Heart Rate Monitor

Options
2»

Replies

• lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin forerunner 230 with a garmin chest strap hrm. I find them to be far more accurate than the wrist mounted trackers with hrm's built in. You can also add on a cadence sensor for biking as well.

What do you mean by "You can also add on a cadence sensor for biking as well."? What would that do?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    A bike cadence sensor measures how often you turn the pedals. Most cyclists find that spinning at around 90 rpms is easiest on their knees and the sweet spot for balancing the workload of moving the bike between the legs and cardiovascular system.
  • lkokot
    Options
    A bike cadence sensor measures how often you turn the pedals. Most cyclists find that spinning at around 90 rpms is easiest on their knees and the sweet spot for balancing the workload of moving the bike between the legs and cardiovascular system.

Ohhh OK; that's pretty cool!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    lkokot wrote: »
    Could somebody recommend a good heart rate monitor? There are so many of them on the market now it's difficult to choose.

I'm guessing that one that straps to your chest is way better and/or more accurate than one the one on your wrist?

Please provide some recommendations and why you're recommending it.

Thank you!

I like/use Polar, to keep track of my kcal burned. but I am not sure if it really matters as long as you are using it consistently.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The way to measure kCal use on a bike is with a power meter.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Chest strap.

Wahoo is what I use because it syncs both ANT+ and BLE. and will sync with up to two devices at once.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The way to measure kCal use on a bike is with a power meter.

If you're prepared to drop a serious amount of cash
  • lkokot
    Options

Chest strap.

Wahoo is what I use because it syncs both ANT+ and BLE. and will sync with up to two devices at once.

Oh Wow! This looks really good and for the price you can't beat it. How do you use it? Do you sync it with two devices at once?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you want it for. Do you want hr only when you workout, or do you want to know what it is 24/7?

I'm on my phone and can't get the link, but if you google "best fitness trackers 2016" PC Mag has some great and thorough reviews. I used them when I bought mine a couple years ago.

I used to wear an armband tracker, but switched to the Garmin Vivoactive. It now comes in an HR model, but I prefer the chest strap. They still seem to be more accurate and I only care about HR when training.

The Garmin also has notifications for texts, calls, FB, etc. you can accept or decline calls/texts but not respond. I like the app and website. I like the widgets and watchfaces you can download. Garmin has its own App Store and it has grown so much over the last year and a half.

Features I like:
    * Holds a charge well and charges fast.
    * Color display
    * Water resistant--can be worn in the shower, meant to be worn swimming.
    * Custom workouts (indoor/outdoor running/walking, biking( need the pedal thingy) swimming. Has privately developed apps to work with other workouts.
    * Very customizable.
    * LOVE my new magnetic watchband--was easy to change. My original one started to die after 1.5 years.
    * The notifications are great. It is much more subtle at work in meetings to check my watch than to grab my phone each time a call or text comes through.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lkokot wrote: »
    Chest strap.

Oh Wow! This looks really good and for the price you can't beat it. How do you use it? Do you sync it with two devices at once?

Yes, I use it with my Garmin watch and a tracker on my IPAD. Mostly because I don't trust either of them for calorie estimation so I split the difference

But also because I can see the HR on my IPAD when I'm doing KB swings without breaking my form.