macro ratios that work best for you?

Options
I started working with a friend who is a trainer..he suggested 25f 25c and 50p
I tried it for a few weeks and I just about died..I wasn't sure if I just wasn't used to esting so strictly or if it wasn't the right macro ratios for me! it seemed like I was honestly doing better with more carb intake. I did lose 6 pounds in the 4 weeks, but with it being so strict it made eating healthy not so enjoyable.
I would be happy with 15 more pounds to be gone:)

anyways.. just wondering what some of your personal macro ratios are... thanks in advance:)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is calculate how much protein you need. (1gr per pound of lean mass) and then calculate how much fat you need. (.4gr per pound of weight). Then fill in the rest with carbs and try to stay relatively close to those numbers. Macro breakdown isn't all that important.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    MFP's default of 50%C-20%P-30%F has worked well for me.

Another popular macro distribution is the Zone one of 40%C-30%P-30%F.
  • B28Elliott
    B28Elliott Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Best thing to do is calculate how much protein you need. (1gr per pound of lean mass) and then calculate how much fat you need. (.4gr per pound of weight). Then fill in the rest with carbs and try to stay relatively close to those numbers. Macro breakdown isn't all that important.

so are you saying calories are more important?
    tad lost on which one to focus more on
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    MFP's default of 50%C-20%P-30%F has worked well for me.

Another popular macro distribution is the Zone one of 40%C-30%P-30%F.

thanks for the Info...I've been told so many different things it's all a jumble to me lol
    thanks again
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    B28Elliott wrote: »

Yes to lose weight calories are what is the key...staying in a calorie deficit guarantees weight loss not staying in a macro ratio.

Those are for body composition....and they are quite personal actually.

I prefer a 45/30/25 ratio for myself but may change it to 40/30/30 this year to see how it works as I find my fat intake is about 30% anyway.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Calorie are by far the most important. Yes.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yes to lose weight calories are what is the key...staying in a calorie deficit guarantees weight loss not staying in a macro ratio.

Those are for body composition....and they are quite personal actually.

I prefer a 45/30/25 ratio for myself but may change it to 40/30/30 this year to see how it works as I find my fat intake is about 30% anyway.

great..I'll focus more on my calories then! thank you
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Someone should post the pyramid.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    well there are so many different articles,"diet plans",and fitness gurus telling you all different stuff so I always get confused as to which direction I need to go with my clean eating...
    I've been trying to eliminate alot of processed foods and eating as healthy as possible (after xmas holidays course..blah)
    I also want to make sure I get enough protein in me but enough of the healthy fats and carbs to keep me satisfied.

....I'll focus on my calories more and not stress over it as long as I am eating clean I guess:)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've got MFP set with 25%p, which give me around 105g so I just make sure to hit 100g. Well above any recommended minimum but below the numbers I see on body builder sites. If I went by them I'd be needing close to double that and I don't see that happening. On days that I'm below, I'll grab a protein shake but I try to get it all from food.

Focus on calories for weight loss but be sure to get enough protein and good fats.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I also endorse this response but you could drop protein to 0.8g/lb of lbm if needed.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    I've got MFP set with 25%p, which give me around 105g so I just make sure to hit 100g. Well above any recommended minimum but below the numbers I see on body builder sites. If I went by them I'd be needing close to double that and I don't see that happening. On days that I'm below, I'll grab a protein shake but I try to get it all from food.

Focus on calories for weight loss but be sure to get enough protein and good fats.

got it..thankkkkk yeww
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Definitely focus on calories overall. Are you active, do you exercise or lift?
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    Definitely focus on calories overall. Are you active, do you exercise or lift?

I am active!! which is why I think the low carb was to hard for me! mon-sat and I take Sundays off.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    I do 45/25/30p and works fine - like the carbs to fuel workouts :) Hope you smash your targets :D

yessss I am almost positive I did better with more carbs for that exact reason lol. thanks same to u
  • lanna91
    lanna91 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    not to get confusing, but yes if your goal is strictly weight loss then focus more on calorie. but if you would like body re-composition then macros are more/equally as important. the macros he gave you is not nearly enough food unless maybe you are very sedentary? the suggested breakdowns here that others have posted are more manageable. i like to keep my fat around 50g and my carbs close to 200g and this seems to give me enough to enjoy eating and have a lot of options in my diet, and i have around 158 grams of protein. i am a body builder so i lift and cardio frequently. i just wanted to make sure you knew that eating strictly in terms of calories you will see your body shrink but not much as far as shape change if that is your goal to be more firm as you workout and change your eating. Good luck and great question!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    lanna91 wrote: »
    not to get confusing, but yes if your goal is strictly weight loss then focus more on calorie. but if you would like body re-composition then macros are more/equally as important. the macros he gave you is not nearly enough food unless maybe you are very sedentary? the suggested breakdowns here that others have posted are more manageable. i like to keep my fat around 50g and my carbs close to 200g and this seems to give me enough to enjoy eating and have a lot of options in my diet, and i have around 158 grams of protein. i am a body builder so i lift and cardio frequently. i just wanted to make sure you knew that eating strictly in terms of calories you will see your body shrink but not much as far as shape change if that is your goal to be more firm as you workout and change your eating. Good luck and great question!

You seem to be confused, those are percentages, not grams.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    well there are so many different articles,"diet plans",and fitness gurus telling you all different stuff so I always get confused as to which direction I need to go with my clean eating...
    I've been trying to eliminate alot of processed foods and eating as healthy as possible (after xmas holidays course..blah)
    I also want to make sure I get enough protein in me but enough of the healthy fats and carbs to keep me satisfied.

....I'll focus on my calories more and not stress over it as long as I am eating clean I guess:)

And there are some of the other confusing things you don't have to worry about.

What you should think about though, just to to sum up what others have mentioned already:
    Get in adequate calories.
    Get in adequate amounts of fat and protein.
    Eat an overall healthy diet.
    Eat food you like in a schedule that fits your lifestyle.

Not that complicated.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    yeah..thanks for that sum up
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I do 40p/40c/20f