macro ratios that work best for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• B28Elliott
    B28Elliott Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do 40p/40c/20f

yeah ill be going with something like this while focusing on the calories....other stuff was depressing lol
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Calories will be the main control of weight loss. Macros can be adjusted to hit health or activity/lifestyle goals.

My macros are 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat. About.

There is no minimum for carbs. You could go for zero if you wished. Below 100-150g is usually considered low carb. That's often up to 25-30% of a person's macros. Up to around 40-50% is moderate.

Protein has a minimum. .8g/lb is a good goal. I think it usually works out to about 10% of your macros as a minimum. Most people eat more, especially if lifting. I am guessing that no one will ever NEED more than 30-35%. Beyond that it is probably a personal preference.

Fat has a minimum too. Usually 5-10%. This can be increased according to a person's goals and preferences.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am not nearly as active as you and happy with 20 carb, 40 fat/protein. sounds like your body is craving more carbs...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    B28Elliott wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Best thing to do is calculate how much protein you need. (1gr per pound of lean mass) and then calculate how much fat you need. (.4gr per pound of weight). Then fill in the rest with carbs and try to stay relatively close to those numbers. Macro breakdown isn't all that important.

so are you saying calories are more important?
    tad lost on which one to focus more on

A calorie is a unit of energy. When you consume energy that is roughly equivalent to expenditure, you maintain...when you consume energy in excess, that surplus energy is stored as body fat...when you consume less energy than you expend, you burn body fat (stored energy) to make up for the deficiency...

Calories are overwhelmingly what matters to weight loss. Macros have more to do with your nutritional profile, performance, composition, etc.
  • B28Elliott
    B28Elliott Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    B28Elliott wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Best thing to do is calculate how much protein you need. (1gr per pound of lean mass) and then calculate how much fat you need. (.4gr per pound of weight). Then fill in the rest with carbs and try to stay relatively close to those numbers. Macro breakdown isn't all that important.

so are you saying calories are more important?
    tad lost on which one to focus more on

A calorie is a unit of energy. When you consume energy that is roughly equivalent to expenditure, you maintain...when you consume energy in excess, that surplus energy is stored as body fat...when you consume less energy than you expend, you burn body fat (stored energy) to make up for the deficiency...

Calories are overwhelmingly what matters to weight loss. Macros have more to do with your nutritional profile, performance, composition, etc.

thanks you for explaining it, I actually understood that ha! thanks again
  • DianeRippere
    DianeRippere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am at a place where I need some help. I've lost 60 pounds and can confirm that calories were the way but I totally did it with not enough calories and am paying the price w/malnutrition now. I thought that if I just cut down to 1000 calories a day since I'm sedentary I'd get the weight off fast and then get into exercise to firm up. I did that for about 7 months. Well, I am about 15 pounds from my goal but have lost muscle and 3/4 of my hair started falling out overnight about 2 months ago. My doctor told me to increase to at least 1500 calories a day and if exercising that day, 1800 and eat the fat I'd avoided. I've been doing that for about a month now and am feeling better. He also said the way I did it with the restricting of calories like that has made me smaller (yeah) but a smaller FAT person because I lost muscle. I've been so big all my adult life so smaller is nice but malnutrition, lousy looking thin hair and nails, dry skin and a just a smaller fat person is a pretty high price for this change. A friend is a trainer and has given me a core workout to get stronger in my torso and legs plus cardio and suggests THEN I get into more of a traditional exercise program. He said 1800 calories EVERY day...I feel I'd gain weight on that so I'm doing what the doctor suggested. He says 6 weeks of this and we'll talk!

I'm not sure I know what micro-nutrients are, just carbs, fats and protein? Yesterday I had 87 g carbs, 63 g fats, 129 g protein in 1453 calories, sedentary day. Does that make sense for rebuilding my health while slowly losing about 15 more pounds?

Thanks for the topic B28Elliott!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am at a place where I need some help. I've lost 60 pounds and can confirm that calories were the way but I totally did it with not enough calories and am paying the price w/malnutrition now. I thought that if I just cut down to 1000 calories a day since I'm sedentary I'd get the weight off fast and then get into exercise to firm up. I did that for about 7 months. Well, I am about 15 pounds from my goal but have lost muscle and 3/4 of my hair started falling out overnight about 2 months ago. My doctor told me to increase to at least 1500 calories a day and if exercising that day, 1800 and eat the fat I'd avoided. I've been doing that for about a month now and am feeling better. He also said the way I did it with the restricting of calories like that has made me smaller (yeah) but a smaller FAT person because I lost muscle. I've been so big all my adult life so smaller is nice but malnutrition, lousy looking thin hair and nails, dry skin and a just a smaller fat person is a pretty high price for this change. A friend is a trainer and has given me a core workout to get stronger in my torso and legs plus cardio and suggests THEN I get into more of a traditional exercise program. He said 1800 calories EVERY day...I feel I'd gain weight on that so I'm doing what the doctor suggested. He says 6 weeks of this and we'll talk!

I'm not sure I know what micro-nutrients are, just carbs, fats and protein? Yesterday I had 87 g carbs, 63 g fats, 129 g protein in 1453 calories, sedentary day. Does that make sense for rebuilding my health while slowly losing about 15 more pounds?

Thanks for the topic B28Elliott!

Not sure if you are willing to do this, but would you be kind enough to start a new thread outlining just what you posted? I think it is a great lesson for those who come here wanting to do extremely low calorie diets to show just why they are so wrong.

Protein, fat and carbs are you MACRO nutrients. And what you posted sounds pretty good. I'd be more concerned with rebuilding your health and put the weight loss on hold if needed.

• Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of If It fits your macros... I use the calculator on that website to set my percentages for Macros