, but I do eat back most of my exercise calories and I am losing. I think that what some people, when they hit a plateau, have forgotten to do is to adjust their goals. You should be adjusting them every 5-10 lbs lost as your calorie requirements do go down. Boo hoo - LOL! I think I started out at around 1660, and it's gone down to 1540 now after 25 lbs lost. Due to a bad knee, I can't exercise hard every day so I go to the gym every other day, and try to split the extra calories over 2 days, otherwise on the non-exercise day I feel really deprived!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Ok the short answer............. Yes ate them back and lost 312 lbs...... Best of Luck

i have seen your posts before. just wanted to say congratulations, you're awesome!

He is indeed pretty awesome. Theres a bunch of other folks too who lost a great bunch via eating back their calories. In my first reply to the thread I mentioned that you can lose both by eating and not eating back the calories. The difference would be how your body would look once you reach your goal weight. Eating back the calories also keeps one sane imo :)

I wasn't talking to you.

Thats a bully if I ever saw one on MFP!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Oh look. A warning label on a bag of PEANUTS!

2072785799_ae356132c1_o.jpg
    Options

You do realize that you are instigating now right? People are slowly moving past it but if you keep on doing this, the thread will really derail.

Lets move on I agree...but you know the truth is I never made a search before...people need to make room for newbies :)
    Options

One more won't hurt. Make a thread!!!

NO LOL :P
  • chelcdub
    chelcdub Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. Also, I don't need to justify why I choose not to eat them back all the time to anyone, because it's my body and I can choose not to do it if I want, and plus.. who would care? As I said, I offered up my take on it to see why or why not people eat back what they burn... not to deal with people who automatically take to the defensive.So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.
    That's what I was thinking. I agree with your post btw. If I'm super hungry, I eat my calories back, maybe some...maybe all. Honestly there are days when working out makes me not want to eat, and not the whole day before someone assumes, just after. Great, funny post.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and do you not record your exercise at all? is the 1730 what MFP gave you? Or a tdee calculation that includes exercise cals?

do you find yourself constantly eating and netting low? Or is the exercise not rigorous?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Good god, get over it. I find it hysterical that YOU of all people are calling other people mean and rude and bullies when you made a post with the SOLE purpose to call someone else unattractive. Get off your high horse, already.

I also posted many links for the OP to look at.

And btw, I've had many new users PM and FR me with their thanks to my posts on the forums.
  • chelcdub
    chelcdub Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat back my calories burned because I don't like losing muscle.

You will lose weight if you eat too little. No doubt. Starving African kids (and Olsen twins) have done it. Its about wether you will look like an African Starving kid when you do reach your goal weight or not.

Miniscule...all African kids aren't starving.