1600 Calorie Day Woman

Options

Replies

• clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    It nice to see something other than the 1200 limit which is way to low in my opinion.

I'm female, 49, 5'8" 125lbs. My BMR is 1288 and my BMI is within normal range. I usually eat my full 1200 calories, a but more if I am particularly active that day. I eat very well - mostly whole food, balanced mix of unrefined carbs, lean protein and healthy fat - always meet 25g of fibre from food sources, and most nutrient minimums. I eat eggs, avocado, peanut butter and olive oil, quinoa, sprouted bread almost every day. Don't remember the last time I ate a potato chip - no desire to = no deprivation and nutrient - dense calories.

Please be open-minded. 1200 calories is perfectly healthy for some people, if done right. Remember that the more overweight you are, the more calories your body needs.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    clags301 wrote: »
    It nice to see something other than the 1200 limit which is way to low in my opinion.

I'm female, 49, 5'8" 125lbs. My BMR is 1288 and my BMI is within normal range. I usually eat my full 1200 calories, a but more if I am particularly active that day. I eat very well - mostly whole food, balanced mix of unrefined carbs, lean protein and healthy fat - always meet 25g of fibre from food sources, and most nutrient minimums. I eat eggs, avocado, peanut butter and olive oil, quinoa, sprouted bread almost every day. Don't remember the last time I ate a potato chip - no desire to = no deprivation and nutrient - dense calories.

Please be open-minded. 1200 calories is perfectly healthy for some people, if done right. Remember that the more overweight you are, the more calories your body needs.

But what is your TDEE? If you are 5'8 and 125 lbs, you are already at the lower end of the healthy BMI range. Are you trying to lose weight? BMR is the basic amount of calories needed to keep you alive, so if you are only eating 1200, you are likely losing weight, not maintaining.

• clags301
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

But what is your TDEE? If you are 5'8 and 125 lbs, you are already at the lower end of the healthy BMI range. Are you trying to lose weight? BMR is the basic amount of calories needed to keep you alive, so if you are only eating 1200, you are likely losing weight, not maintaining.
    I was maintaining, but gained a little travelling in Europe in December. My "happy" weight is 120 - this is when I feel my best and my clothes fit the best. So, once I'm back to that, I will change back to naintain. When you are at your ideal weight, there is not a lot of difference between maintaining and losing, since healthy calorie minimum is 1200. It is much harder to crest a deficit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My base calories are 1500, so close enough. Here is how today went for me, for ideas:

361ui00ub8vj.png
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I was maintaining, but gained a little travelling in Europe in December. My "happy" weight is 120 - this is when I feel my best and my clothes fit the best. So, once I'm back to that, I will change back to naintain. When you are at your ideal weight, there is not a lot of difference between maintaining and losing, since healthy calorie minimum is 1200. It is much harder to crest a deficit.

I understand that, as I'm also maintaining a healthy weight... but the point is that you are referencing your BMR as being 1288. What is your TDEE? It's certainly higher than that, and as such, you should be aiming to eat 250 cals below your TDEE, not your BMR.

• clags301
    Options

I understand that, as I'm also maintaining a healthy weight... but the point is that you are referencing your BMR as being 1288. What is your TDEE? It's certainly higher than that, and as such, you should be aiming to eat 250 cals below your TDEE, not your BMR.
    My TDEE is 1489, so pretty much right in line with what you mention.
    Cheers.

• WinoGelato
    Options

Cheers.

That seems low for someone as tall as you? Are you choosing a sedentary activity level? Do you exercise?
  • clags301
    Options

Cheers.

That seems low for someone as tall as you? Are you choosing a sedentary activity level? Do you exercise?

I'm good. It's my age - 49. Caloric requirements drop as you age. At 1200, I am losing less than 1 pound every two weeks - perimenopausal hormones are game changers. I have noticed a dramatic change in my ability to drop excess pounds.

And yes, fairly sedentary right now, but even when I adjust to light, my calorie requirement stays at 1200 and moderate moves it to 1210.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Cheers.

It also seems low for someone whose BMR is reportedly 1288 and who isn't confined to bed or a motorized wheelchair, which I'm assuming not, since the person you're responding to refers to having some days that are "particularly active."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Cheers.

I'm good. It's my age - 49. Caloric requirements drop as you age. At 1200, I am losing less than 1 pound every two weeks - perimenopausal hormones are game changers. I have noticed a dramatic change in my ability to drop excess pounds.

And yes, fairly sedentary right now, but even when I adjust to light, my calorie requirement stays at 1200 and moderate moves it to 1210.

When you only have 5 pounds to lose, a half a pound a week is a fabulous rate of loss. When I put in your height, age, and lightly active, MFP gives me 1490 calories for this.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use to have a variety of things but on in a strict budget right now so I eat whatever is in the cabinets lol
  • rutterkr
    rutterkr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1560 at the moment, feel free to add me, I am filling in my diary every day and it is open to friends. I tend to have muesli and low fat yoghurt for breakfast, sometimes with fruit. If I need a treat I have a piece of toast with a thin spread of nutella. I have replaced thick sliced bread with sandwich thins at lunchtime, and I often have one of those with a bit of cheese and ham. Some days I have dinner leftovers, or sometimes an omelette or a salad, or a little bit of quiche. I tend to save the bulk of my calories for my evening meal where possible. I try to be about 50-100 under on weekdays so I have a bit of a "bank" to spend on wine at the weekend. Recent evening meals have been goulash, home made pizza, spaghetti bolognese, steak and cheese sandwich, tagliatelle with sausage meatballs, frozen fish and chips.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Cheers.

I'm 45 and 5"8 and my TDEE is around 2200-2400. 143lbs is the absolute lowest weight i'll go, anything under that makes me look sick and gaunt, or as one of my friends pointed out.. "a cancer victim".

Something seems amiss with your calories @clags301 , at your height you should be able to eat a lot more than 1200 calories. I'm assuming you are not trying to lose now though??
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1800, but I calorie cycle as follows-
    3 low days - 1550
    3 medium days - 1850
    1 high/"maintenance" day- 2400
    I try to keep protein fairly high. Diary is open.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cheers.

When you only have 5 pounds to lose, a half a pound a week is a fabulous rate of loss. When I put in your height, age, and lightly active, MFP gives me 1490 calories for this.

I just think something is amiss if a 5'8 female believes their TDEE is under 1500 calories. I know I'm pretty active, and that my NEAT is higher than many, but I'm in my 40s and only 5'2 my TDEE is 2200. A 5'8 healthy female shouldn't have to eat 1200 to lose weight.

• WinoGelato
    Options

Cheers.

I'm 45 and 5"8 and my TDEE is around 2200-2400. 143lbs is the absolute lowest weight i'll go, anything under that makes me look sick and gaunt, or as one of my friends pointed out.. "a cancer victim".

Something seems amiss with your calories @clags301 , at your height you should be able to eat a lot more than 1200 calories. I'm assuming you are not trying to lose now though??

Actually she said above that she's trying to get back down to 120, which is underweight according to BMI charts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Cheers.

Actually she said above that she's trying to get back down to 120, which is underweight according to BMI charts.

Oh boy :confused:
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    Snack Ideas
    Cheerios (100 calories per a cup)
    Pomegranate (275 calories per a fruit)
    Apple (80 calories per a fruit)

Breakfast Ideas
    Cheerios or any other healthy cereal
    Fruity Crepes
    Fruit salad
    Apple or orange with a granola bar
    Toast

Lunch Ideas
    Salad (use only a little dressing)
    Cheese and crackers with veggies or fruit

Dinner Ideas
    Carrots
    Green beans
    Turkey
    Chicken
    Ratatouille
    Asparagus (extremely low on calories)
    Sushi
    Anti pasta spread
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I typically eat between 16-1800/day with no exercise. I have a pretty conservative deficit which is why i'm allotted 1800 per day. But I usually stay within the 16-1700 range.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I aim for between 1600 and 2000. I do keep pretty busy though. I tend to fit in a variety of foods depending on my mood.

Breakfast: either pancake and eggs, or french toast, or protein powder smoothie (I don't do mornings, so this is a quick grab), sometimes oatmeal with extra fruit, steel cut oats with raisins and applesauce, or cereal.

Lunch and Supper will vary: but I tend to batch cook and then freeze in single servings, so that I have ready to grab meals ranging from 300-500 calories. These meals vary: vegetarian lasagna, chili, stuffed manicotti, corn chowder, etc. I just grab some fruit, veggies, yogurt, and cheese to snack on.

Before bed: depending on number of calories remaining some cookies or some ice cream.

Knowing there is a treat at the end of the day helps me stay on target through the rest of the day. I can lose up to 2lbs/week doing this.