Do you eat breakfast

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends. if im at home, i tend to eat a really early lunch and dinner, so not usually (i get up between 3-4 am most days). so lunch for me, at 10, is most peoples lunchtime, if you go by how long ive been up. lol on those days i eat dinner early, too.

if im working, my lunch isnt till later, and ill have a small breakfast to get me through till 1 or so when i take my lunch. and dinner around 6 those days ( i go to bed super early - before 9 most of the time, and dont like to eat dinner too late)

• arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Gah, I need my breakfast first thing in the morning. Although, right now it's cereal which doesn't fill me up because I have a 4 month old so need something quick. I usually would have a protein pancake and that keeps me full most of the day so I don't snack. If I didn't have my breakfast I'd eat all day.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do eat breakfast now however I never did in the past in fact I didn't normally have a meal until 2-3 in the afternoon but then I didn't stop eating the rest of the day. mostly snacks then a big dinner. I think that added to my lack of success. Now I am eating 3 meals and 2 snacks.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8IF most days and usually don't start eating till 11am or noon.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've started eating breakfast at work at about 10am (wake up at about 6:30). I'm finding if I push back breakfast and lunch and I'm not getting that afternoon sluggish feeling before going home.
  • AutumnDancer26
    AutumnDancer26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is incredibly important to get your metabolism moving for the day, and is definitely not something to be overlooked. That being said, if you prefer to save your calories for later in the day, you don't need to eat calorie dense foods. Focus on protein. Think eggs and oatmeal. If you want, go carb free, that will keep up the fat burning cycle from your sleep (it stops when you eat your first carbs of the day). That being said, don't avoid carbs, just save them for later. Hope this helps!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I fall into different breakfast habits. The most common ways for me are either no breakfast at all or one that's a mix of high'ish fiber, protein, and fat.

From a weight management pov, the only way that badly messes me up is if I eat a high sugar and low fiber breakfast. If I eat that on an empty stomach first thing, then like clockwork I'm much hungrier the rest of the day than is normal for me. Fortunately my food preference is for savory and higher fiber foods anyway.

When I want to kill my appetite for the day, and sometimes I do, I'll deliberately eat a really high protein, low/no carb breakfast, like just beef. That suppresses my appetite so much for hours. Even the thought of food will turn my stomach until dinner time. I don't do that often, just when I want to have a low calorie day.

My fav breakfasts in terms of taste and the nice, steady energy supply they give me, plus the sated w/o stuffed feeling are those that are a decent mix of fiber, protein, and fat. If I eat breakfast, that's usually what I have.

Although I often fall into the habit of no breakfast, I prefer the way I feel with it. As long as I don't overdo it on the calories which makes me sluggish, I feel more energized during the day if I eat it.

I also find that for me it pretty much eliminates night time hunger, which makes it easier for me to intuitively eat the right amount of calories for my body. I like to do as much as I can to eat in a style that puts my appetite at or below my TDEE. I'm definitely not someone who likes to indefinitely calorie count, so being my ideal weight in the way that feels most effortless and enjoyable for me is eating in the ways I've learned do that for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The whole thing about breakfast is this -

Someone can have a 10pm snack then skip breakfast and have lunch at noon. That's 14 hours without eating.
    Someone can have dinner at 6pm and have breakfast at 8am - still 14 hours without eating.

So I really don't understand the whole 'must eat breakfast' thing. Naturally, you'll be less hungry for breakfast if you eat more/later at night. That's all there is to it.

I have breakfast when I'm hungry, whether it's 5am or 11am.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally, though never early in the morning. I guess I occasionally do brunch rather than breakfast. But on most days I don't eat anything until around 2 pm

If I eat early in the morning I have to fight the urge to overeat all day for some reason.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Breakfast is incredibly important to get your metabolism moving for the day, and is definitely not something to be overlooked. That being said, if you prefer to save your calories for later in the day, you don't need to eat calorie dense foods. Focus on protein. Think eggs and oatmeal. If you want, go carb free, that will keep up the fat burning cycle from your sleep (it stops when you eat your first carbs of the day). That being said, don't avoid carbs, just save them for later. Hope this helps!

My metabolism does not stop at night (thank God!). But there are other ways to get a slight temporary boost in metabolic rate than eating. Exercise or caffeine, for example.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The whole thing about breakfast is this -

Someone can have a 10pm snack then skip breakfast and have lunch at noon. That's 14 hours without eating.
    Someone can have dinner at 6pm and have breakfast at 8am - still 14 hours without eating.

So I really don't understand the whole 'must eat breakfast' thing. Naturally, you'll be less hungry for breakfast if you eat more/later at night. That's all there is to it.

I have breakfast when I'm hungry, whether it's 5am or 11am.
    Pretty much me here. I eat late into the night so breakfast isn't needed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kingdonle
    kingdonle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wake at 6am and eat when I get into work at about 8.30am. I usually have porridge with fruit which gets me through until midday. I've tried 16:8 intermittent fasting but I find that I binge in the evenings.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. One of my issues getting started on this journey to a healthier self was that I tended to eat until full. That usually meant eating too much and being lethargic afterward for hours. I skipped breakfast, ate a big lunch and fell into the trap of eating a "sensible dinner". Problem was, I ate the big (lets say huge) lunch, then tried to eat a sensible dinner, and ended up snacking later which blew the sensible dinner out the window. Once I started logging and figured out what I was doing I found the error of my ways.

It took me a while to get used to eating breakfast instead of just slamming coffee all morning. But once I found out that smaller meals more often worked better for me (everyone is different) I was able to control my calories easier without being hungry all the time. I now eat 3 meals a day with 2 snack periods, one snack mid-morning and one snack after dinner at night (if there are calories left). So for me, that ends up being more or less five meals. Breakfast is usually 400ish calories, mid morning snack is around 400 calories, lunch is around 500 calories, and dinner is usually around 800 calories or a tad higher. Then my late snack is up to 400 calories. I work out five days a week for about 1.5 hours and have been in maintenance for a while, so my daily average calorie intake being 6'2" tall is around 2500 calories to maintain my weight. I'm sure someone in a deficit would be lower, and may have to lower the calories of each meal, but you get the idea. Since I've been eating like this for the last year I have found I am unable to gorge myself like I used to do at meals, which is a good thing. I get full much faster and it makes it even easier to control calories at each meal/snack.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

No. Just, no.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    A small amount of fat and protein helps keep me from being starvinng and eating crap at work later in the day.

About 3/4 cup of full-fat cottage cheese and a cup of coffee will keep me going all morning.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I didn't but now I do. There are no physiological benefits to either but fasting for longer can help people stick to their calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »
    I hear so many different things how not eating breakfast makes you less hungry. Do you find this true anddo you eat breakfest?

Don't go buy things you hear or whatever...go by what works for you. Yes, I eat breakfast...I love breakfast.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I eat breakfast if I'm hungry in the morning, skip it if I'm not. When I do eat breakfast, I tend to eat a small one -- I like to eat a big dinner, have wine or cocktails after, and snack before bed, so save as many calories as I can for all that. I'm also not normally ravenous in the morning, even if I do wake up hungry, so something small suits me fine.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I've started eating breakfast at work at about 10am (wake up at about 6:30). I'm finding if I push back breakfast and lunch and I'm not getting that afternoon sluggish feeling before going home.

This!
    When I skip breakfast and lunch, I'm burning fat and I have a steady energy level unlike if I eat breakfast and then get real hungry for lunch then have a crash after lunch and need something to keep going. All that blood sugar roller-coaster has gone away and I feel like exercising (fasted) after work whereas before when I would eat break and lunch I would not feel like working out.