VENT.

Options
2»

Replies

• active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    but that is where google-fu comes in handy - PM me the brand if you want - i'm curious

Alright :) will pm you :) !
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Basically, bread varies within quite a small amount per 100g - seedy breads will be a bit higher due to oils in the seeds.

All the low cal breads work by basically giving you a smaller slice - thinner, and/ or a few square cm smaller face size. Also by a lighter fluffier rise.

So my go-to dense seedy loaf when not dieting is about 300cals/100g, and my lowest non-seedy diet bread is 249cals/100g.

But the slices are only a wee bit smaller but a lot thinner, and a bit insubstantial feeling, so are less than half the weight, and not much more than 1/3rds the calories. (51 vs 137)

So it is easy to make a low calorie sandwich with the diet bread, but it is clearly different.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    you probably didn't read it closely. most breads do a serving size for 1. if you mut do bread try a lower calorie one. the one i have is 40 cals a slice and its just as good as any main bread

There's nothing wrong with regular breads. I typically eat 2-4 slices per day without problem. It has a lot to do with the other choices one is making throughout the day.

OP, if you enjoy bread, eat it. I like to occasionally look at my whole day and see if I am finding myself feeling full and meeting my goals. If the answer to either of those is no, then it's time to re-evaluate.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    So I am really pissed because I now understand why I gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. A product implied that 2 slices contained 65 calories. I was quite impressed and loved that product and so I was eating quite a lot of it. Recently they changed their label and wrote that in fact , one slice contains 65 calories not 2. So basically I was eating double the calories . This is just to warn you guys to be aware of labels as they can be deceiving. As for me , I am back to being on a calorie deficit I guess! :(

You ate 17,500 calories of this product? That's a lot of bread...

Doing the math that's 538 slices of bread in 2 weeks. (each slice was 32.5 calories more than you thought, gaining 5 lbs means eating 17,500 calories more than you thought, 17,500/32.5 = 538.46)

That is 38.5 slices of bread a day (roughly 2 full loafs), every day, for 2 weeks. I'm guessing you didn't really eat that much so the weight gain isn't JUST from the mislabeling. If you did eat that much of it you should probably try to eat a little more variety.

I agree that mislabeling is very annoying though.

I've been eating the bread for more than 2 weeks but during these 2 weeks , i ate a lot more of it and also gained weight . But yeah , it does sound impossible , you are right ! But still , my point is thag mislabeling sucks !

I agree with what the posters above are saying; however, it's most likely that you have been making similar mistakes with other products as well, and realizing this issue with the bread will help you to avoid similar logging errors in the future. So no, you didn't eat 17,500 calories of the bread in those 2 weeks, but you may have been underestimating your intake of other foods as well, so it's good that you realized what was happening. :smile:

Most of that 5 lbs is likely to be water weight, though. Our weight fluctuates naturally on a daily basis, so I wouldn't stress too much.

I doubt it. Im very strict with my calories ! Its not my fault but theirs , because they mislabbeled it. But yes , you are right :) I wont stress to much either :) will probably eat in a slight deficit for a week or 2 and thats it :)

Oh, I wasn't saying "it's your fault," I was more or less saying that logging errors such as the one you made with the bread are common, which is why I'm such a vehement believer in the almighty Food Scale. I made similar errors in the beginning and was amazed at the difference in how much I thought I was eating and how much I was actually eating simply by not weighing/measuring my food properly. So please don't take that as an attack on your intelligence or ability to log - it's just a very common thing that happens and is the root of most "plateaus" and gradual weight gains when trying to log.
  • active562
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    you probably didn't read it closely. most breads do a serving size for 1. if you mut do bread try a lower calorie one. the one i have is 40 cals a slice and its just as good as any main bread

There's nothing wrong with regular breads. I typically eat 2-4 slices per day without problem. It has a lot to do with the other choices one is making throughout the day.

OP, if you enjoy bread, eat it. I like to occasionally look at my whole day and see if I am finding myself feeling full and meeting my goals. If the answer to either of those is no, then it's time to re-evaluate.

Yes I have no problem with eating bread but my point is that mislabelling caused me to gain weight
  • active562
    Options
    So I am really pissed because I now understand why I gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. A product implied that 2 slices contained 65 calories. I was quite impressed and loved that product and so I was eating quite a lot of it. Recently they changed their label and wrote that in fact , one slice contains 65 calories not 2. So basically I was eating double the calories . This is just to warn you guys to be aware of labels as they can be deceiving. As for me , I am back to being on a calorie deficit I guess! :(

Doing the math that's 538 slices of bread in 2 weeks. (each slice was 32.5 calories more than you thought, gaining 5 lbs means eating 17,500 calories more than you thought, 17,500/32.5 = 538.46)

That is 38.5 slices of bread a day (roughly 2 full loafs), every day, for 2 weeks. I'm guessing you didn't really eat that much so the weight gain isn't JUST from the mislabeling. If you did eat that much of it you should probably try to eat a little more variety.

I've been eating the bread for more than 2 weeks but during these 2 weeks , i ate a lot more of it and also gained weight . But yeah , it does sound impossible , you are right ! But still , my point is thag mislabeling sucks !

I agree with what the posters above are saying; however, it's most likely that you have been making similar mistakes with other products as well, and realizing this issue with the bread will help you to avoid similar logging errors in the future. So no, you didn't eat 17,500 calories of the bread in those 2 weeks, but you may have been underestimating your intake of other foods as well, so it's good that you realized what was happening. :smile:

Most of that 5 lbs is likely to be water weight, though. Our weight fluctuates naturally on a daily basis, so I wouldn't stress too much.

I doubt it. Im very strict with my calories ! Its not my fault but theirs , because they mislabbeled it. But yes , you are right :) I wont stress to much either :) will probably eat in a slight deficit for a week or 2 and thats it :)

Oh, I wasn't saying "it's your fault," I was more or less saying that logging errors such as the one you made with the bread are common, which is why I'm such a vehement believer in the almighty Food Scale. I made similar errors in the beginning and was amazed at the difference in how much I thought I was eating and how much I was actually eating simply by not weighing/measuring my food properly. So please don't take that as an attack on your intelligence or ability to log - it's just a very common thing that happens and is the root of most "plateaus" and gradual weight gains when trying to log.

Oh I did not take it like that dont worry :) Sorry , if I sounded like I did ! I get what you are saying and I completely agree. But the thing is , I did measure it and the weight did agree with the old labels ! But once the new packages came in , it did not agree with them obviously
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yes I have no problem with eating bread but my point is that mislabelling caused me to gain weight

I felt that had been covered nicely by others (re: the label difference and the weight gain). My point was directed at the poster saying that if you need to eat bread, it should be the low cal stuff. I didn't feel you needed to be told you had to switch the type of bread you were eating to fit someone else's concept of what you should eat. Carry on! Labels can be a tricky thing to get used to.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    thats a whole hell of a lot of bread. even in 2 weeks time :/

the weight gain has to be attributed to more than just bread
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    thats a whole hell of a lot of bread. even in 2 weeks time :/

the weight gain has to be attributed to more than just bread

Exactly. You didn't eat 17,500 extra calories in bread alone probably not even a small percentage of that
  • active562
    Options
    It probably is not all weight gain then , as I said , it may be water retention as well as I am on estrogen medication .
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Logically, that's only 65 extra calories per sandwich/meal. So while the mislabling is a problem I don't think it's had the impact you think it has. Even if you ate 3 sandwiches a day, that's still only 200 calories give or take. Barely half a pound. If you're already eating at a deficit I can't see that being the sole culprit, or even a significant culprit, in any real fat gain.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    but that is where google-fu comes in handy - PM me the brand if you want - i'm curious

Hi, what'd you find out? I'm curious, too!