Do you eat breakfast

Options
I hear so many different things how not eating breakfast makes you less hungry. Do you find this true anddo you eat breakfest?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Nope. :) I like to save my calories for the evening and night.

For me, it is true; if I eat earlier in the day, I am ravenous. Some find that they have to eat breakfast early on otherwise they'd be hungry all day.

Do what suits you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. Some people need to eat as soon as they wake up. Others find that eating so soon makes them graze all day and thus prefer to wait until lunch. I eat breakfast, but usually not until about 5-6 hours after I've woken up.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you eat breakfast, make it fats and protein and not carbs. If I do that I can last a long time without snacking on junk. If I eat a sugary breakfast, I'm real hungry 2-hrs later.

I not only didn't eat breakfast this morning, but I also didn't eat lunch. I regularly do a 20:4 type of fast (fast twenty hours including sleep and eat in a 4-hour window). I find it MUCH easier to do this than start eating and then having to limit the food after that. Fasting is an appetite suppressant. I often feel a little hungry when I wake up but if I drink a glass of water, it goes away and I typically don't get hungry until 2-5 in the afternoon (usually 3 or 4). If I get real hungry, I will eat 1/2 tsp of coconut oil (about 60 cals) and it will kill the hunger (if I ate carbs or even protein I think, I would be very hungry after a 17-18 hour fast and would most likely keep eating - this has been my experience). With the coconut oil, it doesn't make me hungry.

Unless you are doing physical labor for 2 or more hours before lunch, I don't think breakfast is needed. Most of us sit on our rears behind computers and the energy required to do that is minimal. Still everyone is different and you need to find out what works for you. Your shooting for a calorie deficit either way. I think there are other benefits to fasting though like increased insulin sensitivity among others and not having to do a lot of meal prep. I don't even count cals. If I don't lose, I will just shorten my eating window so it works out. It has worked out so far (lost 40lbs) and I eat tell full every night.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I do better without it. It's supposed to be healthy and jump start your metabolism but it just makes me wanna snack all day. Though I always start out with at least coffee in the morning. It'll be different for each person, but I'd still suggest making your earliest meal one that gives you energy and protein.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I love my breakfast, in fact, I eat several small ones which total about 500 cals.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I find not eating breakfast makes me ravenous at lunch and it's like I can never eat enough to catch up so I overeat.

So no to that. But it may have something to do with the fact if I don't eat breakfast it's 7 hrs between when I wake up and lunch. I also eat dinner around 6pm so we'd be talking about me not eating from 6pm until 1pm the next day if I skipped breakfast and that just doesn't work for me.
  • kmikecomer
    kmikecomer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    for me, an old guy, its all about not noshing at night after dinner, rather waking up with my body telling me to eat and fuel up! Eat break----FAST thats exactly what it is...
  • LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast, otherwise I'd only eat one meal a day (my job doesn't really work for me and lunch). It gets me going in the morning and through the day with small snacks between meals.

That being said, my fiance frequently skips breakfast or eats it late, which works for him. We frequently talk about the fact that I pop out of bed and get my breakfast going while he needs time to get going.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I need to eat immediately after waking up...like within minutes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I am a creature of habit, and eating regular meals every day is one of my habits.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    skipping breakfast is ok, as long as you do not feel fatigued or light headed from doing so. However, I love breakfast. I like starting my day off with a healthy breakfast - it sort of sets the mood for my day. :) Some days I even have 2 breakfasts!
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    As an above poster mentioned, having proteins and fats for breakfast keep me really satisfied and off of junk food. If I eat carbs for breakfast I am barely satisfied and get overly hungry sooner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast only once a week (on Sunday). The rest of the time I skip it. I train fasted and then eat a good lunch. Also on those days, I eat up till 11:30pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't typically eat breakfast. Makes me feel hungrier the whole rest of the day. I will sometimes eat "breakfast" for lunch tho. On the rare occasions when I do feel hungry soon upon waking, I will have a few eggs. That breakfast is least likely to leave me hungry two hours later.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I workout early in the morning, so definitely eat breakfast after that
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've recently quit eating breakfast so that I can have bigger meals later in the day. I don't find it has affected my energy or productivity in the mornings at all, so I am happier skipping it and my previous mid-morning snack. Makes me less hungry overall I'm finding.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I hate eating breakfast, but at the same time, if I don't, I eat too much for the rest of the day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but personally I need breakfast to fuel my morning workout.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I might be one of the only people who skips dinner instead of breakfast. For some reason, food does not appeal to me at night. But then I wake up ravenous in the morning so I pity the people that interfere with my breakfast time. :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »
    I hear so many different things how not eating breakfast makes you less hungry. Do you find this true anddo you eat breakfest?

Depends on you. Try it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
    I do better eating a 200-300 calorie breakfast than eating nothing until later in the day.
    I skipped breakfast in my teens and 20's and got by but was often super tired by the afternoon.