Would you still workout, even if you didn't feel up to it?

Options
It's one of those days I guess.

Replies

• cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I just felt lazy then yes, I would. I would feel better after. If I wasn't feeling well, as in ill, then no, I would take a rest day.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Well . . . normally I would say yes but today I just can't get motivated enough to even think how I can reach my 6 mile step goal :) (but I also have a cold). Normally, if I just really feel like a need a day off I just take it. If I choose to workout anyway I don't think I can recall a time when I regretted it afterwards.

Just don't let it become a habit!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Usually yes. I know that once I get to the gym and get warmed up that I'll feel better. And leaving the gym on days like that feels like such a big win. Also good reasons to have some sort of gym buddy to help hype you up and drag you there
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    it depends whats going on....if my body is sore then no...but if i'm just lazy, yeah i make myself go.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    There's a couple different things that come into play in order to answer this question. Ask yourself a few things.

#1 Do you just feel like skipping the gym?
    #2 Are your prioritizing incorrectly? (i.e. making the excuse of "I need to go home and do laundry" when it can wait until after, or tomorrow)
    #3 Do you not feel up to it because your body is sore? Then, ask yourself if it's something you can power through. Oftentimes working out helps to alleviate muscle soreness and reduce the lactic acid build up.
    #4 Do you feel physically exhausted or sick? In this case, yes, take a break. Listen to your body.

For the most part, I hit the gym if I don't feel up to it. If I'm not there before work, I'll get there after. I fit in at least 5 lifts x week, but I aim for 6. But here I am being hypocritical because I'm most likely gonna skip tonight (snowstorm coming and I'm not trying to drive home in the middle of the storm for my 90-minute commute) BUT I'll still technically get six lifts in because I'm gonna go before and after work tomorrow.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Stepping foot in the gym automatically makes me feel like I'm up for it. It's like stepping into a challenge. You're already there, you might as well make every moment count.
  • quartknee11
    quartknee11 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yep. Past 3 days I haven't been up to it (mainly because it's a 25-30 minute drive to the gym) but I've still been going and feel amazing afterwards
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If I only did things I felt up to my life would be in a sorry state.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Is it because of sickiness, soreness, laziness? I generally will push through each time. If I'm sick, I'll workout at home to not bring germs to the gym. If it's laziness or soreness, I still go. It's why I bring my gym clothes with me to work b/c that way I can't let laziness take over. Put on my gym clothes before leaving work and head straight there. But I also have scheduled rest days. If you're someone who works out every day and rarely take rest days, it could be your body telling you it needs a break.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    If I only did things I felt up to my life would be in a sorry state.

LOL THIS.

I'm starting to learn that, as an adult, I just gotta go get it done. i.e. the things that will benefit me long-term in life. How I "feel" takes a backseat. :expressionless:

(assuming it's just being mentally checked out)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's one of those days I guess.

Depends...up to it how? Like am I sick? I'd probably rest and recover. Have I gone too long without a rest day? I'd probably take one. Am I just feeling like going home and having a beer instead? Nope...I'm hitting the gym.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm unwell then I always drag myself to do it, and usually feel so much better when I'm finished :smile:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I don't always feel up to it. But the work always gets done.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do it anyway.

I can't give myself permission to skip just because. Because then I will skip just because.

If I'm sick or injured- thats different, but otherwise- It has to get done. I am always glad I did it.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Depends. If it comes down to just not being in the mood, then I'll force myself to do it and I always feel better afterwards. If I'm feeling run down and think I might be getting sick, then I take the day off.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My strength workouts are non-negotiable. But my cardio is mostly for fun, so I might skip it, or do something a bit lighter. I'd make an exception for fever or injury.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, I have three young kids and a full time job... I never 'feel up to it' but I do it. I have had 11hrs of sleep in the past three nights combined (sick toddler) and is still worked out everyday to keep up my routine.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You're not allowed to decide how you feel until after the warm-up.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did this morning. I didn't feel like it at all, but then I thought A. I'll feel worse later on if I don't do it, and B. I know I'll feel glad I did after I'm finished because that's ALWAYS how I feel after a workout. Sometimes you have to mentally fast forward and realize what needs to be done in the present. This works for me in terms of my diet, and even things that need to be done at work or even at home.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I never regret it when I do but I often regret it when I don't