Does it matter that I am eating little?

Options
Hi so I'm a 5ft 5, 167lbs, 21 year old guy.
I would say that on an average day I eat around 900 calories but there are days where it is closer to 1200.
I know that people say that this is not enough calories but I honestly feel great. I am a lot more energised than I ever have been and have no problem with finding motivation to exercise, nor do I spend all day hungry.
I am losing weight at a rate of around 2lbs a week which is a healthy amount.
So I'm just checking that all is okay. Because I feel great but know people think its unhealthy.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is a healthy amount for someone who has 75+ pounds to lose. You're only about 15 pounds from the top of a healthy BMI, so that rate is too aggressive.

Just because you feel great doesn't mean you aren't damaging your body. At that low of an intake you're risking a lot of muscle loss, as well as a host of other health issues. Eat a MINIMUM of 1500 calories, if not the goal MFP gives you for .5-1 pound a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is not healthy given your stats.

Do you have a reason for eating so little? Why not just eat larger portions of what you're eating to hit your calorie goal?

If you carry on like that you will make yourself seriously ill.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    No, it's not okay, and I think you know it -- otherwise you wouldn't be preemptively trying to justify it with all the stuff about exercise and energy levels and how you "feel great." Your body needs an appropriate amount of fuel, even if you don't feel the bad effects of eating too little immediately.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Healthy (moderate paced) weight loss helps you lower your body fat %.....not just your weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that an active guy of your size maintains on 1900-2200 calories or that you could consistently feel great and energized and able to exercise only eating 900-1200 calories for more than 3 days. Your calorie counting is off.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't believe that an active guy of your size maintains on 1900-2200 calories or that you could consistently feel great and energized and able to exercise only eating 900-1200 calories for more than 3 days. Your calorie counting is off.

I hope you're right.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This guy felt great at first too:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10478099/no-libido-thinning-hair/p1

You need to decide if the risks are worth what you are trying to achieve. Along with the outcomes of that thread, other problems of under-eating include: forgetfulness, dizziness, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, muscle weakness, muscle wastage, brittle hair and nails, and many other things. You may feel fine, until one day you don't. Who knows how long it could take to undo the damage.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yeah, no friggin' way...
  • Prince_of_Mind
    Prince_of_Mind Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Do you have a reason for eating so little? Why not just eat larger portions of what you're eating to hit your calorie goal?

I eat that much as its all I need to stop feeling hungry. I find myself a bit peckish before bed but thats 5 hours after dinner so its not much of a surprise.
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Healthy (moderate paced) weight loss helps you lower your body fat %.....not just your weight.

I can now fit into clothes I haven't been able to wear since last year, and to be honest, if I did lose a bit of muscle off my thighs I wouldn't mind, in fact I would be quite happy. I have way too much muscle there haha.

I don't think my counting is off.
    For breakfast I have 1/3rd of a tin of grapefruit (150ish calories in a tin) and a hard boiled egg.
    For lunch I have 3 ryvita with a bit of ham on top, and a yogurt.
    For dinner I have a weight watchers ready meal, the highest calorie one I think was 350 something calories.

I don't snack and I only drink water so I know there are no hidden calories im missing.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would say that on an average day I eat around 900 calories but there are days where it is closer to 1200.
    I know that people say that this is not enough calories but I honestly feel great. I am a lot more energised than I ever have been and have no problem with finding motivation to exercise, nor do I spend all day hungry.
    So I'm just checking that all is okay. Because I feel great but know people think its unhealthy.

Ask your doctor not the internet.
  • Prince_of_Mind
    Options

Ask your doctor not the internet.

True
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

I eat that much as its all I need to stop feeling hungry. I find myself a bit peckish before bed but thats 5 hours after dinner so its not much of a surprise.

I can now fit into clothes I haven't been able to wear since last year, and to be honest, if I did lose a bit of muscle off my thighs I wouldn't mind, in fact I would be quite happy. I have way too much muscle there haha.

For breakfast I have 1/3rd of a tin of grapefruit (150ish calories in a tin) and a hard boiled egg.
    For dinner I have a weight watchers ready meal, the highest calorie one I think was 350 something calories.

I don't snack and I only drink water so I know there are no hidden calories im missing.

You're happy to lose thigh muscle? We don't think alike at all.

• Prince_of_Mind
    Options

For dinner I have a weight watchers ready meal, the highest calorie one I think was 350 somehing calories.

You're happy to lose thigh muscle? We don't think alike at all.

I've been overweight all my life. I think I gained a lot of muscle on my thighs from having to lug my heavy *kitten* around everywhere I go. When I had managed to lose the weight a couple of years ago my legs were disproportionately huge to the rest of my body because of it. And as someone that finds guys with slim built bodies attractive... I hate it. :P
  • Prince_of_Mind
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10478099/no-libido-thinning-hair/p1

You need to decide if the risks are worth what you are trying to achieve. Along with the outcomes of that thread, other problems of under-eating include: forgetfulness, dizziness, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, muscle weakness, muscle wastage, brittle hair and nails, and many other things. You may feel fine, until one day you don't. Who knows how long it could take to undo the damage.

Btw I am reading your link now. Just wanted to let you know incase you thought I ignored your reply :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Are you asking this question as deep down you know something isn't right
    as another poster says you will end up ill
    I wont give you my ok
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    There goes your lean muscle mass... :o
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Btw I am reading your link now. Just wanted to let you know incase you thought I ignored your reply :)

No worries. We can't really stop you. I'm just wanting you to be aware of the risks of the choices you are making.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    sounds like ur doing goood. wish ihad that discipline

Consuming an excessively low amount of calories is not considered "doing goood". It's unhealthy and potentially quite dangerous, as explained upthread.