Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Autism Spectrum Disorders

Options
123457»

Replies

• Lyric_Momma
    Lyric_Momma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Some of the responses in this post are just ignorant. It is mainly genetic and there is nothing someone can do to prevent it. It is NOT overly diagnosed to "bad children" or due to poor parenting. I not only have personal, but professional backround on the topic. My son does not have ASD, but a co-occurring disorder that all kids with ASD have. To be honest, as a professional I reached out to other professionals for an opinion. I knew if he was- it was borderline. There is no one symptom of autism. The saying is "if you have met one person with autism, you have met one person with autism".
  • Lyric_Momma
    Lyric_Momma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ^ I did comment after reading only the first to pages. Here in the US Aspergers is no longer given as a diagnosis and it is being phased out. Kinda like the r-word (once a medical term, but no longer used as a diagnosis). They just say high functioning now. Although many people do know high functioning as being Aspergers. I learned this through getting my son tested. I also leaned that sensory processing disorder is not a separate diagnosis as it falls under ASD and my sons diagnosis of dyspraxia.

After reading more comments it's nice to see not everyone is clueless on ASD. Rates are on the rise due to advances and properly diagnosing people. We no longer lock people up for their differences and give them humane and equal treatment. *that's a whole other rant I could go into*. It is on the "rise" because we know what to look for and how to help them succeed.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    ^ I did comment after reading only the first to pages. Here in the US Aspergers is no longer given as a diagnosis and it is being phased out. Kinda like the r-word (once a medical term, but no longer used as a diagnosis). They just say high functioning now. Although many people do know high functioning as being Aspergers. I learned this through getting my son tested. I also leaned that sensory processing disorder is not a separate diagnosis as it falls under ASD and my sons diagnosis of dyspraxia.

After reading more comments it's nice to see not everyone is clueless on ASD. Rates are on the rise due to advances and properly diagnosing people. We no longer lock people up for their differences and give them humane and equal treatment. *that's a whole other rant I could go into*. It is on the "rise" because we know what to look for and how to help them succeed.

When I was formally assessed/diagnosed a few months back the doctor told me that a child would be diagnosed as high functioning but they use the term Aspergers for adults, to all intent and purpose I have high functioning autism, but more people seem to understand the term Aspergers.